I need a new fiction author to follow

Everything cultural, pop or otherwise. Books, movies, music, comics, poetry, random cultural geekery.
workinwifdakids

I need a new fiction author to follow

Post by workinwifdakids »

As the title says, I need a new fiction author to follow. I'm looking for something engaging (political, military, thriller, that sort of thing).

I don't particularly enjoy science fiction (aside from Heinlein's series for juveniles, which still hold my interest). I followed Tom Clancy like a one-man cult, and I read all of his works once a year (except, of course, for the allegedly co-written crap). I also like John Grisham and Michael Crichton. Hopefully that will help you recommend something I'd like.

Thanks, guys!
And may I say, from a moral point of view, I think there can be no justification for shoving snack cakes up your action.
--Weetabix
Captain Wheelgun

Re: I need a new fiction author to follow

Post by Captain Wheelgun »

workinwifdakids wrote:As the title says, I need a new fiction author to follow. I'm looking for something engaging (political, military, thriller, that sort of thing).

I don't particularly enjoy science fiction (aside from Heinlein's series for juveniles, which still hold my interest). I followed Tom Clancy like a one-man cult, and I read all of his works once a year (except, of course, for the allegedly co-written crap). I also like John Grisham and Michael Crichton. Hopefully that will help you recommend something I'd like.

Thanks, guys!
David Weber, particularly the 'Honor Harrington' and 'Safehold' series. They are sci-fi, but there is enough political and military intrigue in them to make them more than 'Lets blast some aliens' stories.
"What is this, the Congress Avenue Independence Day Parade?" - Capt. Karl von Stahlberg, RTN
Republic of Texas Navy Archives
Jered

Post by Jered »

Hammer's Slammers?
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
Lokidude

Post by Lokidude »

Michael Z Williamson. Read Freehold (available for free at the Baen Free Library) and tell me Mad Mike doesn't describe libertarian heaven.
workinwifdakids wrote: We've thus far avoided the temptation to jack an entire forum.

But what the hell.
Standing for Truth, Justice, and the American Way!
randy

Post by randy »

John Ringo's Paladin of Shadows series. You can try some for free on Baen's web site.

Larry Correia's Dead Six and forthcoming books, although I think you'd like the Monster Hunter International and Hard Magic series as well.

Have you read W.E.B. Griffin's The Corps and Brotherhood of War series?

Dale Brown, Flight of the Old Dog and several follow on novels.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
jetfxr69

Post by jetfxr69 »

When I find myself in airports without a paper book (happens more often than I'd like), I pick up stuff by Lee Child, Brad Thor, or David Baldacci.

Child's "hero" is Jack Reacher, a (usually) loner, rambler, brawler, and ex-"Special Branch" MP. Solutions to problems often involve broken noses, minimum.

Brad Thor has a couple of "heroes", generally ex-special/covert ops guys who go into places and get their hands dirty.

Baldacci writes cop-fiction/intrigue stuff, and generally centers around Northern Virginia/D.C. for his locales. (He lives there, so the details are usually pretty close.)
Rumpshot

Post by Rumpshot »

Some military history based novels by Patrick O'brien. 21 books that should all be available at your local library. Language style from 1790's-1820's. Sailing, geography, life aboard a sailing ship. Pretty good stuff. 21 books should keep you occupied at least til Christmas.
NRA Life Member
VFW Life Member
NMLRA Field Rep
North Central Arizona
princewally

Post by princewally »

If you like fantasy, Patrick Rothfuss gave me a 1000 page day this weekend.
I support rehabilitation through reincarnation. -TechBrute

My Blog
Blog #2: LRN
MN carry permit training
Rod

Post by Rod »

jetfxr69 wrote:When I find myself in airports without a paper book (happens more often than I'd like), I pick up stuff by Lee Child, Brad Thor, or David Baldacci.

Child's "hero" is Jack Reacher, a (usually) loner, rambler, brawler, and ex-"Special Branch" MP. Solutions to problems often involve broken noses, minimum.

Brad Thor has a couple of "heroes", generally ex-special/covert ops guys who go into places and get their hands dirty.

Baldacci writes cop-fiction/intrigue stuff, and generally centers around Northern Virginia/D.C. for his locales. (He lives there, so the details are usually pretty close.)
Hollywood is making a Reacher movie, with Tom Cruise playing Reacher. If a 5'6" sob like him can play 6'4" Reacher, Cruise should automatically win an Oscar.
one can be a Democrat, or one can choose to be an American.
Good acting requires an imagination; reality requires a person not getting lost in their imagination.
"It's better to have a gun if you need it". Felix's opthamologist
Steamforger

Post by Steamforger »

If you're into the military thriller types, check out Frederick Forsyth. For gritty crime thrillers, I like Andrew Vachss quite a bit (ETA- His Wiki entry notes that he studied community organizing under Saul Alinsky. I never would have guessed from his stance on crime and punishment). The catalog of those two should keep you quite busy for some time. John Ringo and Mad Mike cannot go unmentioned, despite your disclaimer on sci fi. Read Freehold or start with the Posleen Series. As mentioned, they are free at Baen. All of them have heavy heavy military presence. If you haven't read the MHI series or Dead Six by Larry Correia, then you're just wrong. David Weber and David Drake both write military sci fi and both are available from Baen. Hope this helps.
Last edited by Steamforger on Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:17 am, edited 1 time in total.