Oxford compiles list of top ten irritating phrases

Everything cultural, pop or otherwise. Books, movies, music, comics, poetry, random cultural geekery.
308Mike

Re: Oxford compiles list of top ten irritating phrases

Post by 308Mike »

It seems a lot of people, particularly those on the east coast, tend to throw an "R" on the end of words which end with an "A". Idea & idear, etc., etc.
POLITICIANS & DIAPERS NEED TO BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON

A person properly schooled in right and wrong is safe with any weapon. A person with no idea of good and evil is unsafe with a knitting needle, or the cap from a ballpoint pen.

I remain pessimistic given the way BATF and the anti gun crowd have become tape worms in the guts of the Republic. - toad
The Quiet Man

Post by The Quiet Man »

"Conversate" when they actually mean "Converse"...I don't know why, but when I hear that it is akin to fingernails on a chalk board...it just makes me cringe.
drice

Post by drice »

rightisright wrote:I'd add any of the insidious "business" phrases, such as:

Touch base
Reach out
Mission critical
Actionable
Operationalize

I could go on... but I won't ;-)
Going forward...
I hate hearing that.
Fivetoes

Post by Fivetoes »

Using verbs as a noun and a noun as a verb. Such as "Networking".
workinwifdakids

Post by workinwifdakids »

Going forward...
Ooh, good one! The one that makes my trigger finger itch is "go ahead," as in, "Let's go ahead and..." My wife told me to calm down; she said it just means to move forward.

I said, "Then how is it possible that someone said, 'Let's go ahead and hold off on that'?" "Go ahead" (or "going forward") is what someone says to be pushy, but you can't call them on it.
And may I say, from a moral point of view, I think there can be no justification for shoving snack cakes up your action.
--Weetabix
308Mike

Post by 308Mike »

Any and all election buzzwords like: the latest polls; disenfranchised; hope & change; groundswell; voter demographic; reach across the aisle; yes, we can; etc., etc...
POLITICIANS & DIAPERS NEED TO BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON

A person properly schooled in right and wrong is safe with any weapon. A person with no idea of good and evil is unsafe with a knitting needle, or the cap from a ballpoint pen.

I remain pessimistic given the way BATF and the anti gun crowd have become tape worms in the guts of the Republic. - toad
Lokidude

Post by Lokidude »

I'll have to start transcribing some of the things that come out of my uncle and cousin's mouths. I swear, I should be certified as a translator in "One-tooth redneck" from my time around them.
workinwifdakids wrote: We've thus far avoided the temptation to jack an entire forum.

But what the hell.
Standing for Truth, Justice, and the American Way!
Aglifter

Post by Aglifter »

"Redneck" can be a useful code language at times, provided both parties can speak it rapidly, and speak the same dialect -- Mountain Carolina redneck is incomprehensible to me, but I speak most Texas forms fluently enough, aside from older residents of far north Texas...
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm Reliance on the Protection of Divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our lives, our Fortunes, & our sacred Honor

A gentleman unarmed is undressed.

Collects of 1903/08 Colt Pocket Auto
Ben Rumson

Post by Ben Rumson »

308Mike wrote:It seems a lot of people, particularly those on the east coast, tend to throw an "R" on the end of words which end with an "A". Idea & idear, etc., etc.
That's more of a New England thang.
Ben Rumson

Post by Ben Rumson »

I don't like Redneck. It's used as an insult in my area. When I hear it, I call people out on it. No different then dropping the N bomb in my opinion.