Whatcha reading redux.

Everything cultural, pop or otherwise. Books, movies, music, comics, poetry, random cultural geekery.
Netpackrat

Re: Whatcha reading redux.

Post by Netpackrat »

Dub_James wrote:
Netpackrat wrote:Read MH: Alpha last week.... I was gonna save it for this trip I am on now, but I figured I could read the first chapter or so harmlessly enough. Wrong. Didn't eat, didn't sleep, didn't go anywhere or do anything until it was finished.

Heh, having the same problem at the moment :)
Not really, since I didn't turn on my computer the entire time.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Darrell

Post by Darrell »

I started Monster Hunter International last night, read the first chapter. It did not disappoint. :lol: It does grab ya on page one.
Eppur si muove--Galileo
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Just finished A Season for Slaughter the last book published so far in the Chtorr series.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Darrell

Post by Darrell »

HTRN wrote:Just finished A Season for Slaughter the last book published so far in the Chtorr series.
I read the Chtorr series by David Gerrold (the guy who wrote The Trouble With Tribbles for Star Trek, IIRC), it started off great but went off the tracks around the second or third book, IMO.

If you want to read a real rock'em sock'em old school sort of sci fi novel, check out Gerrold's Voyage Of The Star Wolf. Humans vs. Morthans ("More Than Human"), genetically/biologically modified ex-humans in interstellar battle. It rocks. There are a couple of sequels, but VOST is the best.
Eppur si muove--Galileo
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

It's interesting in that the premise is alien invasion, but instead of the typical ominious giant spaceships hovering over American Cities, the war is one of ecologies - the Chtorran one is far more aggressive than Earths.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
cu74

Post by cu74 »

I'm about half-way through THE PACIFIC WAR by John Costello. He spends the first 80-90 pages on a brief history timeline to lay out the reasons behind Japan's "need" to go to war in 1941. So far it is a good read.
Jim Dozier - Straight, but not narrow...
“A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition.” - Rudyard Kipling.
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

I just finished The Whiskey Rebellion by William Hogeland. It didn't do anything to dissuade me from my belief that Aaron Burr got a bum rap.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Aegis

Post by Aegis »

Started The Lost Fleet series on Monday. Finished the second book about ten minutes ago. They're relatively short books, but even quicker reading than one might expect.

Interesting how he actually takes relativistic effects into account during space battles; I can't recall reading anything else that does so (the closest I can recall involves the Picard Maneuver in Star Trek: TNG.) The so-far minor romantic subplot is a bit jarring at first; it may become more important later, so who knows?

Thumbs up for a modern military science fiction book that explores the laws and morality of war.
Chicks dig fixed bayonets
John_in_Longview

Post by John_in_Longview »

Too many typos, but I think they wanted to have the first book out for version 4....

308Mike

Post by 308Mike »

*JUST* finished MHI Alpha. Another great book!! I could EASILY see them making this a series of movies like the Harry Potter bunch of movies, and they could be VERY creative and experimental in their videography techniques to try and get all the monsters and their capabilities on film.

Something like this would be an absolute BLAST to shoot!!
POLITICIANS & DIAPERS NEED TO BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON

A person properly schooled in right and wrong is safe with any weapon. A person with no idea of good and evil is unsafe with a knitting needle, or the cap from a ballpoint pen.

I remain pessimistic given the way BATF and the anti gun crowd have become tape worms in the guts of the Republic. - toad