Whatcha reading redux.

Everything cultural, pop or otherwise. Books, movies, music, comics, poetry, random cultural geekery.
Rich
On a list somewhere

Whatcha reading redux.

Postby Rich » Thu May 05, 2011 4:10 pm

Received Ringo's Hot Gate yesterday, and in preparation have been rereading Live Free or Die (finished yesterday evening) and Citadel (started yesterday evening).

That is all.
A weak government usually remains a servant of citizens, while a strong government usually becomes the master of its subjects.
- paraphrased from several sources

A choice, not an echo. - Goldwater campaign, 1964

Steamforger
On a list somewhere

Re: Whatcha reading redux.

Postby Steamforger » Thu May 05, 2011 4:14 pm

Still working through "The Diamond Age." My reading time is cut drastically short lately by making preps to move. I am, however, anxiously awaiting an E-ARC release of Monster Hunter Alpha. :twisted:

AZMARK
Loose Cannon

Postby AZMARK » Thu May 05, 2011 4:24 pm

Finished Hard Magic yesterday evening.
My favorite story of his ended with "...and so he went out the back door in his bathrobe, flipped the AK to 'Afrikaner', and started hosing the baboons off his tennis court." - Tam

TheArmsman
Case Shiner

Postby TheArmsman » Thu May 05, 2011 7:21 pm

Between my GF, (a long-haired, red-headed belly-dancer), work and back to college, have about zero time to read.

I have taken to getting the books on Audiobooks so I can listen while doing other stuff. Currently listening to the first part of Larry Correias Monster Hunter: Vendetta.
When death is inevitable, style counts.

Survival trumps programming.

Darrell
Good Christ I Need A Life

Postby Darrell » Thu May 05, 2011 9:54 pm

Finishing up the biography of Richard Francis Burton. Next will be either Barzun's From Dawn to Decadence, or Field Guide to Meteorites by Norton. Er, if I don't pick up some trashy novel or something first. :P
Eppur si muove--Galileo

Aglifter
Probably Unemployed

Postby Aglifter » Thu May 05, 2011 10:07 pm

Must be missing law school - back on egg head stuff...

Civil Disobedience is excellent.

Trying to still work my way through the introductions to "The Republic" and "Ethics"... Frankly, if "The Republic" is how the introducer makes it out, Plato was a juvenile, passive-aggressive idiot - need to wait until I actually read the Plato bits.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm Reliance on the Protection of Divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our lives, our Fortunes, & our sacred Honor

A gentleman unarmed is undressed.

Collects of 1903/08 Colt Pocket Auto

Denis

Postby Denis » Thu May 05, 2011 10:12 pm

Just finished Carl Sagan's "Cosmos". A good read, especially since I never saw the TV series.

I will ask Mr Kindle what's next ... :)

staylor
Loose Cannon

Postby staylor » Thu May 05, 2011 11:10 pm

Right now in the middle of A Mighty Fortress by Weber and Feet of Clay by Pratchet.
No non fiction at the moment.
"Tyranny like Hell is not easily conquered yet we have this consolation with us, the harder the conflict, the more glorius the triumph"
Thomas Paine

JAG2955
Active Shooter

Postby JAG2955 » Thu May 05, 2011 11:12 pm

I'm trying to read "Dune". I keep on starting it, and I've never made it the whole way through.

staylor
Loose Cannon

Postby staylor » Thu May 05, 2011 11:23 pm

JAG2955 wrote:I'm trying to read "Dune". I keep on starting it, and I've never made it the whole way through.

I know what you mean. Took me forever to finish the first book (and I am a fast reader) and the other books in the series I did not even finish. Quite frankly I don't get all the hooplah about the Dune books.
"Tyranny like Hell is not easily conquered yet we have this consolation with us, the harder the conflict, the more glorius the triumph"
Thomas Paine

Steamforger
On a list somewhere

Postby Steamforger » Thu May 05, 2011 11:59 pm

staylor wrote:
JAG2955 wrote:I'm trying to read "Dune". I keep on starting it, and I've never made it the whole way through.

I know what you mean. Took me forever to finish the first book (and I am a fast reader) and the other books in the series I did not even finish. Quite frankly I don't get all the hooplah about the Dune books.

Heh. I typically read it at least once a year.

Lokidude
On a list somewhere

Postby Lokidude » Fri May 06, 2011 5:21 am

Working on Fred Saberhagen's Berserker Throne so I can get onto Hard Magic.
workinwifdakids wrote:We've thus far avoided the temptation to jack an entire forum.

But what the hell.

Standing for Truth, Justice, and the American Way!

George guy
Loose Cannon

Postby George guy » Fri May 06, 2011 10:30 pm

Currently rereading the Hitchhiker's Guide series.

Recently finished Harry Turtledove's Worldwar series, in which aliens invade in the middle of World War II and all manners of havoc ensues.
'Regulate' used to mean the opposite of 'constipate.'

rightisright
Active Shooter

Postby rightisright » Fri May 06, 2011 10:48 pm

I'm in Classics reread mode.

Just finished Treasure Island. Next up is Moby Dick. I'm finding that some authors I enjoyed more when I was younger and some I enjoy better now. :)
Last edited by rightisright on Fri May 06, 2011 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Highspeed
On a list somewhere

Postby Highspeed » Fri May 06, 2011 11:06 pm

I'm reading this :-
http://www.amazon.co.uk/King-Gypsies-Bartley-Gorman/dp/1903854164

Bartley Gorman was a gypsy bareknuckle fighter. I don't like gypsies much, but I do respect their fighting capabilities.

The book is interesting for me because Gorman spent his early life growing up in the same place I did ( long before I was born though )
All my life I been in the dog house
I guess that just where I belong
That just the way the dice roll
Do my dog house song

Mike OTDP
On a list somewhere

Postby Mike OTDP » Sat May 07, 2011 4:17 am

Bedside: Christopher Duffy's history of the 1745 Jacobite rising.

Travel: Gibbon's Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire.

Matthew Mayner

Postby Matthew Mayner » Mon May 09, 2011 3:06 am

I'm re-reading Larry Correia's Monster Hunter Vendetta. I need inspiration for fight scenes! :D

Rich
On a list somewhere

Postby Rich » Mon May 09, 2011 3:19 am

Finished "The Hot Gate." Ringo left room for a sequel, but I suspect it will be a while before he gets back to it, if then.

If you're looking for loose ends, this trilogy's got them. :lol:
A weak government usually remains a servant of citizens, while a strong government usually becomes the master of its subjects.

Evyl Robot
Trigger Junkie

Postby Evyl Robot » Mon May 09, 2011 4:13 pm

I'm reading The gun Counter. And, I'm having the computer speak it out for some of the longer entries. I'm looking at you, 308 Mike. ;) :lol:

Denis

Postby Denis » Wed May 25, 2011 7:13 am

Just a heads-up for those of you who still order dead-tree books...

http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/ is having a 10% off sale in May (enter "May11" as the coupon code). Shipping worldwide is free.

I find BookDepository good, as they seem to carry the "long tail" at very reasonable prices, especially as regards special-interest and reference titles. I have bought a number of new lathe and machining books there, some of which I couldn't get from Amazon, for less than the price of second-hand copies at abebooks.com

Worth a look.

Denis

Postby Denis » Wed May 25, 2011 9:17 am

Evyl Robot wrote:I'm reading The gun Counter. And, I'm having the computer speak it out for some of the longer entries. I'm looking at you, 308 Mike. ;) :lol:

Does your computer do Mike's voice too? :)

I seem to assign an "inner voice" to people whose writing I read often. I remember being quite surprised at CC's Fiesta some years ago that people's real voices corresponded quite closely to what I had imagined. Except CC himself, of course - when he gets into his mimicry routine - he can do so many... I haven't had the pleasure of meeting Mike yet, but I do have a voice for him!

Netpackrat
Probably Unemployed

Postby Netpackrat » Wed May 25, 2011 9:24 am

CByrneIV wrote:Yeah, seriously... we've gotta find this man a job.

Which one? :roll:
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop

Jericho941

Postby Jericho941 » Wed May 25, 2011 10:36 am

Just started Hard Magic.

Greg
Probably Unemployed

Postby Greg » Wed May 25, 2011 1:07 pm

Rich wrote:Finished "The Hot Gate." Ringo left room for a sequel, but I suspect it will be a while before he gets back to it, if then.

If you're looking for loose ends, this trilogy's got them. :lol:

Well that's cool then, because there are supposed to be 5 books. :D

Waiting on "The Hot Gate" myself in the meantime I've been rereading some things, mainly Gordon Dickson.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr

Matthew Mayner

Postby Matthew Mayner » Wed May 25, 2011 5:09 pm

Just finished Hard Magic. I didn't know they sold deep fried awesome!

Starting Pride and Prejudice and Zombies.

Jered

Postby Jered » Wed May 25, 2011 7:39 pm

I'm reading The Road to Serfdom.

I ordered Tom Kratman's next two books in his Legio del Cid series. So, sometime this week, I'll be starting the Amazon Legion and The Lotus Eaters.
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.

Aegis
Trigger Junkie

Postby Aegis » Wed May 25, 2011 8:27 pm

Just finished S. M. Stirling's "A Taint in the Blood," and reread Pratchett/Gaiman's "Good Omens." Now working on "Neptune's Inferno" about the US Navy's Battle at Guadalcanal. Hornfischer's previous books have been amazing, and from the first few chapters it seems this one will be too.
Chicks dig fixed bayonets

randy

Postby randy » Wed May 25, 2011 9:50 pm

CByrneIV wrote:
Aegis wrote:Just finished S. M. Stirling's "A Taint in the Blood,"

Yaknow, that's one of the books I'm reading right now, and I'm having a hard time getting into it.

Is it one of his usual light hearted treatments of cheerful subject matter? (ala' The Draka?)
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".

Darrell

Postby Darrell » Wed May 25, 2011 10:08 pm

I wound up back in Shelby Foote's The Civil War: A Narrative. I thought I was picking up late in the first volume, but found that I was really landing in the midst of the second volume, near Vicksburg, and heading for Gettysburg. :roll:

BTW, have you seen that History Channel will be starting a new show on Gettysburg on Memorial Day? Ridley Scott is the executive producer, hopefully it won't suck too bad.

http://www.history.com/shows/gettysburg ... %20channel
Eppur si muove--Galileo

MiddleAgedKen
On a list somewhere

Postby MiddleAgedKen » Wed May 25, 2011 11:42 pm

Just finished The Road to Serfdom, and am working my way through (around grading and dissertation research) The Wealth and Poverty of Nations by Richard Landes, The Thirty Years War by C.V. Wedgwood, both of which I recommend without reservation, and Book I of Spenser's The Fairie Queene.
Watergate didn't have a body count.

Aegis
Trigger Junkie

Postby Aegis » Thu May 26, 2011 1:14 am

CByrneIV wrote:
Aegis wrote:Just finished S. M. Stirling's "A Taint in the Blood,"

Yaknow, that's one of the books I'm reading right now, and I'm having a hard time getting into it.

Yeah, it's not as good as the other stuff of his I've read. Seems more forced, with a definite case of "look at all the little details the author knows (or at least took a wiki-wander through the related subjects)!" Which IS present in all his other stuff, but not so blatantly. Thoroughly meh.

Dub_James
Active Shooter

Postby Dub_James » Thu May 26, 2011 1:46 am

Just finished The Hot Gate. Not the book most people might expect, but a very good look inside culture clashes, and the best way to deal with them when something critical is on the line.

looking forward to the next one, as well as the last two Aldenata books (if they ever get released)

And, of course, MH:Alpha later this year :twisted:
Oh, the heads that turn
Make my back burn
And those heads that turn
Make my back, make my back burn

-She Sells Sanctuary
The Cult

308Mike

Postby 308Mike » Thu May 26, 2011 2:04 am

You DO realize that you're supposed to continue reading from where you LEFT OFF when you stopped last time, right?? It's really not necessary (or recommended) to start from the beginning every time. It's no wonder you haven't been able to make it through the book. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ;) ;) ;) ;)

However, you're farther than I am. I've never even started the book. I enjoyed the original movie (not the most recent remake), and although I enjoyed the movie (and have watched it many times), I wonder if reading the book will ruin the movie for me. Have you gotten far enough in the book that you feel one or the other is better (assuming you've seen the movie)?
POLITICIANS & DIAPERS NEED TO BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON

A person properly schooled in right and wrong is safe with any weapon. A person with no idea of good and evil is unsafe with a knitting needle, or the cap from a ballpoint pen.

I remain pessimistic given the way BATF and the anti gun crowd have become tape worms in the guts of the Republic. - toad

randy

Postby randy » Thu May 26, 2011 2:13 am

The original (mid-80's) movie didn't look or feel much like the book to me, the "weirding modules" was a BS way to using technology to substitute for the superior training and techniques of the Fremen under the tutelage of the Atreides, and the ending was pure BULLSHIT! that had nothing to do with the book.

The Sci-Fi channel mini-series did a better job of the look and feel IMHO, and of course went in to more detail.

Basically if you combined elements of both you'd be a lot closer to the book (and a better movie IMHO).

I find it interesting that you enjoyed the movie without reading the book, as my impression and discussion with folks at the theater was that if you hadn't read the book you'd be pretty lost as far as following the movie was concerned.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".

Rich
On a list somewhere

Postby Rich » Thu May 26, 2011 2:18 am

Read Dune a long time ago, and enjoyed it. IT.

I started the first sequel, read a few pages and put the book down, never to open it again. It felt to me to be too much of a "let's make more money" type of sequel.

Kind of like one of Saberhagen's Berserker paperback books, where he refought the Battle of Midway and didn't bother to rename the ships.

(At least I think it was Midway.)

JAG2955
Active Shooter

Postby JAG2955 » Thu May 26, 2011 2:22 am

308Mike wrote:

You DO realize that you're supposed to continue reading from where you LEFT OFF when you stopped last time, right?? It's really not necessary (or recommended) to start from the beginning every time. It's no wonder you haven't been able to make it through the book. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ;) ;) ;) ;)

However, you're farther than I am. I've never even started the book. I enjoyed the original movie (not the most recent remake), and although I enjoyed the movie (and have watched it many times), I wonder if reading the book will ruin the movie for me. Have you gotten far enough in the book that you feel one or the other is better (assuming you've seen the movie)?

I made a lot of progress while out in San Diego. I liked the original movie when I first saw it, but I think that I might like the remake better. I don't think that the book is that much better than the movie so far. I grabbed this copy of Dune off of the free shelf in MWR in Al Asad as we were getting ready to head back to the states. Another guy was reading his copy, and he let me in on the secret that a lot of the Fremen culture is based off of Arabs.

308Mike

Postby 308Mike » Thu May 26, 2011 3:42 am

randy wrote:I find it interesting that you enjoyed the movie without reading the book, as my impression and discussion with folks at the theater was that if you hadn't read the book you'd be pretty lost as far as following the movie was concerned.

I didn't find the movie that hard to follow, although others I spoke to did, and it seemed they had much more problems and dislikes if they'd read the book than if they hadn't. I had no trouble following the movie, perhaps because I picked up on the subtleties of the movie which might have been far easier to identify in the book, and I didn't try to read too much into the movie other than taking much of certain things at face value (rather than trying to interpret it).

Unfortunately, one of the major problems with books is that there's NO WAY to create the same images each person has in their own minds regarding what they've read. It's an almost NO-WIN situation. The most you could hope for is to match the majority of people's perceptions and hope you get most of them right - the rest are going to be disillusioned or not happy with the way things occurred - which is something I never had to deal with having only seen the movie.

Certainly there were things in the movie which made little sense to me and if I read the book would have been very clear. So in those instances, I simply filed them away for future reference to see if they were cleared up and many of them were (but not all). Overall, I found the movie to be enjoyable and certainly one which you need to put aside reality and simply enjoy the movie. Once you've done that and can not be too critical, I found the movie entertaining enough that I bought the DVD.

I was VERY disappointed in the remake and have NO desire to buy the new one - it lacks imagination, even though the sci-fi film technical skills are better - the material isn't better nor is it presented better.

YMMV

A person properly schooled in right and wrong is safe with any weapon. A person with no idea of good and evil is unsafe with a knitting needle, or the cap from a ballpoint pen.

I remain pessimistic given the way BATF and the anti gun crowd have become tape worms in the guts of the Republic. - toad

workinwifdakids
Active Shooter

Postby workinwifdakids » Thu May 26, 2011 6:31 am

I'm halfway through Wilderness Medicine: Beyond First Aid by Doctor Forgey. I picked it up because Aesop recommended it in his post that was turned into a Wiki here.

And, just arrived from our friends Mr. Barnes and Mr. Noble, I'll be starting Fry the Brain: The Art of Urban Sniping and its Role in Modern Guerrilla Warfare. Yes, everyone who orders this book is probably put on a watch list. Fortunately for them, posting here made it easy!
:D
And may I say, from a moral point of view, I think there can be no justification for shoving snack cakes up your action.
--Weetabix

308Mike

Postby 308Mike » Thu May 26, 2011 7:04 am

workinwifdakids wrote:I'm halfway through Wilderness Medicine: Beyond First Aid by Doctor Forgey. I picked it up because Aesop recommended it in his post that was turned into a Wiki here.

And, just arrived from our friends Mr. Barnes and Mr. Noble, I'll be starting Fry the Brain: The Art of Urban Sniping and its Role in Modern Guerrilla Warfare. Yes, everyone who orders this book is probably put on a watch list. Fortunately for them, posting here made it easy!
:D

If you like books in that vein, I suggest Ed Kugler's: Dead Center, Charles Henderson's Marine Sniper (about Carlos Hathcock - HIGHLY recommended), Hogs in the Shadows Hogs in the Shadows, and Shooter: The Autobiography of the Top-Ranked Marine Sniper, which tells of Coughlan's battles with the brass to let him run mobile sniper teams and take the fight to the enemy - much of what's going on now using his tactics and mobility plans - Coughlan's changed the face of modern US military sniping, demonstrating he CAN change the outcome of a battle with just a handful of trained and motivated people who are taking out the enemy's key people, leaving them in total disarray.

What he and his people did in Iraq proved that they could and did provide a force multiplier to the US commander - *IF* they chose to use them instead of relying on traditional doctrine.

I can only say that I'm DAMN glad Coughlan's on OUR side - otherwise he'd have left a LOT of our folks in prayer and at funerals.

Denis

Postby Denis » Thu May 26, 2011 7:28 am

308Mike wrote:If you like books in that vein...

Have a look at these threads here too:

SeekHer's sniper book list

Suarez on the guerilla sniper and again

308Mike

Postby 308Mike » Mon May 30, 2011 3:44 am

I just finished reading Thud Ridge by Colonel Jack Broughton:

And if we had any USAF pilots or maintenance folks in our neighborhood, I'd sure like to shake their hands - particularly if they were supporting the fighter-bomber missions over Hanoi, or in our latest scrapes in Iraq and Afghanistan. We seem to have few USAF people around this area, which is mostly Navy and Marines (with a sprinkling of Army & Coasties here and there).

Now I've cracked open another flight book, but this one about the Huey's in Vietnam; titled Wings of the Eagle, by W.T. Grant (which gets a customer rating of 5 stars out of 5 stars total):

I'm reading the exact same book cover, and so far, I find the book very interesting, especially regarding the difference in the war while he was at Da Nang and then moving up to Marble Mountain (just outside Da Nang) verses what others were going through, and even getting killed, while he was sitting on his butt while the action was going on elsewhere (which he wanted to get into instead of being "in the rear with the gear"). He hasn't said as much, but I also wonder if he hadn't caught references to being a REMF while working at the base while others were out doing something more than shuttling VIPs around. Grant keeps asking and volunteering to be a member of the Alley Cats, a platoon of the Black Cats who are running gunships instead of slicks. So far, he hasn't had any luck since the gun platoon is all filled up but they recently lost a pilot, and one of his friends to hostile fire (a round went through the cockpit of his gunship and went through his pilot's helmet killing him instantly), and Grant wants to go out and kill a bunch of VC in retribution. Sorry, That's where I am in the book, and so far, it's a good book, and I've heard and read from MANY sources that W.T. Grant was a DAMNED GOOD helo pilot in 'Nam, and he pulled many people out of the fire while flying as cool as a refrigerated cucumber - saving MANY lives in the process.

Those are some of the reasons I am reading this book, besides personal recommendations from people I respect and admire.

If you have any other such books from either or both Desert Storm operations, Iraq operations, or anything else fairly recent (meaning Vietnam and more recent), I'd LOVE to see them. And yes, I've read and thoroughly enjoyed Ed Macy's "Apache" - which is simply incredible.

It's a book I recommend for anyone interested in military aviation and the current conflicts.

Jered

Postby Jered » Mon May 30, 2011 8:43 am

308Mike wrote:
randy wrote:I find it interesting that you enjoyed the movie without reading the book, as my impression and discussion with folks at the theater was that if you hadn't read the book you'd be pretty lost as far as following the movie was concerned.

I didn't find the movie that hard to follow, although others I spoke to did, and it seemed they had much more problems and dislikes if they'd read the book than if they hadn't. I had no trouble following the movie, perhaps because I picked up on the subtleties of the movie which might have been far easier to identify in the book, and I didn't try to read too much into the movie other than taking much of certain things at face value (rather than trying to interpret it).

Unfortunately, one of the major problems with books is that there's NO WAY to create the same images each person has in their own minds regarding what they've read. It's an almost NO-WIN situation. The most you could hope for is to match the majority of people's perceptions and hope you get most of them right - the rest are going to be disillusioned or not happy with the way things occurred - which is something I never had to deal with having only seen the movie.

Certainly there were things in the movie which made little sense to me and if I read the book would have been very clear. So in those instances, I simply filed them away for future reference to see if they were cleared up and many of them were (but not all). Overall, I found the movie to be enjoyable and certainly one which you need to put aside reality and simply enjoy the movie. Once you've done that and can not be too critical, I found the movie entertaining enough that I bought the DVD.

I was VERY disappointed in the remake and have NO desire to buy the new one - it lacks imagination, even though the sci-fi film technical skills are better - the material isn't better nor is it presented better.

YMMV

The Dune Sequels that Frank Herbert wrote are pretty good.

After the Dune, though, I think that my favorite novel was Chapterhouse.

MiddleAgedKen
On a list somewhere

Postby MiddleAgedKen » Mon May 30, 2011 3:34 pm

I liked all the Century Series, possibly excepting the F-101. One of the first model airplanes I built as a kid was the "battle-damaged" F-100 Super Sabre.

I like F-4s best of all, though. Back in the day, I bought IAF for the PC because it was about the only game in town that offered a player-flyable F-4.
Watergate didn't have a body count.

308Mike

Postby 308Mike » Tue May 31, 2011 5:09 am

CByrneIV wrote:I've read Thud Ridge. Great book. It was the first book I'd ever read presenting a firsthand account of an attack pilots experience in 'Nam... fascinating stuff.

I read it when I was in my early teens, or maybe 12... made a real impact. I ended up reading it mostly because it had an arresting cover and title, given that I was (and still am) a big fan of the F105 Thunderchief; which I still think was one of the most underrated attack aircraft ever. The problem was never the airplane, it was the mission.

At the time, I had just finished gluing up a static model of the Thud, and used Broughtons aircraft for my paint job.

Thud Ridge was a GREAT book!! After reading your comments, I'm sure you're aware of Operation Bolo, where the USAF used the same jamming pods to make the NVA pilots think that they had a bunch of Thuds flying up at them like normal when in fact they were F-4's loaded for bear with air-to-air combat in mind, all headed up by our old friend, Gen. Robin Olds (at that time a Colonel), and they kicked the hell outta' the MIGs with their F-4s, when they were expecting bomb-laden Thuds instead!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

When Washington let our fangs and claws come out, the North Vietnamese suffered and squealed like a bunch of pants'd schoolgirls going commando. They HOWLED and cried but their real intentions came out when they refused to back down from what they were doing and make concessions at the peace talks. We KNOW the government screwed us right into the ground, and had we been allowed to hit the targets like we did in WWII, they would have capitulated within a month - but instead they played politics instead of war - and sine they were better at playing politics (and had the support of OUR media), we lost.

:jacked: Now these same turds are in power in Washington, and people are still listening to their BS and believing the government has an unending supply of money (after all, they can ALWAYS just print more) - using the same rationale that a credit card abuser does to keep tapping out all their cards until they're WAY in over their head for several lifetimes!!

So far, Wings of the Eagle has been highly entertaining, and I especially like the part where they're lifting a battalion of ARVN into an LZ but keep receiving fire until they're in the ground, eventually the lead aircraft gets hit and has to return to the LZ to set down and while downing so, one of the crew identifies the shooters as ARVN troops. One of the gunships announces that they're coming in HOT to suppress the fire and the local US adviser comes up on the radio saying: "Don't fire, that's friendly fire!!" The gunship responded by calling out (in a calm Texas drawl): "Roger, returning Friendly Fire" - and afterwards, there was no more fire on the aircraft for the rest of the troop lift.

Even my wife thought that was friggin' GREAT, about the pilot calling, "Roger, returning Friendly Fire!" She was busting up! She said, "HELL YES, I'D DO THE SAME THING!!"

Rich
On a list somewhere

Postby Rich » Tue May 31, 2011 4:50 pm

MiddleAgedKen wrote:I liked all the Century Series, possibly excepting the F-101. One of the first model airplanes I built as a kid was the "battle-damaged" F-100 Super Sabre.

I like F-4s best of all, though. Back in the day, I bought IAF for the PC because it was about the only game in town that offered a player-flyable F-4.

My first fighter type out of tech school was the RF-101 Voodoo. Very easy aircraft to work on compared to the F-105, F-4 and F-15.

Now, I understand the true fighter version and the interceptor version were a whole different kettle of fish.

I've tried building models of aircraft I've actually worked on, but I've worked on so many different types and so many variations within the type.

randy

Postby randy » Tue May 31, 2011 9:51 pm

308Mike wrote:[Operation Bolo, where the USAF used the same jamming pods to make the NVA pilots think that they had a bunch of Thuds

It wasn't just the Electronics, it was flight profile, routes, callsigns, airspeeds, turn radius, etc, a complete package to emulate a Thud strike en route to down town.

Sin Loi Charlie!

randy

Postby randy » Tue May 31, 2011 9:56 pm

308Mike wrote:I just finished reading Thud Ridge by Colonel Jack Broughton:

You also are going to want to read his follow up: Going Downtown: The War Against Hanoi and Washington which details the screw job he received for backing his pilots when a Soviet ship thought that firing on US aircraft was an amusing and risk free activity. That incident (IIRC) was mentioned briefly in Thud Ridge.

Rich
On a list somewhere

Postby Rich » Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:35 am

Might also get Rupert Red Two, Thunderbolts to Thunderchiefs. Which details the rest of his career.

Remember the story of the F-106 that landed itself (in a field) after the pilot ejected? Guess who was the skipper of that ADC squadron.

Very good read.

308Mike

Postby 308Mike » Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:56 am

randy wrote:
308Mike wrote:I just finished reading Thud Ridge by Colonel Jack Broughton:

You also are going to want to read his follow up: Going Downtown: The War Against Hanoi and Washington which details the screw job he received for backing his pilots when a Soviet ship thought that firing on US aircraft was an amusing and risk free activity. That incident (IIRC) was mentioned briefly in Thud Ridge.

AYUP - it's the last paragraph in the book. He was put in for an Air Force Cross and instead got a general court-martial. Regarding writing about the incident in a new book, he says: "I haven't decided if I will call it "The Turkestan Incident" or "Hanoi and Back-Six Dollars a Round Trip."

I guess the paperback of "Going Downtown: The War Against Hanoi and Washington" must be out of print, since the price for a NEW copy at Amazon.com is listed for: $110.00. New hardcover is $30.88 - used is MUCH cheaper.

Thanks to you and Rich, I now have a couple more books to add to my list of desired books. :D :D :D

randy

Postby randy » Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:46 am

Hey Mike, I know things are tight for you. I think I have a copy I'm willing to loan you. Shipping back and forth has got to be cheaper than $30. (Especially since I'll pay the shipping to you if you want to borrow it).

308Mike

Postby 308Mike » Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:01 am

The offer is much appreciated, but it's not real close to the top of my reading list right now. I have a few books ahead of it, including the one I'm currently reading (Wings of the Eagle - which I'm sure you'd also enjoy). I prefer combat books over political fights. One of books I have on deck is: Scream of Eagles, by Robert K. Wilcox:

One of the reviews reads:

When I finished reading Robert Wilcox' Wings of Fury, I was impressed. I enjoyed it so much I wanted to read his earlier work Scream of Eagles (The Creation of TopGun).

Sincerely this is even better than Wings of Fury. There are plenty of first person accounts (sea stories) of TopGun's genesis and dogfights against the VPAF. The USN was less than enthusiastic about funding and equipping this new school in 1969. When you read about this and put yourself back in time, it's amazing that TopGun ever got started. But that's just part of the story...

The F-8 Crusader's days were numbered as the F-4 Phantom was replacing the 'sader in the Fleet. The men that developed TopGun knew that BVR missile shots were not the answer. Pilots needed to know how to dogfight and get the maximum performance out of their airplane and work as a team (both as a section of fighters and as a Pilot/RIO team). TopGun provided the cadre to teach fleet Phantom crews to build this teamwork.

If you're a fan of the F-4 Phantom, read this book. If you're a fighter aviation history buff, read this book. After you read this, go read Marshall Michel's CLASHES:Air Combat Over North Vietnam 1965-1972. You'll be shaking your head, wondering if the USN and USAF were fighting the same war. Makes you kinda wonder why the USAF scaled back its Agressor squadrons in recent years.

However, I certainly appreciate the offer! :D :D :D

Rumpshot
Active Shooter

Postby Rumpshot » Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:56 am

You guys need to remember, there is a book store amongst us. It gets books from all kinds of sources and sells books at extremely reasonable prices. Possibly even a Gun Counter Discount. Get your wish list in order and ship it to me. We can be watching for books.
NRA Life Member
VFW Life Member
NMLRA Field Rep
North Central Arizona

308Mike

Postby 308Mike » Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:34 am

Rumpshot wrote:You guys need to remember, there is a book store amongst us. It gets books from all kinds of sources and sells books at extremely reasonable prices. Possibly even a Gun Counter Discount. Get your wish list in order and ship it to me. We can be watching for books.

DAMN STRAIGHT!! I made sure he has lots of combat books to sell to your friends!! :D :D

What it was, three boxes full (oh sure, complain because they were only boxes which could hold a few boxes of Cracker Jacks (for all you youngsters who can't or REFUSE to remember them), and a couple of them were things like War & Peas, or even War and Peanuts, and even "War and Penis" (I don't remember, I'm suffering from the CRS syndrome) - see 1960 and the comment: "1960 - Kennedy & Nixon debate the Cold War and penis length in the second of four scheduled debates."

But in any event, he's got the books I gave him - GOOD books too (some BAD ones too)! Books worth paying DAMNED GOOD money for, books which take you away from your burger-flippin' existence, books to put you inside the cockpit of a fighter-bomber, or as a company commander on the ground commanding troops in battle!! Or maybe even a Huey pilot trying to not get blown out of the sky!! You NEED to buy these books from Kathi's Bookstore, located in Arizona - and if you show up for Rumpshot's Revenge in October, you might even get a discount!! :D :D :D ;) ;) (Or NOT). :lol: :lol:

Sorry, DINNER is calling. :D :D

Greg
Probably Unemployed

Postby Greg » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:10 pm

Rich wrote:Read Dune a long time ago, and enjoyed it. IT.

The book is awesome. The movies are... compromised. (I remember the first movie more clearly than the second, but IIRC I'm right.) They each had to do funny things to try to translate things to the screen- Herbert's good books (he's put out some rank stinkers) are often very much centered around things going on inside people's heads, and that doesn't make a good movie- voice over's are the debbil's work. :lol:

I started the first sequel, read a few pages and put the book down, never to open it again. It felt to me to be too much of a "let's make more money" type of sequel.

Kind of like one of Saberhagen's Berserker paperback books, where he refought the Battle of Midway and didn't bother to rename the ships.

(At least I think it was Midway.)

The only space battle that I recall from Saberhagen's Berserker series that was obviously based on a real-life event was Stone Place, aka space Lepanto, and that was well done. There are other stories clearly based on real-life sources, like the story of Orpheus and Eurydice.

I skipped the later Berserker novels... I know the novel "Ardneh's World", a half-baked sequel to the trilogy collected in "Empire of the East", and prequel to the Swords books, wasn't very good. IIRC it included poorly veiled Bush Derangement Syndrome, and it definitely more or less did everything it could to piss all over the central good guy of EoTE. Really it made me think Saberhagen had pretty much lost it, and was writing just because he needed the money or was bored or something.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr

Greg
Probably Unemployed

Postby Greg » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:18 pm

Dub_James wrote:Just finished The Hot Gate. Not the book most people might expect, but a very good look inside culture clashes, and the best way to deal with them when something critical is on the line.

I also just finished "The Hot Gate". Really enjoyed it. On other forums I've seen people completely befuddled by the culture-clash plotline, but it makes perfect sense to me. (And helps to explain why he and Kratman get on so well.) It adds drama and tension to the books, lets him set up some compelling characters and situations, teaches some vital real-world lessons, and explains some things about why the human universe in the period of the actual Schlock comic is the way it is.

looking forward to the next one, as well as the last two Aldenata books (if they ever get released)

Oh, yes.

And, of course, MH:Alpha later this year :twisted:

I just read the sample chapters for that, and the waiting is already difficult.

arctictom
Active Shooter

Postby arctictom » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:38 pm

WEB Griffins the Corps series , The Elusive quest for growth and Profiting from the Worlds Economic Crisis
You live and learn.
Or you don't live long.

Dub_James
Active Shooter

Postby Dub_James » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:43 pm

Just finished Fight Club. Now onto The Diamond Age.
Oh, the heads that turn
Make my back burn

-She Sells Sanctuary
The Cult

308Mike

Postby 308Mike » Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:48 am

You know, after going through all the books we read for leisure, and KNOWING there are many other books regarding work and tech manuals in between, it's no wonder this group has knowledge of such a wide variety of subjects.

Overall, we're a VERY WELL read group of people. Most of us have college degrees, the others have degrees from the school of hard knocks. And then the others which have degrees from BOTH (college AND hard knocks). But overall, we tend to be VERY educated and informed.

A GREAT group of people!

cu74
Trigger Junkie

Postby cu74 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:35 am

Currently reading The Screwtape Letters, (C.S. Lewis) after finishing The Gun, (C.J. Chivers) about Mikhail Kalashnikov and his AK-47. Was previously rereading several P.D. James murder mysteries.
Jim Dozier - Straight, but not narrow...
“A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition.” - Rudyard Kipling.

arctictom
Active Shooter

Postby arctictom » Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:23 am

CByrneIV wrote:
arctictom wrote:WEB Griffins the Corps series

I re-read it in its entirety last year, followed by brotherhood of war. That was a good month.

I like the guys writing , makes history very real.
You live and learn.
Or you don't live long.

308Mike

Postby 308Mike » Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:44 am

arctictom wrote:
CByrneIV wrote:
arctictom wrote:WEB Griffins the Corps series

I re-read it in its entirety last year, followed by brotherhood of war. That was a good month.

I like the guys writing, makes history very real.

And for many people, that's what it takes for them to understand history as being relevant to their own existence. When you make a subject LIVE, it catches their attention and helps keep them invigorated in the subject.

I wish my old History teachers in High School did as much to keep me engaged as many of the books I've read - LONG after leaving high school.

SeekHer
On a list somewhere

Postby SeekHer » Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:04 am

I've restarted the 1632 series by Eric Flint including all the readers.

Found a new series that I'm only into the third book called the Destroyer Men by Taylor Anderson--very well written and researched--Destroyers swept up into an alternate universe.
There is a certain type of mentality that thinks if you make certain inanimate objects illegal their criminal misuse will disappear!

Damn the TSA and Down with the BATF(u)E!
Support the J P F O to "Give them the Boot"!!

Rich
On a list somewhere

Postby Rich » Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:37 pm

Remember Fast Eddie? Ed Rasimus was a Thud and Phantom driver who wrote a few good books about his experiences, and better yet, was a member of Kim's forum. I think he left just before we got started here.

I wonder if he checks in under a new handle, as Fast Eddie doesn't appear in the member list.

Aegis
Trigger Junkie

Postby Aegis » Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:08 am

SeekHer wrote:Found a new series that I'm only into the third book called the Destroyer Men by Taylor Anderson--very well written and researched--Destroyers swept up into an alternate universe.

Great series. Only 5 books published so far, though.

Jered

Postby Jered » Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:30 am

SeekHer wrote:I've restarted the 1632 series by Eric Flint including all the readers.

Found a new series that I'm only into the third book called the Destroyer Men by Taylor Anderson--very well written and researched--Destroyers swept up into an alternate universe.

Actually, it was a WWI US destroyer, and a Japanese battlecruiser.

Rod
Active Shooter

Postby Rod » Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:24 am

I got Colonel Roosevelt last week, the third volume of the TR biography. Going to quote some of the things he says about Muslims in another post. Edmund Morris admires TR but talks about him, warts and all.
Tonight, UPS delivered my copy of The Original Argument, written by Joshua Charles and preempted by Glenn Beck. I say that because the kid's name (he's only 23) isn't even on the cover. It's a common man's translation of The Federalist Papers. Debating whether to reread them or read the two side by side.
one can be a Democrat, or one can choose to be an American.
Good acting requires an imagination; reality requires a person not getting lost in their imagination.
"It's better to have a gun if you need it". Felix's opthamologist

308Mike

Postby 308Mike » Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:05 am

After finishing my previous book, and then completing Charlie Mike:

I am now currently reading The Hill (part of the review from Publishers Weekly says:
This taut tale of two stepbrothers stretches from the "baking dust" of rural Oklahoma to the steamy heat of Vietnamese jungles. After a sadistic coach costs him his football scholarship, tall, blond Jason Johnson winds up a lieutenant in a Ranger paratroop division in Vietnam. Meanwhile, stepbrother Ty Nance's half-Kiowa Indian ancestry brings its own problems, and Ty, too, becomes a paratrooperlike his father and uncle, both of whom died in combat. Scott ( the author of Charlie Mike ) elicits sympathy for the two heroes while shocking with grim, realistic battle scenes, and introduces two characters who are North Vietnamese, a general and a private. The paths of the four men concenter on Hill 875, in "the single most costly battle" of the Vietnam War. The portrayal of the North Vietnamese offers unsettling insights into the nature of an all-too-human enemy, and underscores the pointlessness of the war as "an aberration of logic." The anti-war message here is no less forceful for emanating from an action-adventure novel at that genre's best.

I'm looking for references to some good books on the combat in the Afghanistan/Iraq wars. I've read some good ones, including some by Apache pilots - but I'm always on the look-out for more good books.

YMMV

Actually, something I have NOT read anything of is the Israeli wars against the terrorists, actions of their snipers, combat including their tankers. I'd LOVE to read about some Israeli snipers 'smoke-checking' some shithead terrorist before he's able to do any harm to innocent people. Recommendations???

SeekHer
On a list somewhere

Postby SeekHer » Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:20 am

Afghan
Max Benitz
Six Months Without Sundays: The Scots Guards in Afghanistan
Gol Gómez
War on Terror: A Deep Review About Islamic and Other Terrorist Ways

Just ordered both up from Casemate Publishers and they just delivered my contest prize Notes of a Russian Sniper by Vassili Zaitsev...They have a monthly military knowledge contest on Twitter and I won...They've got some great titles and their prices aren't bad but you can get them cheaper on Amazon.
I'd ordered the following of theirs:
WW1
Martin Pegler
Sniping in the Great War -- Has quite a few books on snipers and sniping
WW2
German
Bruno Sutkus
Sniper Ace
Russian
Joseph Pilyushin
Red Sniper on the Eastern Front: The Memoirs of Joseph Pilyushin
US & British
Martin Pegler
Sniper Anthology:Snipers of the Second World War -- Still back ordered...The others are quite well done memoires.

http://www.quikmaneuvers.com/index.html has a bunch of E-books…I’ve read a few and they’re not the greatest books out there but they aren’t bad...He's got some Israeli titles.

There aren't many books written by IDF personnel, from any branch even in Hebrew (that hadn't been translated yet)...There are a fair number of books written by outsiders over the operations of the various branches, battles etc.

An interesting read is by Claire Hoy and Victor Ostrovsky called By Way of Deception: A Devastating Insider's Portrait of the Mossad...Story of a Mossad agent from training to when he gets kicked out for writing the book...It's my car book--for when I have to wait for someone, I'll read for the few minutes...Started doing it, twelve years ago when I gave up smoking as I'd usually light one up and this helped curb the cravings.
There is a certain type of mentality that thinks if you make certain inanimate objects illegal their criminal misuse will disappear!

308Mike

Postby 308Mike » Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:14 am

SeekHer wrote:An interesting read is by Claire Hoy and Victor Ostrovsky called By Way of Deception: A Devastating Insider's Portrait of the Mossad...Story of a Mossad agent from training to when he gets kicked out for writing the book...It's my car book--for when I have to wait for someone, I'll read for the few minutes...Started doing it, twelve years ago when I gave up smoking as I'd usually light one up and this helped curb the cravings.

But you never found it engaging enough to want to bring it into the house and continue reading?? That's not much to go on (and I realize you made no recommendation one way or the other). I WOULD love to read some of the Israeli accounts of various battles/conflicts/skirmishes if they'll let anyone write them. They could sway a LOT of people to their side if they just opened up a bit. However, I also understand the need for operational security, security of your personnel, security of tactics and training, etc., etc. In NO WAY would I ever want to compromise Israel's security, but I would LOVE to read about some of their operations from first-hand sources, even if they're couched as 'fictional stories'.

Come on SeekHer, we know you have some tales for telling. How about some stuff for around the campfire? :D :) ;) ;) ;) :P :P

SeekHer
On a list somewhere

Postby SeekHer » Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:43 pm

308Mike wrote:
SeekHer wrote:An interesting read is by Claire Hoy and Victor Ostrovsky called By Way of Deception: A Devastating Insider's Portrait of the Mossad...Story of a Mossad agent from training to when he gets kicked out for writing the book...It's my car book--for when I have to wait for someone, I'll read for the few minutes...Started doing it, twelve years ago when I gave up smoking as I'd usually light one up and this helped curb the cravings.

But you never found it engaging enough to want to bring it into the house and continue reading?? That's not much to go on (and I realize you made no recommendation one way or the other). I WOULD love to read some of the Israeli accounts of various battles/conflicts/skirmishes if they'll let anyone write them. They could sway a LOT of people to their side if they just opened up a bit. However, I also understand the need for operational security, security of your personnel, security of tactics and training, etc., etc. In NO WAY would I ever want to compromise Israel's security, but I would LOVE to read about some of their operations from first-hand sources, even if they're couched as 'fictional stories'.

Come on SeekHer, we know you have some tales for telling. How about some stuff for around the campfire? :D :) ;) ;) ;) :P :P

The car book is 396 pages and I'm on page 251 and its only been in the car for about a week or so...It is an extremely enjoyable read which is why I'm reading it for the second time...The first book burnt in the fire and luckily I found this copy at a used book store...Its especially interesting when you've been to a lot of the places that are discussed in the book.

I really don't know why there aren't more IDF memoirs or battle descriptions, then again, except for [frequent] terrorist attacks the only wars we've been involved in 1948 Independence, 1956 Sinai, 1967 Six Day, 1973 Yom Kippur, 1982 to 1985 1st Lebanon and 2006 2nd Lebanon or Hezbollah Wars have all been over in weeks--excluding 1st Lebanon which has been compared to Russia in Afghanistan.

Short durations doesn't make for lots of after action reports.

As to my exploits, most that I'd want to share have already been done so, some I can't because of security (even after 38 yrs) and others I don't want to remember...After all the training the year and a half in the army and two in the Border Police I was mostly second gun at every single terrorist event during that period except Ma'alot where I was recuperating from a bullet wound to the left shoulder--was spotter but not shooter...Two weeks before, we caught a few "sneeks" at an abandoned blown out two story building; after refusing to negotiate we went in to search the bodies when from the second floor this guy stands up and shoots me in the shoulder--bad aim as he was hit in the stomach...His angle would have taken a direct path to the heart had it not been a .22 LR fired from about 5m which took a little chunk out of the spatula and ended up lodged against the clavicle and hurt like Hell--the pain meds disallowed me gun status but I was walking around the day after surgery...I'll tel you about the camel train of hashish another time.

Wanting to read:
Six Days of War by Michael B. Oren -- Damn good book
Lessons of the 2006 Israeli-Hezbollah War by Anthony H. Cordesman
The 2006 Lebanon Campaign and the Future of Warfare: Implications for Army and Defense Policy by Dr. Stephen D. Biddle -- Dull but lots of good research and insight
We Were Caught Unprepared: The 2006 Hezbollah-Israeli War by Matt Matthews -- Want to read it and library has it on order for me.
Pity the Nation: The Abduction of Lebanon by Robert Fisk -- Supposed to be very good but I think it favours the other guys more.
Israel's Lebanon War by Ze'ev Schiff -- Just found it this morning at the used book store.

Also try:
Atlas for the Arab-Israel War (West Point Military History Series) by Thomas E. Greiss
Israel's Wars: A History since 1947 by Ahron Bregman
Right to Exist: A Moral Defense of Israel's Wars by Yaacov Lozowick b- Must read
Origins of the Second Arab-Israel War by Michael Oren -- Good reviews
Israel's War of Independence: War and Conflict in the Middle East by Chris Hayhurst -- Ditto
33-day War: Israel's War on Hezbollah in Lebanon and It's Consequences by Gilbert Achcar and Michel Warschawski
Israel's Wars: A History since 1947 by Ahron Bregman -- Excellent author/researcher
History of Israel's War of Independence - Volumes I, II, III and IV by Uri Milstein w/Alan Sacks as editor and translator from the Hebrew with extensive, dry, reviews of the battle orders, communications, after action reports etc. of the war.

Additional titles are available at Tower Books -- search "Israel" shown.

Anxiously awaiting a copy:
Gaza in Crisis: Reflections on Israel's War Against the Palestinians by Noam Chomsky and Ilan Pappe -- Must read
Related by same authors:
Hopes and Prospects by Noam Chomsky
Media Control by Noam Chomsky -- Fascinating manipulation of media!!!
The Ethnic Cleansing of Palestine by Ilan Pappe

Son of Hamas by Mosab Hassan Yousef and journalist Ron Brackin -- Radical Islam to "peacenik"--inside the minds of Hamas -- Wait listed at the library where I get most books on the political/military side of Israeli and world policy.

They've been culling their bookshelves of seldom read titles every other month and offer them for sale to the public--1st week hardcover $2.00, trade edition $1.50 and pocket $1.00...each week after the price is decreased by 40% or so until the 4th week when they sell them for $2.00 a plastic grocery bag--six to fifteen volumes--full...So some of the "boring" titles get shipped to the clearance table after just six months to a year in service...Last year I had borrowed a new release from the library--wait listed as the third reader of it and bought it recently as I was the last reader of it.

EDIT
Sorry forgot these:
Beyond Chutzpah: On the Misuse of Anti-Semitism and the Abuse of History by Norman G. Finkelstein
The Holocaust Industry: Reflections on the Exploitation of Jewish Suffering by Norman G. Finkelstein
Both are a must in any pro-Israel, Goy's (non Jewish), library...Nu, it kudn't hoit in even a Yid's (Jew's) library!
Last edited by SeekHer on Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jered

Postby Jered » Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:56 am

I'm working on Atlas Shrugged.

It's ok. Ayn Rand's sexual views. WTF.

Netpackrat
Probably Unemployed

Postby Netpackrat » Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:56 am

Jered wrote:I'm working on Atlas Shrugged.

It's ok. Ayn Rand's sexual views. WTF.

What about them?

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop

SeekHer
On a list somewhere

Postby SeekHer » Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:43 am

Just Ordered:
Sniper: American Single-Shot Warriors in Iraq and Afghanistan.....Larsen.....Matt
Hunters: U.S. Snipers in the War on Terror.....Afong.....Milo S.
Sniping In The Great War.....Pegler.....Martin
Sniper Anthology: Snipers of the Second World War.....Pegler.....Martin--pre-order Nov 2011 release date
Sniper Rifles: From the 19th to the 21st Century.....Pegler.....Martin
Sniper: A History of the US Marksman.....Pegler.....Martin
Osprey Weapons: The Lee-Enfield Rifle.....Pegler.....Martin

Jack Hinson's One-Man War, A Civil War Sniper.....McKenney.....Tom
Sharpshooting in the Civil War.....Plaster.....John, Mjr.
Sharpshooters (1750-1900): The Men, Their Guns, Their Story.....Yee.....Gary
Sniper Ace: From the Eastern Front to Siberia.....Sutkus.....Bruno
Red Sniper on the Eastern Front: The Memoirs of Joseph Pilyushin.....Pilyushin.....Joseph

Dead Shot.....Coughlin.....Jack, Sgt......Fiction--His first book was very well done, so why not
Clean Kill.....Coughlin.....Jack, Sgt......Fiction

Rumpshot
Active Shooter

Postby Rumpshot » Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:09 pm

Patrick O'Brian. Master and Commander series. Finished Master and Commander. Reading H.M.S. Surprise. Got a copy of The Far Side of the World on hand.

We are finding copies at different places.
NRA Life Member
VFW Life Member
NMLRA Field Rep
North Central Arizona

Dub_James
Active Shooter

Postby Dub_James » Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:54 pm

Finished The Diamond Age, now almost done with Tom Kratman's Caliphate.
Oh, the heads that turn
Make my back burn

-She Sells Sanctuary
The Cult

308Mike

Postby 308Mike » Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:29 am

Recently finished 'The Hill' (see my post above for link and further information), and am now rereading The Expendables:

(another GREAT Leonard B. Scott book).

Aglifter
Probably Unemployed

Postby Aglifter » Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:25 am

TheArmsman wrote:Between my GF, (a long-haired, red-headed belly-dancer)
Sounds familiar, except...

Er... OK, so I have a history w. red-heads and ballet teachers - but, take heed of the hard-learned lessons of others: Learn to duck...
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm Reliance on the Protection of Divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our lives, our Fortunes, & our sacred Honor

A gentleman unarmed is undressed.

Collects of 1903/08 Colt Pocket Auto

Denis

Postby Denis » Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:01 am

I just finished Gears and gearcutting, by Ivan Law, and I just started Workshop Techniques by George H. Thomas.

BTW, the Book Depository (first link above) is having a summer sale, and they offer free worldwide shipping, which is handy for some of these machining reference books from the UK.

Aegis
Trigger Junkie

Postby Aegis » Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:19 am

Denis wrote:BTW, the Book Depository (first link above) is having a summer sale, and they offer free worldwide shipping, which is handy for some of these machining reference books from the UK.

I ordered one book from them last time you mentioned it. Paid US$13.28, and it was shipped airmail 5000 miles from the UK to Porland, Oregon. SOMEONE lost money on that deal, and I'm pretty sure it wasn't me...

Denis

Postby Denis » Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:59 am

Aegis wrote:
Denis wrote:BTW, the Book Depository (first link above) is having a summer sale, and they offer free worldwide shipping, which is handy for some of these machining reference books from the UK.

I ordered one book from them last time you mentioned it. Paid US$13.28, and it was shipped airmail 5000 miles from the UK to Porland, Oregon. SOMEONE lost money on that deal, and I'm pretty sure it wasn't me...

Indeed. I have bought nearly a full set of the "special interest" model engineering books for way less than half the cover price, and all shipped gratis. I don't know how they can be making money. I suppose it's because they carry the "long tail" and those books are almost given away by publishing houses, who would otherwise have to store them someplace, or pay money to pulp them.

BTW, if anyone else is thinking of trying the Book Depository, let me know - I believe I received some sort of offer recently - if I recommend you, you get an additional 10% off, and so do I or somesuch...

Greg
Probably Unemployed

Postby Greg » Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:47 pm

Most of the way through "Hard Magic" right now. Either Larry Correia has improved remarkably as a writer in a short time, or he's been holding back on us in a shameful fashion making the MHI books as cheesy (yeah they're incredibly enjoyable anyway) as they are.

cageym
Case Shiner

Postby cageym » Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:52 pm

Off Armageddon Reef by David Webber. Just started a couple of days ago.
RESISTANCE IS NOT FUTILE. It's voltage divided by current.

There is no such thing as overkill. There is only "Open fire!" and "Reloading!"
-John Ringo "The Hot Gate"

Denis

Postby Denis » Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:33 pm

Greg wrote:Either Larry Correia has improved remarkably as a writer in a short time, or he's been holding back on us in a shameful fashion...

Or MHI has made him enough money to employ a ghost writer... :shock:

Apologies in advance if I'm wronging Mr Correia - IIRC he is, or was, a member here... perhaps it's just that practice makes perfect.

I'm about two-thirds of the way through Wilbur Smith's "Courtney" saga. I had intended to save them for my holidays, but made the mistake of reading "just a few pages" of the first.

Netpackrat
Probably Unemployed

Postby Netpackrat » Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:04 pm

Greg wrote:Most of the way through "Hard Magic" right now. Either Larry Correia has improved remarkably as a writer in a short time, or he's been holding back on us in a shameful fashion making the MHI books as cheesy (yeah they're incredibly enjoyable anyway) as they are.

I've been staying away from the non MHI work (I really don't need to become slave to another ongoing fiction series right now), but I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt on this. When you consider that MHI was his first book, and was initially self-published, I think it's entirely reasonable to expect his writing to improve rapidly as he gets more practice, just as with any other craft. Also take into account that the MHI books are supposed to be a little cheesy, since the whole premise is the combination of "B" movie plotlines and a gun owner's wet dream.

Jered

Postby Jered » Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:12 pm

The Complete Hammer's Slammers Volume 3.

Greg
Probably Unemployed

Postby Greg » Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:33 pm

CByrneIV wrote:
Greg wrote:Most of the way through "Hard Magic" right now. Either Larry Correia has improved remarkably as a writer in a short time, or he's been holding back on us in a shameful fashion making the MHI books as cheesy (yeah they're incredibly enjoyable anyway) as they are.

Or y'all aren't aware of how the publishing industry works.

MHI was written over five years ago at this point. It just took 3 years to get published.

Larry wrote two other books in between, all of which are in stream for publishing or have also been published. Hard Magic is actually the fourth book he wrote; though it's the third book released.

There are now three books in the Monster Hunter series (alpha comes out in paperback shortly), two in the Hard Magic universe (second book is done and in editing), and two books in the "Dead Six" (the first is in editing, the earc is coming shortly. It also was started about five years ago, as a collaborative project and was mostly completed two years ago, but needed editing and re-write. The second isn't finished yet but will be in a month or two).

He's also contracted for 8 more books over the next five years.

The MHI books are DELIBERATEY cheezy. They are basically action movie scripts in novel form. That was intentional.

I know a bit about how publishing works, I worked in a related business for some time. I was already aware of all of this (except I didn't know he was under contract for so *many* books, damn he keeps busy), but it doesn't make what I wrote any less true.

I own both available MHI books, and will probably wind up collecting everything else... but I might enjoy the MHI books a little more if they weren't *quite* so cheesy- and yes I know it was on purpose. Anyone who judges Correia as an author based just on the MHI books, is, I suspect, going to wind up missing out on a lot.

Greg
Probably Unemployed

Postby Greg » Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:43 pm

CByrneIV wrote:
Greg wrote:
I own both available MHI books, and will probably wind up collecting everything else... but I might enjoy the MHI books a little more if they weren't *quite* so cheesy- and yes I know it was on purpose. Anyone who judges Correia as an author based just on the MHI books, is, I suspect, going to wind up missing out on a lot.

Well, it got him a movie deal. The two published books have both been optioned.

Not that that means a movie will actually be made; but there is a producer, director, a couple of cast members, and a budget already attached, so it's looking pretty solid.

Basically, he got the deal because the books could be translated directly into screenplays.

Hey, I didn't know that. Awesome. I might actually venture into a theater and pay money for that. (I honestly am not sure what the last movie I saw on the big screen was, it may have been Serenity.)

I should note, Larry is a pretty good friend of mine. I'm a minor character in one of his books (a little more than a standard redshirting, but not a recurring; named and gloriously killed in Dead Six), and he's used some of my stories and my "character" as it were in a couple other places.

The point of this was though that

1. he wasn't "holding back" as it were, the books were written very deliberately; with style and pacing such that they would be very much like action movies, because LArry thought they would be good action movies and wanted them to be seen as such.

Not really meant a slight, just expressing a matter of taste (possibly with a poor choice of words).

2. There was three years and three other books in between MHI and HArd MAgic; so even if he had improved (and he did. Hard Magic is definitely his best book, though it's still not where it could be), it wasn't all that quickly.

3 books and 3 years is still damn quick, especially for someone not spending his full time and attention perfecting his craft.

Captain Wheelgun
Loose Cannon

Postby Captain Wheelgun » Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:42 am

cageym wrote:Off Armageddon Reef by David Webber. Just started a couple of days ago.

I'm about 3/4 through that one myself right now.
"The best diplomat I know is a fully charged phaser bank" - Cmdr. Montgomery Scott
Captain Wheelgun's World

skb12172

Postby skb12172 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:47 pm

This summer, I've read...

Open by Andre Agassi

The Big Fight by Sugar Ray Leonard

God In My Corner by George Foreman

My View From The Corner by Angelo Dundee

I am also re-reading the Christian Bible, using a study bible that breaks it down into daily readings over a year's time.
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.

Mike OTDP
On a list somewhere

Postby Mike OTDP » Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:21 am

Just finished The '45 by Christopher Duffy (a military history of the Jacobite Rising). Rereading The Anatomy of Victory by Brent Nosworthy (covers linear warfare tactics, and sets up Nosworthy's works on Napoleonic and Civil War tactics).

Dub_James
Active Shooter

Postby Dub_James » Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:29 am

On to Steakley's Armor now.

Looking forward to the next MHI. They scream out for being made into movies, I'll look for them a cinema in the future :) Seriously, Gnomies from the Hood, can't beat that. :D

I'll probably try Hard Magic next.
Oh, the heads that turn
Make my back burn

-She Sells Sanctuary
The Cult

Aegis
Trigger Junkie

Postby Aegis » Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:18 am

Just started Brandon Sanderson's The Way of Kings (first one in the newest series he's coming out with.) For those unaware, he's the author who was chosen to finish the Wheel of Time series after Robert Jordan died. I've read all his adult fiction so far (Elantris, Warbreaker, and the Mistborn trilogy), and they've been consistently well-above the standard for the genre. Not to mention that for each universe he's created an entirely new, well-constructed form of magic that pervades its entire world seamlessly.

RangerWT
Case Shiner

Postby RangerWT » Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:07 pm

Just started James Rollins' "The Devil Colony". Also picked up both MHI books last weekend. I'm starting on them next.
“Have you paid your dues, Jack?” — “Yes sir, the check is in the mail.” - Jack Burton (Big Trouble in Little China)

Darrell

Postby Darrell » Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:58 pm

Finally finished rerereading the second volume of Shelby Foote's The Civil War: A Narrative. Just started Scalzi's Agent To The Stars.

From Dawn To Decadence looked depressing, and these times are depressing enough. I'll save it for a rainy day.
Eppur si muove--Galileo

Jered

Postby Jered » Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:30 am

The Law, by Frederic Bastiat:

{I hope you don't mind my edits - Mike}

308Mike

Postby 308Mike » Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:27 am

Well, I'm wrappin' up reading Phantom Warriors (LRRPs, LRPs, and Rangers in Vietnam):

And am getting ready to start Lucky's Bridge (Tom Wilson, author of Termite Hill):

Once I get done with these two, I might be looking into cruising through this post and grabbing a few of the other outstanding books mentioned and/or read by my fellow GunCounter reading geeks. :lol: :lol: :D :D :D ;) ;)

As much as I like reading about surface combat, I think I'd due for a break and might go back and re-read a couple of my old favorites: The Silent Service - Grayback Class, and the other I've just noticed I've read recently - Boomer - which (IMHO) wasn't nearly as good as the Silent Service books, probably because the "Service" books are based upon REAL action/encounters/history, whereas Boomer is entirely fictional (and might even be part of the basis for the movie Crimson Tide - even though they don't say so).

Of course, YMMV (GREATLY), but I tend to prefer the historical perspectives rather than the fictional story building and other things that go along with PURE fictional writing about historical events. Books containing both fiction AND historical record I can tolerate, and even enjoy, knowing they are NOT trying to recreate history but simply trying to tell another story for a different viewpoint while incorporating other perspectives and experiences.

Semper Fi!

Jered

Postby Jered » Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:58 am

Did you have to google my guy, Mike?

That book is well worth a read. It's up there with The Road to Serfdom.

Cybrludite
Active Shooter

Postby Cybrludite » Sun Jul 17, 2011 2:42 pm

Last weekend I read, Webb's "Born Fighting", Stross' "The Fuller Memorandum", Van Goht's "The Weaponshops of Isher", and Pournelle's "High Justice". Between flying & waiting on panels, I read a lot at conventions.
"If it ain't the Devil's Music, you ain't doin' it right." - Chris Thomas King

"When liberal democracies collapse, someone comes along who promises to make the trains run on time if we load the right people into them." - Tam K.

SeekHer
On a list somewhere

Postby SeekHer » Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:25 pm

I was at the used book store and came across some great fishing books from the 1980s, 1970s and 1930s.

Traver, Robert.....Trout Madness

Gierach, John.....Standing in a River Waving a Stick

Haig-Brown, Roderick.....The Western Angler -- The only one of his great works that I hadn't read in the past--great find as now it completes the series..

Also by the same authors that I can recommend:
Traver, Robert.....
Trout Magic
Laughing Whitefish
Anatomy of a Fisherman
-- all hilariously funny
He also wrote a number of crime novels that weren't bad...He was a lawyer--but we won't hold that against him--yet his style was very lively, comical in a very oblique manner.

Gierach, John.....
Sex, Death and Flyfishing -- First One that I had read and what got me hooked on him as a writer and educator...One of the best untrained naturalists.
Fishing Bamboo
Dances With Trout -- Great read
Even Brook Trout Get the Blues
Another Lousy Day in Paradise
Where the Trout Are: As Long as your Leg
Fly Fishing Small Streams -- Excellent work on technique
The View from Rat Lake
Trout Bums -- Spawned a whole group of anglers and a trade name for rods
[i]Fly Fishing the High Country[/i] -- Another excellent work on technique

Haig-Brown, Roderick.....
A River Never Sleeps
Fisherman's Spring
Fisherman's Summer
Fisherman's Fall
Fisherman's Winter
Return to the River

All magnificent works by the acclaimed dean of Fly Fishermen from the 1930s to 1950s...Written in "English" from the time period but still with wit, humour and a superlative eye for detail...Must have for any avid flyfisher...This now gives me his complete set...I bought a few in the 1970s and hadn't picked up a fly rod until about 2000/2001...His detail even worked for spinning rigs on fish habitat, behaviour and feeding habits

They also had the complete twenty two volume series of Casca the Eternal Mercenary by Barry Sadler--who also wrote the "The Ballard of the Green Berets" song...He extensively researched his stories before writing them covering from ±40AD in Judea to the 1970s and Vietnam and the Israeli Wars...I had read them back in the 1980s and enjoyed them then and the complete set was only $40 (twice what they were new) so I bought them.

Denis

Postby Denis » Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:38 pm

SeekHer wrote: ... He was a lawyer--but we won't hold that against him...

Aha.

Are you going soft in your old age, my friend?

:shock:

Return to “Culture Junkies”