More spelling & grammar errors these days?

Everything cultural, pop or otherwise. Books, movies, music, comics, poetry, random cultural geekery.
JKosprey

Re: More spelling & grammar errors these days?

Post by JKosprey »

Yogimus wrote:
JKosprey wrote: I am daily astounded by the lack of skill displayed.
I am astounded daily by the lack of skill displayed.
I see you're poking me, and I'm okay with that because I am willing to admit to not being perfect.

The type of issues I'm talking about don't even allow understanding without interpritation. It's often like reading a foreign language. In some cases it is, because we have an international student program, but in many cases involves students born, raised and educated, in the US.

There is a reason that I mentioned a difference between traditional sense and the idea of understanding. I don't claim to know every rule of grammar, and I don't claim to with the students that come to me. But there IS a difference between "This is technically incorrect, but it flows well and makes perfect sense" and "I require interpretation for every sentence in this essay."

A large portion of the students I see can barely string a coherent sentence together. They have trouble distinguishing between past tense and present tense and use them interchangeably. They mistake homophones and have trouble with words on my elementary school vocabulary list.
arctictom

Post by arctictom »

The world has changed , for the worse and is continuing to degrade spelling, grammar proper annunciation are symptoms of a larger systemic collapse.
The correct course is to cover your own ass , and look for creative alternatives to survive the on coming mess, ymmv.
You live and learn.
Or you don't live long.
308Mike

Post by 308Mike »

Here's another example of poorly written PROFESSIONAL reporter's written prose (FoxNews.com):
Brown then came out of the room and shot the woman who had answered the door in the stomach.
How do you answer a door in the stomach? :roll: :roll: :roll: ;)

I am thinking of starting a thread with such examples for us to examine and discuss - it's too bad we wouldn't be able to get the editors to pay attention to the effects of their poor-writing employees. If so, all we'd hear would be excuses and the lack of writing skill displayed by the new employees.

These morons don't understand that THEY help control the level of acceptable writing in the professional writing world. And then THEY complain about reading the writing of their competitors without even looking at their own employee's writing.
POLITICIANS & DIAPERS NEED TO BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON

A person properly schooled in right and wrong is safe with any weapon. A person with no idea of good and evil is unsafe with a knitting needle, or the cap from a ballpoint pen.

I remain pessimistic given the way BATF and the anti gun crowd have become tape worms in the guts of the Republic. - toad
Denis

Post by Denis »

Yogimus wrote:
Hey, Magyar - stop baiting the poor 'Muricans. They do their best with a language they can never master ;-)
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

Hookt on Fonix rilly werkt fer me!
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
Darrell

Post by Darrell »

As already mentioned, IMO sloppy writing reflects sloppy thinking. I am constantly amazed and disgusted when visiting arfcom--many of the members there can barely put together a coherent thought. I sometimes ask if English is their first language. What's worse,some of those people brag about being college graduates. Hell, I wonder that some of them can even feed themselves. :roll:
Eppur si muove--Galileo
Denis

Post by Denis »

Darrell wrote:... arfcom ... members... Hell, I wonder that some of them can even feed themselves. :roll:
I think their moms usually just leave them milk and cookies at the top of the basement stairs.
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Denis wrote:
Darrell wrote:... arfcom ... members... Hell, I wonder that some of them can even feed themselves. :roll:
I think their moms usually just leave them milk and cookies at the top of the basement stairs.
You do know that "basement dweller" is a common pejorative thrown around over there, especially in GD, right? :lol:
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Termite

Post by Termite »

Yogimus wrote:
I am astounded...period. If we ever meet, the steak and beer [strike]is on me.[/strike] will be paid by me.
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."
Yogimus

Post by Yogimus »

The best part about glass houses is that you can beam fuckers in the head with rocks through walls.