Whatcha reading redux.

Everything cultural, pop or otherwise. Books, movies, music, comics, poetry, random cultural geekery.
First Shirt

Re: Whatcha reading redux.

Post by First Shirt »

A Flowershop in Bagdhad by Maj. Mike Banzet. Excellent!
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Aesop wrote:Knocked out ,Rawles' latest, Expatriates, in about a day.
He's either self-corrected or been the benficary of some editorial help, because this one was a vast improvement over his last litter box offering.
He seems to be hitting his stride.
Is this #2 or #3? I read the first one, then got distrac... Squirrel!
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
Cybrludite

Post by Cybrludite »

I ordered "Swords Of Exodus" from Amazon, so I re-read "Dead Six" in preparation for that on last Friday, then read SoE when it came in on Saturday and finished it on Sunday. (It came in late on Saturday, and I had plans that evening.) On Saturday a friend also loaned me her copies of the "Looking Glass" series from Ringo & Tailor, which I read on Monday & Tuesday. (I'd previously read the second of that series, "Vorpal Blade".)
"If it ain't the Devil's Music, you ain't doin' it right." - Chris Thomas King

"When liberal democracies collapse, someone comes along who promises to make the trains run on time if we load the right people into them." - Tam K.
randy

Post by randy »

Cybrludite wrote: On Saturday a friend also loaned me her copies of the "Looking Glass" series from Ringo & Tailor, which I read on Monday & Tuesday. (I'd previously read the second of that series, "Vorpal Blade".)
I'll never listen to The Final Countdown in quite the same way again. :)
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
MiddleAgedKen

Post by MiddleAgedKen »

Just finished Vincent O'Hara's Struggle for the Middle Sea (the naval war in the Med, Dakar, and the Red Sea), and am reading On Seas Contested, co-authored by O'Hara and others. On deck is South Pacific Destroyer.

Also, not reading per se, but I got to see a really enjoyable production of The Merchant of Venice last night in the local community theater.
Shop at Traitor Joe's: Just 10% to the Big Guy gets you the whole store and everything in it!
Darrell

Post by Darrell »

Rod wrote:
Darrell wrote:Just finished rereading T. Roosevelt's double volume Hunting Trips Of A Ranchman and The Wilderness Hunter:

http://www.amazon.com/Hunting-Trips-Ran ... 1420934643

I know TR is often reviled as a progressive, but darn, his beliefs and behavior (the Strenuous Life, hunting, etc.) would be anathema to those on the Left nowadays.

I just started Larry Correia's Hard Magic last night.
Have your read the biographical trilogy by Edmund Morris? Fascinating books. They're on sale at Amazon for $65.
I tried to read the first volume, but gave up. I did not care for Morris's writing at all. I do have TR's Rough Riders in the queue.
Eppur si muove--Galileo
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Weetabix wrote:
Aesop wrote:Knocked out ,Rawles' latest, Expatriates, in about a day.
He's either self-corrected or been the benficary of some editorial help, because this one was a vast improvement over his last litter box offering.
He seems to be hitting his stride.
Is this #2 or #3? I read the first one, then got distrac... Squirrel!
I thought it was #4.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Steamforger

Post by Steamforger »

Picked up and finished Swords of Exodus, then moved on to the collected works of H.P. Lovecraft.
dfwmtx

Post by dfwmtx »

Received James Wesley, Rawles "Expatriates" on Sat., finished on Sun.

Pretty much met my low expectations. I only read his stuff to see what situations he puts his two dimensional characters in. His tendency to drop secondary storylines and pick them up later annoys me; I'd like to see how shopkeepers deal with economic chaos (though I'm guessing for him the endless shooting down of robbing thieving folks in stores isn't as interesting as the endless shooting down of robbing thieving folks coming to pillage a town).
"Arms are honor; slaves have neither."

"I am Chaos, I am alive...and I tell you that you are free!" -Eris Discordia
Cybrludite

Post by Cybrludite »

Steamforger wrote:Picked up and finished Swords of Exodus, then moved on to the collected works of H.P. Lovecraft.
SoE ended with quite the kick in the teeth, didn't it? Very high Holy Shit factor.
"If it ain't the Devil's Music, you ain't doin' it right." - Chris Thomas King

"When liberal democracies collapse, someone comes along who promises to make the trains run on time if we load the right people into them." - Tam K.