Blurb from my NaNoWriMo for this year.

Everything cultural, pop or otherwise. Books, movies, music, comics, poetry, random cultural geekery.
Cybrludite

Blurb from my NaNoWriMo for this year.

Post by Cybrludite »

Treaty of Texarkana (Redirected from Texarkana Treaty)

The treaty which ended the Texas phase of the 2nd American Civil War in 2015.

Background: In July of 2014 the New Madrid Fault let go with a quake registering an estimated 8.7 on the Richter Scale. The Federal response was seen as being far too slow in the disaster area, and excessively heavy-handed in areas not directly impacted by the quake. Discontent peaked when the government announced the cancellation of the 2014 Congressional Election which, even before the quake, looked likely to flip control of the U.S. Senate. In response, there were demonstrations in all 50 states. When these demonstrations were met with a violent response, 32 states began legislative action on Articles of Secession. Of these, only the Republic of Texas and the Reconstituted Kingdom of Hawaii were successful.

The Federal's troubles in Texas began with the Ft. Hood Mutiny, which saw the troops initially ordered into action against the rebellious state refuse to act, and a sizable number of them going over to the rebels with most of their equipment. The Battles of Houston and Dallas/Ft. Worth hurt the aura of invincibility that the Federal forces had, and the Destruction of the Alamo by the U.S. Air Force using a JDAM enraged the Texans and, as word leaked out to the rest of the country, hurt what support the Federal government still had. The Southwest Louisiana Uprising cut off the land-based supply lines to the Marines in Houston and threatened the flank of the Army forces pushing from the north, forcing the Feds to come to terms.

Terms: Federal forces returned to American soil with their equipment. Texas' territory was legally defined as the pre-war state borders as well as Louisiana south of the Red River & west of the new course of the Mississippi River.

See Also:

AU-Sten SubMachine Gun
The Alamo
East Texas Parishes
Battle of Houston
Battle of Dallas/Ft. Worth
Bastille Day Earthquake
"If it ain't the Devil's Music, you ain't doin' it right." - Chris Thomas King

"When liberal democracies collapse, someone comes along who promises to make the trains run on time if we load the right people into them." - Tam K.
staylor

Re: Blurb from my NaNoWriMo for this year.

Post by staylor »

Now you just need to make all those underlined words into actual links :P .

Sounds good though if you can flesh it out.

However, IMHO, if Texas successfully seceded you would find a lot of other red states joining it. Texas leaving would permanently throw the federal government to the libs and make life far less tolerable for the remaining red states. Plus the secession of one state would set the precedent for others. Texas leaving the union would start off a cascade of secessions that the feds would be hard pressed to stop.
"Tyranny like Hell is not easily conquered yet we have this consolation with us, the harder the conflict, the more glorius the triumph"
Thomas Paine
skb12172

Post by skb12172 »

Would the West and Northeast then each become separate countries? What about Minnesota, Wisconsin, and isolated blue states like New Mexico?
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.
Rod

Post by Rod »

skb12172 wrote:Would the West and Northeast then each become separate countries? What about Minnesota, Wisconsin, and isolated blue states like New Mexico?
Quite possibly New Mexico would secede. It's also possible that they'd join the other secessionist states. Their economy is tied in more to the red states of the west.
one can be a Democrat, or one can choose to be an American.
Good acting requires an imagination; reality requires a person not getting lost in their imagination.
"It's better to have a gun if you need it". Felix's opthamologist
Rich

Post by Rich »

See A State of Disobedience by Tom Kratman. Good read.
A weak government usually remains a servant of citizens, while a strong government usually becomes the master of its subjects.
- paraphrased from several sources

A choice, not an echo. - Goldwater campaign, 1964
Cybrludite

Post by Cybrludite »

staylor wrote:Now you just need to make all those underlined words into actual links :P .

However, IMHO, if Texas successfully seceded you would find a lot of other red states joining it. Texas leaving would permanently throw the federal government to the libs and make life far less tolerable for the remaining red states. Plus the secession of one state would set the precedent for others. Texas leaving the union would start off a cascade of secessions that the feds would be hard pressed to stop.
They ended up stopping the others, at the price of losing Texas & Hawaii. They still have 50 states, since they added Puerto Rico, and made separate states from the two remaining chunks of Louisiana. I was originally going to do it as alt-history with the quake happening in 2010, but the election lets me do it near future. Incidentally, the AU-Sten is the Sten Mk. II with the magwell reworked to take MP-5 magazines. The design was made by someone in Moscow On The Colorado, hence the punny name.
"If it ain't the Devil's Music, you ain't doin' it right." - Chris Thomas King

"When liberal democracies collapse, someone comes along who promises to make the trains run on time if we load the right people into them." - Tam K.
Rich

Post by Rich »

Other candidates for statehood are Guam, and/or one of the US controlled island groups.

Just saying.
A weak government usually remains a servant of citizens, while a strong government usually becomes the master of its subjects.
- paraphrased from several sources

A choice, not an echo. - Goldwater campaign, 1964
randy

Post by randy »

The design was made by someone in Moscow On The Colorado, hence the punny name.
Hmmmm, I think I might know who that could be.....

Official gun of the Fookin Irish Mob?

;) :mrgreen:
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
staylor

Post by staylor »

Cybrludite wrote:
staylor wrote:Now you just need to make all those underlined words into actual links :P .

They ended up stopping the others, at the price of losing Texas & Hawaii. They still have 50 states, since they added Puerto Rico, and made separate states from the two remaining chunks of Louisiana. I was originally going to do it as alt-history with the quake happening in 2010, but the election lets me do it near future. Incidentally, the AU-Sten is the Sten Mk. II with the magwell reworked to take MP-5 magazines. The design was made by someone in Moscow On The Colorado, hence the punny name.
Could I at least join the holdout rebel groups opperating out of the Rocky Mountains and Sierras? Texas is just too hot and flat for me.
"Tyranny like Hell is not easily conquered yet we have this consolation with us, the harder the conflict, the more glorius the triumph"
Thomas Paine
Aglifter

Post by Aglifter »

TX has lots of hot, but not much flat... Er... OK, plenty of flat, but also plenty of "dark side of the moon" terrain...
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm Reliance on the Protection of Divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our lives, our Fortunes, & our sacred Honor

A gentleman unarmed is undressed.

Collects of 1903/08 Colt Pocket Auto