Whatcha reading redux.

Everything cultural, pop or otherwise. Books, movies, music, comics, poetry, random cultural geekery.
Darrell

Re: Whatcha reading redux.

Post by Darrell »

Rather than read the newest MHI novel, I wound up reading Tom Bethel's Questioning Einstein: Is Relativity Necessary?:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0971484597

It's an interesting exposition on Petr Beckmann's gravitational field as ether theory, attempting to show that special relativity (at least) is unneeded, classical physics being sufficient to explain things, and that the speed of light is not a constant. I'd heard of Beckmann's theory for some time, and after reading Why Does E=MC2 (And Why We Should Care?), by Brian Cox and Jeff Forshaw, to perhaps see the other side of the coin:

http://www.amazon.com/Why-Does-mc2-Shou ... es+e%3Dmc2

Both make for good reading if you're into such things. Bethel's book might be considered a bit more dry than the other, though it's written for the layman and has no math.

I suppose now I'll start MHI. :roll:
Eppur si muove--Galileo
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Deadman's Walk by Larry McMurtry - a prequel to Lonesome Dove. I just got the movie for Lonesome Dove, by the way. Haven't had a chance to watch it yet, but I'm really looking forward to it.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
Greg

Post by Greg »

I just finished Wicked Bronze Ambition a few minutes ago. New Garrett novel from Glen Cook. It's one of the better ones. But it's sad. 'Jurassic Bark' level sad, and that doesn't happen often. I had the central mystery partly figured out, but I didn't expect how it would turn out.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
evan price

Post by evan price »

Just finished-
First two of The Grimnoir] and the Monster Hunter Legion by Corriea
Re-read Stranger in a Strange Land (RAH of course)
Just closed the latest John Ringo "Kildar" book, Tiger by the Tail
All three of MZW's "Ripple Creek" books and The Weapon

On deck-
The Andromeda Strain
A couple of David Drake books
Orson Scott Card's Worthing Saga
MZW's Freehold
Sam Syke's Tome of the Undergates
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc

http://ohioccwforums.org/
Ohioans for Concealed Carry:THE source for Ohio CCW information and discussion!
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

evan price wrote:Orson Scott Card's Worthing Saga
I look forward to hearing the review on this one. I picked it up somewhere but haven't read it yet.

I loved Ender's Game, and Speaker For The Dead. I wouldn't read Ender's Shadow again - too much endless navel gazing.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
Greg

Post by Greg »

I recently finished Storm Front, a "Derrick Storm" novel. See the TV series 'Castle'.

I enjoyed it. My wife enjoyed it much less. It's not as good as a straight serious mystery/thriller novel as the "Nikki Heat" novels that have been published, but it's better as fan service. How much importance to place on each of those explains the different opinions my wife and I had of the book.

One amusing (to me) nice touch- there's one scene where our hero is driving south on Rt 17 in East Rutherford NJ being chased by baddies, and he gets trapped at the last traffic light before it hits Rt 3. He drives on the right hand shoulder to gutterball and squeeze around the other traffic waiting at the light (being chased by baddies, remember?) and the baddies shoot at him, miss and hit an Exxon sign. There is indeed an Exxon station RIGHT THERE. I know that intersection well as I drive though it multiple times daily and have bought gas at that Exxon, and I was amazed they got such a minor detail exactly right.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
evan price

Post by evan price »

I started sam sykes' tome of the undergate...first two chapters...I already love the story. It reads like the rpg's our gaming group played. Characters that don't like each other and are anything but heroic. Very "order of the stick" feel. So far two thumbs up.

evan price

Post by evan price »

evan price wrote:I started sam sykes' tome of the undergate...first two chapters...I already love the story. It reads like the rpg's our gaming group played. Characters that don't like each other and are anything but heroic. Very "order of the stick" feel. So far two thumbs up.
My copy of Sam Sykes' Tome of the Undergate was a publisher's defect! Got to page 63, it jumped to page 129 or so, then repeated that block of pages, then skipped to 255 or so, then skipped back to 129 again. Grrrrrrr! Just when I was getting interested. Half of the book was missing.
Went to Amazon.com and bought all three of the trilogy last night, and also added in the "first aid under grid-down" book that Aesop recommended.

Jericho941

Post by Jericho941 »

...gotta play catchup here.

Tore through the Song of Ice and Fire series. The last two books needed to be half as long and George R.R. Martin's editors should be ashamed of themselves.

This week (ish) I read Warbound and Swords of Exodus (EARC). Warbound was pretty good, even if Sullivan seemed almost superfluous by the end. As for Swords of Exodus (the sequel to Dead Six)...

..um...

Every thing from the introduction of the Mormon missionary Exodus guys onward:

First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

The King Raven trilogy, by Stephen Lawhead. Yet another re-telling of the Robin Hood legend, this one set in Wales in the 12th century. I've finished Hood and working through Scarlet when I'm not working or sleeping. Pretty good stuff!
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom