Whatcha reading redux.

Everything cultural, pop or otherwise. Books, movies, music, comics, poetry, random cultural geekery.
SoupOrMan

Re: Whatcha reading redux.

Post by SoupOrMan »

Square Foot Gardening. I want to see if it lives up to the hyperbole found in the book itself.
Remember, folks, you can't spell "douche" without "Che."

“PET PARENTS?” You’re not a “pet parent.” You’re a pet owner. Unless you’ve committed an unnatural act that succeeded in spite of biology. - Glenn Reynolds
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

SoupOrMan wrote:Square Foot Gardening. I want to see if it lives up to the hyperbole found in the book itself.
Keep us posted. I've always been attracted to that idea.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
Darrell

Post by Darrell »

Just started Terry Pratchett's first Discworld book, The Color Of Magic. I thought I'd see what all the fuss is about. I bought the first three volumes, actually.
Eppur si muove--Galileo
PawPaw

Post by PawPaw »

Two books came in today. No Second Place Winner by Bill Jordan and The Art of the Rifle, by Cooper.

I think I'll start with Jordan.
Dennis Dezendorf
PawPaw's House
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

I'm jealous!! Loaned out No Second Place Winner, and never got it back. The Minions have The Art of the Rifle, but I'll get it back eventually.
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
randy

Post by randy »

First Shirt wrote:The Minions have The Art of the Rifle, but I'll get it back eventually.
Yeah, you just keep telling yourself that.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Aegis

Post by Aegis »

Darrell wrote:Just started Terry Pratchett's first Discworld book, The Color Of Magic. I thought I'd see what all the fuss is about. I bought the first three volumes, actually.
Honestly, it's best to start with slightly later books, then go back to those. They really hit their stride around Pyramids or Guards Guards, and don't let up until Unseen Academicals 20+ years later.
Chicks dig fixed bayonets
Jered

Post by Jered »

Arabs at War

So far, it's a history of Jordan, Syria, and Egypt's militaries getting their asses kicked by outgunned Jews, Kurds, the British, the French, Persians, and other Arabs with one instance of America thrown in. I'm sure there will be scrawny Africans in Toyotas at some point, too.

From what I've seen, all you have to do to beat an Arab Army is deviate from their plan. Yes, their military culture really is that fucked up. And yes, I mean their plan. This book is like a complete military history of France, only without the victories.
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

First Shirt wrote:Loaned out No Second Place Winner, and never got it back.
At least you can still get it. I loaned out Unintended Consequences and never got it back. Then found out it is out of print... Knowing the family of the guy I loaned it to, it probably got thrown away, or is still in a box someplace at their house.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

"A Rifleman Went to War" by Herbert McBride. A serious shooter's experience in WW I. Available on Kindle for $3.50 from Amazon
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom