total n00b to guitar

Everything cultural, pop or otherwise. Books, movies, music, comics, poetry, random cultural geekery.
Highspeed

Re: total n00b to guitar

Post by Highspeed »

All my life I been in the dog house
I guess that just where I belong
That just the way the dice roll
Do my dog house song
MarkD

Post by MarkD »

HTRN wrote:The other big indicator? If you groan when you bend over to pick something up. :lol:
Been doing that for the last few years now.

A couple years ago I sat up in the morning and groaned. I said "That's my father's noise! I'm too young to be making my father's noise!"

And if you recall what show THAT was from, you're just as much an old fart as I am.
workinwifdakids

Post by workinwifdakids »

And may I say, from a moral point of view, I think there can be no justification for shoving snack cakes up your action.
--Weetabix
Denis

Post by Denis »

308Mike wrote:And I was yearning to learn an even smaller instrument, one which can be carried in a small pack or bag - a HARMONICA!
From the guy who used to play a Sousaphone, I can only encourage getting something which is pocket-portable, like a piccolo or harmonica.

The only trouble with learning those instruments is the requirement to stay alive during the time it takes to learn enough to play them properly - you have to avoid irate neighbours and furious family members whiel you practice.
toad

Post by toad »

Sigh, in the book version of "Starship Troopers" they had small electronic instruments that could duplicate larger acustic ones. This let a company in the field have it's own marching band. There is some stuff like that but it they are not quite there yet.
It would be great if you had an instrument that you could mute for apartment playing and use earphones to hear it and yet be able to let'er rip for a public performance.
toad

Post by toad »

Sigh, in the book version of "Starship Troopers" they had small electronic instruments that could duplicate larger acustic ones. This let a company in the field have it's own marching band. There is some stuff like that but it they are not quite there yet.
It would be great if you had an instrument that you could mute for apartment playing and use earphones to hear it and yet be able to let'er rip for a public performance.
I've had a couple of music mavens tell me their biggest mistake was not dilligently practicing their scales often enough. Simple sounding tunes often aren't apparently.
NVGdude

Post by NVGdude »

Buy a decent used 6-string acoustic. You buy a used guitar for the same reason you buy a used firearm, someone else takes the depreciation hit, if you decide you don't like it you can always sell it for what you have into it.

I always recommend a Seagull (made in Canada) or one of the Korean built Breedloves as a quality starter guitar. I've also seen old USA built Guild D-4 guitars sell for ridiculously good prices (under $400) on e-bay. There are a couple of nice Seagulls on my local craigslist for $220 which is a ridiculously good price for a guitar with a solid top.

80% of the sound of an acoustic guitar comes from the top piece of wood. You want one with a solid top instead of laminate.

Lessons are good, but you will get more out of them if you know a bit to start with. I really like the "Complete Guitar Player" series of books. Also these days you can buy a stupidly cheap electronic tuner for around $12. (I really like the SNARK). Long gone are the days of using a pitch pipe or piano and struggling to tune your instrument. For a beginner being able to quickly tune is huge in motivating you to actually play and practice.
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

MarkD wrote:A couple years ago I sat up in the morning and groaned. I said "That's my father's noise! I'm too young to be making my father's noise!"

And if you recall what show THAT was from, you're just as much an old fart as I am.
OOOooooh! OOOooooh! OOOOooooh! :lol:
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
MarkD

Post by MarkD »

HTRN wrote:
MarkD wrote:A couple years ago I sat up in the morning and groaned. I said "That's my father's noise! I'm too young to be making my father's noise!"

OOOooooh! OOOooooh! OOOOooooh! :lol:
Yes indeed, the cattle are dying!