Old man's lament??

Everything cultural, pop or otherwise. Books, movies, music, comics, poetry, random cultural geekery.
toad

Re: Old man's lament??

Post by toad »

I haven't seen a recent list but there were a number of private and some public schools that offered a "Great Books" four year educational track. All of the text books for the courses were books that where the first so to speak. You would have Euclid for a math book for example. Adam Smith for economics. All the rest of the subjects would follow that path. The University of North Texas used to have a program like that but I don't know if they still do and their online catalog is a dog's breakfest to figure out. I never checked but I assume that using material that the copyright had expired on long ago would lead to cheaper text books also. It is reported to be a rough road because of the writing styles and the requirements for the students to study and think are higher than regular courses. National Review Online used to print out a list of schools that had the programs. Most were Catholic colleges IIRC.
Aglifter

Re: Old man's lament??

Post by Aglifter »

St. John's had a program like that - they are also one if the few schools which will take ~ 14 year old students.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm Reliance on the Protection of Divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our lives, our Fortunes, & our sacred Honor

A gentleman unarmed is undressed.

Collects of 1903/08 Colt Pocket Auto