I need a new fiction author to follow

Everything cultural, pop or otherwise. Books, movies, music, comics, poetry, random cultural geekery.
JKosprey

Re: I need a new fiction author to follow

Post by JKosprey »

I'm a big fan of Vince Flynn's books centering around a CIA spook named Mitch Rapp.
Little Sister

Post by Little Sister »

I would suggest the Ring of Fire series by Eric Flint and David Weber. Lots of history, military plotting and human stories. A good long series of books starting with 1632. There are also short stories to fill in some of the blanks.
Never underestimate the power of human stupidity - Robert Heinlein
cageym

Post by cageym »

JKosprey wrote:I'm a big fan of Vince Flynn's books centering around a CIA spook named Mitch Rapp.
I read one of his books, started to read another. Didn't get to far when I realized I was going to spend the whole time picking out technical errors. I'm thinking he didn't spend as much time on research as he should have.
RESISTANCE IS NOT FUTILE. It's voltage divided by current.

There is no such thing as overkill. There is only "Open fire!" and "Reloading!"
-John Ringo "The Hot Gate"
cageym

Post by cageym »

Chris, the one that really got me, that was such an easy thing to find out, was calling the USS Independence (CV-62) a nuke.
If you haven't read W.E.B. Griffin I recommend you start with "the corps" or "brotherhood of war" and go from there. That'll keep you busy for a year or so.
I've read both several times, and his other series, but those 2 are my favorite. I recomend them completely to anyone.
RESISTANCE IS NOT FUTILE. It's voltage divided by current.

There is no such thing as overkill. There is only "Open fire!" and "Reloading!"
-John Ringo "The Hot Gate"
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Little Sister wrote:I would suggest the Ring of Fire series by Eric Flint and David Weber. Lots of history, military plotting and human stories. A good long series of books starting with 1632. There are also short stories to fill in some of the blanks.
I haven't bought any of Flint's books since I found out he is a pro-union activist.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Rich

Post by Rich »

One of my guilty pleasures is reading books by Rita Mae Brown. You know, the ones supposedly co-written by her cat. I don't buy them, but do check them out of the branch library I haunt. Good bedside reading for those who prefer the shallow end of the pool at the end of day.

She appears to be surprisingly conservative if one goes by her stories.
A weak government usually remains a servant of citizens, while a strong government usually becomes the master of its subjects.
- paraphrased from several sources

A choice, not an echo. - Goldwater campaign, 1964
JKosprey

Post by JKosprey »

cageym wrote:
JKosprey wrote:I'm a big fan of Vince Flynn's books centering around a CIA spook named Mitch Rapp.
I read one of his books, started to read another. Didn't get to far when I realized I was going to spend the whole time picking out technical errors. I'm thinking he didn't spend as much time on research as he should have.
I see the books as an action movie in print form, so I try not to get worked up over technical errors.

Recently I started working my way through Stephen Hunter's Bob Lee Swagger books. It's the same principle, I read them for the same reason I watch Clint Eastwood movies.
Greg

Post by Greg »

Captain Wheelgun wrote:
Rumpshot wrote:Some military history based novels by Patrick O'brien. 21 books that should all be available at your local library. Language style from 1790's-1820's. Sailing, geography, life aboard a sailing ship. Pretty good stuff. 21 books should keep you occupied at least til Christmas.
+1 for O'Brian's Aubrey / Maturin series. The first book is 'Master and Commander'. This is one of the two books from the series that the Russell Crowe movie was based on. This series was also one of David Drake's inspirations for his 'Lt. Leary, RCN' series.

Along those same lines, I also recommend C.S. Forester's Hornblower series.
+1. If you hadn't already wrote this, I would have. :D

For a little variety, I highly recommend Drake's first attempt to write age-of-sail inspired stories. They came out a little... different. The Reaches series, called (IIRC this is the order) The Reaches, Through the Breach and Fireships. They're sort-of based on the career of Sir Francis Drake.

Oh and someone else mentioned Kratman. Seconded. He seems to get better with every book. He's got the Ringo collaborations, and 2 series of his own- one sci-fi (the 'Carrera' books, starting with A Desert Called Peace) and the other technothriller (the 'Countdown' books, starting with The Liberators).
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
George guy

Post by George guy »

I'd recommend Harry Turtledove if you like alternate history.

"Hard"

How Few Remain - The South wins the Civil War
The Great War series (10 volumes) - The South won the Civil War -- fast forward to the period from 1913-1945.
Ruled Britannia - The Spanish successfully invaded England and Will Shakespeare must inspire a rebellion.

"Soft"
Guns of the South - Robert E. Lee gets a few cases of AK-47s from a group of South African white supremacists from the future.
Worldwar series (7 volumes) - Aliens from Tau Ceti invade in 1943, seeking to add Earth to their small interstellar empire, bringing what they believe will be an utterly overwhelming force to subdue the inhabitants. Their intelligence on Earth's military capability is, however, 800 years out of date, and reinforcements are 20 years behind as they can't actually go faster than light.
'Regulate' used to mean the opposite of 'constipate.'
Darrell

Post by Darrell »

CByrneIV wrote:Frankly, if I refused to consume entertainment produce by people with whom I disagree politically, there wouldn't be much entertainment for me to consume.
If they get in my face about their politics, I write them off. Culture war and all that. This is why I quit watching network TV, and don't watch most movies.
Eppur si muove--Galileo