Oxford compiles list of top ten irritating phrases

Everything cultural, pop or otherwise. Books, movies, music, comics, poetry, random cultural geekery.
randy

Re: Oxford compiles list of top ten irritating phrases

Post by randy »

Cybrludite wrote:
Fivetoes wrote:I With my regular users at work, I'll use "candles and gris-gris powder" in lieu of whatever item I'm firing up to free up their printer in mainframe or reset whichever password they've forgotten. "Oh, it's your Novell password, not your OCW one. Hang on. That's a different set of candles and gris-gris powder..." Hell, they think what I do here is only a step or two short of witchcraft anyhow. :twisted:
My Father-in-law taught computer science and ran the network at a local High School before he retired. He had a collection feathers, a rubber chicken, beads, and a plastic skull he'd pull out for system upgrades, etc.

Me personally, I always reccommend the 5 pound Computer Adjustment Tool.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Combat Controller
Site Admin

Post by Combat Controller »

Fivetoes wrote:
Thingy-Kind of cute when a woman uses it but come on men, learn the nomenclature.
Like a compass in the stock and a thingy that tells time?
Winner of the prestigious Автомат Калашникова образца 1947 года award for excellence in rural travel.
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Denis wrote:Not a whole phrase, but a pseudo-word which sets my teeth on edge every time: "attendee"; as in "there were 100 attendees at our seminar yesterday". The correct word is, of course, "participant".
I don't know, Denis. I've been to plenty of seminars where I was one of about three participants and the other 87 were mere attendees.
Cybrludite wrote:"Oh, it's your Novell password, not your OCW one. Hang on. That's a different set of candles and gris-gris powder..." Hell, they think what I do here is only a step or two short of witchcraft anyhow. :twisted:
Back in the dark ages when I supported ...Artisoft?.. networks and DOS based AutoCAD, I'd occasionally start messing with something and it would start working. Among myself, I called it voodoo computer repair. I figured the machine was just afraid of me. If the client asked what I'd done, I'd tell them I'd had to adjust the Thurman Unit. Or add blinker fluid.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
Combat Controller
Site Admin

Post by Combat Controller »

At meetings for years at my various companies we play a game called Bullshit Bingo. It is a card with lots of annoying over and mis used words. If you got a lot of the slag/lingo in a row, you could yell Bingo! in the middle of the meeting.

LOL, you know, my ops manager decorated our new corporate apartment in LA with Demotivators. Shows what kind of culture we have fostered here...
Winner of the prestigious Автомат Калашникова образца 1947 года award for excellence in rural travel.
Fivetoes

Post by Fivetoes »

CombatController wrote:
Fivetoes wrote:
Thingy-Kind of cute when a woman uses it but come on men, learn the nomenclature.
Like a compass in the stock and a thingy that tells time?
My compass broke the first time it felt recoil and my thingy points to six most of the time these days. :lol:
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

308Mike wrote:When people use ... "axe" instead of "ask".
With all due respect, I personally think you absolutely shouldn't of made such a racist statement on this fairly unique forum. No matter what innocent humor might have been intended, at the end of the day somebody might be offended. At this moment in time, I think it's a nightmare waiting to happen, and as a moderator you should be working 24/7 to rid the board of this filth, rather than promoting it. I mean, come on, it's not rocket science, you know?
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
workinwifdakids

Post by workinwifdakids »

With all due respect, I personally think you absolutely shouldn't of made such a racist statement on this fairly unique forum. No matter what innocent humor might have been intended, at the end of the day somebody might be offended. At this moment in time, I think it's a nightmare waiting to happen, and as a moderator you should be working 24/7 to rid the board of this filth, rather than promoting it. I mean, come on, it's not rocket science, you know?

I wish I knew a good slur for Alaskans.
Alta-alta-Californians?
And may I say, from a moral point of view, I think there can be no justification for shoving snack cakes up your action.
--Weetabix
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

CByrneIV wrote:I wish I knew a good slur for Alaskans ;-)
Call him a cheechako.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

ROAR/ :lol:

beat me to it Weeta.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
SoupOrMan

Post by SoupOrMan »

My two pet peeves from my job:

"Here's the deal" -- While normally it's used in place of "This is my current situation" or "This is my line of thought on the subject" in daily life in Central Illinois, at my job it translates to "I'm too lazy to read your 6th-grade reading level manuals and want you to do this for me."

"Hypothetically" -- When said in a Chicago accent it means "I just did this, I know it's illegal, you know it's illegal, please cover my ass and protect me using an outrageously-incorrect reading of the Election Code." E.g. with dialect: "Hypothetically speakin', yer honor (for some reason they call us this although none of us are judges) if I took a anonymous cash donation of over five hunnerd dollars from dis guy in da Bridgeport neighborhood whose name may er not be a spoonerism'a Ditchard Railey, what could I do to keep da money while acknowledgin' dat I don't know dis mook?"

I can't kill with a thought yet, but I have this feeling that with more calls like that I'll be able to develop that ability through sheer willpower.
Remember, folks, you can't spell "douche" without "Che."

“PET PARENTS?” You’re not a “pet parent.” You’re a pet owner. Unless you’ve committed an unnatural act that succeeded in spite of biology. - Glenn Reynolds