Whatcha reading redux.

Everything cultural, pop or otherwise. Books, movies, music, comics, poetry, random cultural geekery.
Jericho941

Re: Whatcha reading redux.

Post by Jericho941 »

My MHIRPG book came in today, so I'll be reading that. :D

You know, I can't let this Swords of Exodus business sit.

[spoiler]The Mormon missionary soldiers had me rolling my eyes. There's comedy relief, there's "wacky," and then there's that. It's like a pair of Ned Flanders walked on to the scene.

"Hidey-ho neighbor!"
"Take out those machine guns!"
"Okely-dokaly!"

They don't literally say that, but that's more or less the tone of their responses. Something that might work in MHI, maybe, but not here. And then... and then. The big kill-off. The thing that wipes out almost all of Exodus. It is never seen. It is never identified. It is only hinted at, like maybe the evil guy unleashed hellhounds or something? Who knows? It's not like something like that might turn out to be incredibly important or anything. Oh, and CURSE YOUR SUDDEN AND INEVITABLE BETRAYAL... for reasons that still aren't exactly clear. Seriously, the character does her supervillain monologue and dramatic reveal and still makes no goddamn sense. "Because fuck you that's why" would've been less wordy, and it would've actually made a lot more sense.

But the thing that really pisses me off is never identifying The Thing that kills off Exodus. They were fighting in a missile silo/mine. They could have literally had ROCKS FALL EVERYONE DIES and it would've been a dramatic improvement. At least it wouldn't be "woo woo we're hinting at the supernaaaaaaaaaatural" and goddamn annoying. It removed all the tension from the story. I simply no longer cared what happened to Lorenzo or Valentine. My reaction up through the epilogue was a resounding "meh."

If this series is gonna continue, this is what I'd rather see:

Corniness dialed down a notch (missionaries are you serious what)
Important things that happen, like almost all the good guys getting killed off, happen on-camera and are not vaguely alluded to
And perhaps most importantly:
When it comes to magic, SHIT OR GET OFF THE POT. Two books in, your minds should've already been made up.[/spoiler]
Jericho941

Post by Jericho941 »

Whilst in limbo I downloaded and read Glock: The Rise of America's Gun. It was interesting, but now I need to find another book, as I'm still stuck in limbo. :P
Aesop

Post by Aesop »

Knocked out ,Rawles' latest, Expatriates, in about a day.
He's either self-corrected or been the benficary of some editorial help, because this one was a vast improvement over his last litter box offering.
He seems to be hitting his stride.
"There are four types of homicide: felonious, accidental, justifiable, and praiseworthy." -Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"
Rod

Post by Rod »

Rick Atkinson's Liberation trilogy. He writes about World War II with the first book, An Army at Dawn, covering the African campaign, the second, The Day of Battle, covers the Italian campaign. I've started The Guns at Last Light, about the European campaign. Atkinson writes almost like Cornelius Ryan with a lot of personal stories. He also does NOT spare anyone, skewering Eisenhower, Patton, Bradley, and Montgomery (almost like he HATES Monty, though I understand that's not far off).
one can be a Democrat, or one can choose to be an American.
Good acting requires an imagination; reality requires a person not getting lost in their imagination.
"It's better to have a gun if you need it". Felix's opthamologist
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Been reading the "Ender's Quintet" lately. Just started on Xenocide, but I haven't had time to get very far into it.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
BobbyK

Post by BobbyK »

And here I am, relieved that I am not in fact stuck in A Civil Campaign. There certainly was the potential there. :lol:
Darrell

Post by Darrell »

Just finished rereading T. Roosevelt's double volume Hunting Trips Of A Ranchman and The Wilderness Hunter:

http://www.amazon.com/Hunting-Trips-Ran ... 1420934643

I know TR is often reviled as a progressive, but darn, his beliefs and behavior (the Strenuous Life, hunting, etc.) would be anathema to those on the Left nowadays.

I just started Larry Correia's Hard Magic last night.
Eppur si muove--Galileo
randy

Post by randy »

Re-reading Dead Six in preparation for reading Swords of Exodus
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Langenator

Post by Langenator »

Read Swords of Exodus a couple of weeks ago.

Now working on Robert Citino's Death of the Wehrmacht.
Fortuna Fortis Paratus
Rod

Post by Rod »

Darrell wrote:Just finished rereading T. Roosevelt's double volume Hunting Trips Of A Ranchman and The Wilderness Hunter:

http://www.amazon.com/Hunting-Trips-Ran ... 1420934643

I know TR is often reviled as a progressive, but darn, his beliefs and behavior (the Strenuous Life, hunting, etc.) would be anathema to those on the Left nowadays.

I just started Larry Correia's Hard Magic last night.
Have your read the biographical trilogy by Edmund Morris? Fascinating books. They're on sale at Amazon for $65.
one can be a Democrat, or one can choose to be an American.
Good acting requires an imagination; reality requires a person not getting lost in their imagination.
"It's better to have a gun if you need it". Felix's opthamologist