Whatcha reading redux.

Everything cultural, pop or otherwise. Books, movies, music, comics, poetry, random cultural geekery.
First Shirt
Active Shooter

Re: Whatcha reading redux.

Postby First Shirt » Tue May 10, 2016 3:43 am

Just finished Greyfriars Bobby which was a free Kindle download. Damn, it's dusty in here!
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom

Rich Jordan
Trigger Junkie

Postby Rich Jordan » Sun May 22, 2016 5:55 pm

Found at a local book clearance sale.

"The 6th Infantry Division In World War II - 1939 - 1945"
by The Division Public Relations Section
Washington Infantry Journal Press

First edition, May 1947

No jacket (if it ever came with one) and the binding is a bit weak. This book was read a fair amount.

Top of the stack when I'm done with my current book. Its not rare but a neat find for $2, and fits well with my Britain's Homage book and a few other period titles.

=====

ETA; I looked up the association because the last page included subscription info (at the time $1/year for the newsletter); apparently the Sixth Division Association is in the process of dissolving. The 6th was inactivated in '94, one of the many reductions by Clinton, and the nonprofit Association has been dwindling in membership and resources ever since. They're taking a vote to dissolve, and turn over remaining resources, mementos, etc to a museum. The next newsletter will likely be the last.

toad
On a list somewhere

Postby toad » Mon May 23, 2016 1:38 am

SeekHer wrote:I was at the used book store and came across some great fishing books from the 1980s, 1970s and 1930s.

Traver, Robert.....Trout Madness

Gierach, John.....Standing in a River Waving a Stick

Haig-Brown, Roderick.....The Western Angler -- The only one of his great works that I hadn't read in the past--great find as now it completes the series..

Also by the same authors that I can recommend:
Traver, Robert.....
Trout Magic
Laughing Whitefish
Anatomy of a Fisherman
-- all hilariously funny
He also wrote a number of crime novels that weren't bad...He was a lawyer--but we won't hold that against him--yet his style was very lively, comical in a very oblique manner.

Gierach, John.....
Sex, Death and Flyfishing -- First One that I had read and what got me hooked on him as a writer and educator...One of the best untrained naturalists.
Fishing Bamboo
Dances With Trout -- Great read
Even Brook Trout Get the Blues
Another Lousy Day in Paradise
Where the Trout Are: As Long as your Leg
Fly Fishing Small Streams -- Excellent work on technique
The View from Rat Lake
Trout Bums -- Spawned a whole group of anglers and a trade name for rods
[i]Fly Fishing the High Country[/i] -- Another excellent work on technique

Haig-Brown, Roderick.....
A River Never Sleeps
Fisherman's Spring
Fisherman's Summer
Fisherman's Fall
Fisherman's Winter
Return to the River

All magnificent works by the acclaimed dean of Fly Fishermen from the 1930s to 1950s...Written in "English" from the time period but still with wit, humour and a superlative eye for detail...Must have for any avid flyfisher...This now gives me his complete set...I bought a few in the 1970s and hadn't picked up a fly rod until about 2000/2001...His detail even worked for spinning rigs on fish habitat, behaviour and feeding habits

They also had the complete twenty two volume series of Casca the Eternal Mercenary by Barry Sadler--who also wrote the "The Ballard of the Green Berets" song...He extensively researched his stories before writing them covering from ±40AD in Judea to the 1970s and Vietnam and the Israeli Wars...I had read them back in the 1980s and enjoyed them then and the complete set was only $40 (twice what they were new) so I bought them.

I've lost the ability to set still or repeatedly cast a line. It takes too long now for me to get to decent fishing water. My idea of fishing now involves nets and lime bombs.
I need to check half price for some of those Barry Sadler books. I remember being surprised at how well he researched them.
There are some as Ebooks on Amazon.

evan price
Trigger Junkie

Postby evan price » Mon May 23, 2016 5:14 am

After a brief fling in the genre in the 90s thanks to the SERRAted Edge books by Mercedes Lackey and playing a lot of Shadowrun-
I've rediscovered "Urban fantasy" thanks to Jim Butcher's Dresden Files.
(And despite David Coe's Justis Fearsson series which tried hard to get me to not go back to UF.)

Reading Kevin Hearne's Iron Druid series, which is so far not bad. I'm in Book Six iirc.

Reading Kim Harrison's The Hollows which is a more estrogen-heavy series but still enjoyable, set in an alt-Cincinnati. Book Four I think.

Reading Laurell K Hamilton's Anita Blake- Vampire Hunter series, which is even more estrogen-ey, but still OK after the first book.

I have Patricia Brigg's Moon Called on the table to start which is the first of the Mercy Thompson series, but the idea of reading THREE similar genre story arcs at once is beginning to give me trouble and adding a fourth might be a bad idea.
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc

http://ohioccwforums.org/
Ohioans for Concealed Carry:THE source for Ohio CCW information and discussion!

Termite
Probably Unemployed

Postby Termite » Wed Jun 08, 2016 4:24 pm

Just finished Thomas Jefferson and the Barbary Pirates.

Pretty good read.
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."

Netpackrat
Probably Unemployed

Postby Netpackrat » Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:38 pm

I'm most of the way through "C Stories" by Jeff Cooper. The first of several books my brother and his wife gave me for my birthday.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop

Weetabix
Active Shooter

Postby Weetabix » Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:27 pm

Just finished Eats, Shoots, and Leaves. I'm not sure what it says about me that I really enjoy reading about punctuation, but there it is. :geek:
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D

dfwmtx
Trigger Junkie

Postby dfwmtx » Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:20 pm

I've gone through so many of the Jack Reacher books I've lost count. I swear, 3 of them were like Reacher's anti-criminal rampage through America's breadbasket. Stopped currently on some novella so I can re-read S.M. Stirling's "The Peshawar Lancers", which I haven't read since college.
"Arms are honor; slaves have neither."

"I am Chaos, I am alive...and I tell you that you are free!" -Eris Discordia

dfwmtx
Trigger Junkie

Postby dfwmtx » Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:06 pm

I know Frank Herbert's son Brian finished out dad's Dune series with the help of dad's notes and a ghost writer. Haven't read those yet; still stuck on Dune 7. However, I've started reading a novel of his to see if he can come up with ideas not based on dad's source material. "The Little Green Book of Chairman Rahma". Seems like an enviromental dystopia everyone on this board would hate to live in and love to fight against. And interestingly enough, all printed in green ink.
Last edited by dfwmtx on Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Weetabix
Active Shooter

Postby Weetabix » Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:08 pm

I lost interest after Dune Messiah. Can't remember why, though.

First Shirt
Active Shooter

Postby First Shirt » Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:13 pm

Weetabix wrote:I lost interest after Dune Messiah. Can't remember why, though.

Mainly because it got boring after that. I'd have read John Ringo's grocery list before I'd have tackled the later novels.
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom

Weetabix
Active Shooter

Postby Weetabix » Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:20 pm

First Shirt wrote:
Weetabix wrote:I lost interest after Dune Messiah. Can't remember why, though.

Mainly because it got boring after that. I'd have read John Ringo's grocery list before I'd have tackled the later novels.

Cheap instant coffee?! Oh, John Ringo, no! :lol:

randy

Postby randy » Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:15 am

I read Children of Dune, primarily because it was serialized in Analog magazine and I was a subscriber. Never considered going further.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".

dfwmtx
Trigger Junkie

Postby dfwmtx » Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:48 pm

Dune Messiah seems to be the stopping point for most readers. It just gets boring after that book. Read the Wikipedia summaries if you want to know how it ends; you'll thank me for saving the wasted time in your life.

First Shirt
Active Shooter

Postby First Shirt » Sat Jun 25, 2016 1:49 am

Monster Hunter: Grunge a collaboration between John Ringo and Larry Corriea. Not a combination I would have picked, and not entirely sure how it's all going to work out, since the main character is not like any of Larry's previous main characters. But it's fun, so far.
Lindy Cooper Wisdom

Rich Jordan
Trigger Junkie

Postby Rich Jordan » Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:06 am

Book sale again. I found H. Beam Piper's "The Fuzzy Papers" (a first edition hardcover with jacket in decent shape) next to Scalzi's "Fuzzy Nation", his 'reboot' of the storyline.

Scalzi really bugs me. He is actually a good writer; his prose is tight, stories engaging... "Old Man's War" was flat awesome. But the guy is so full of anger and I've learned the last few years, blazing contempt for those who don't agree with and follow fairly leftist doctrine, and it bleeds out in the Fuzzy story in the massive changes he made to Piper's universe. Multi planetary corporations, disgraced protagonists, inbred 'families of wealth' with generational power, nobody is just a decent person.

Piper's work had some points that rub wrong now after re-reading it. Fuzzies survive as small-clan-based wandering hunter-gatherers with toolmaking skills (bone and wood), are obviously capable at surviving, working together, etc. But the response once they are declared sapient is for .gov to start 'adopting them' out to humans, and their life attitude described as 'Fuzzies just want to have fun' and they have the mentation of 8-10 year old humans. Likely this was aimed at younger readers, but it still seems an odd way to treat a truly sapient being.

Piper's Federation, based on this and other books, sounds like a place a lot of this boards' membership could be happy living. Honorable and duty-driven military, decent people who are actually decent and not just horribly flawed people who occasionally do the right thing, 'Rule of Law' that matters and is supported... sure there are bad people, but they don't drive and dominate the story, or the Federation. Piper was also a firearm enthusiast, and it shows in this story. He also has no problem with killing them what needs killing; the protagonist has a reputation as someone you don't mess with, and law enforcement is clearly ok with the results because he _is_ a good guy and the actions were justified. Come on in, hang up your gunbelt and have a drink! A very Western ethos.

Scalzi's colonial universe is clearly more problematic; the law and its systems are flawed and have to be 'gamed', the giant corporation is seriously likely to win unless everyone stoops to their level, the good guys are kinda bad (just not as bad as the really bad ones)... and Scalzi is apparently not a gun person so even on this dangerous colonial world there's little mention made. Scalzi's colonial world is full of New York/European ethos.

I'll take the Federation, thanks, even if its a little unrealistically decent given all the humans in it.

So I'm glad I read it but Fuzzy Nation got donated to charity, while The Fuzzy Papers takes a place on our shelves, replacing the two badly worn paperbacks.

Netpackrat
Probably Unemployed

Postby Netpackrat » Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:28 am

Netpackrat wrote:I'm most of the way through "C Stories" by Jeff Cooper. The first of several books my brother and his wife gave me for my birthday.

Finished that, and then read "A Long Time Until Now" by Mad Mike. Not really reading anything now... I'd been working my way through "Fry The Brain" for a while but the author kind of lost me when he started presenting the JFK assassination conspiracy theory stuff as though it were established fact.

I have one of BS Levy's racing novels waiting along with some other stuff but not sure what I am going to read next.

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop

Netpackrat
Probably Unemployed

Postby Netpackrat » Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:29 am

Oh, and Fuck Scalzi. Not interested in reading anything of his even for free.

First Shirt
Active Shooter

Postby First Shirt » Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:04 am

I've muddled through a bit of Scalzi's stuff (for free) enough to convince me that I'm never going to pay for it.
Lindy Cooper Wisdom

dfwmtx
Trigger Junkie

Postby dfwmtx » Mon Jun 27, 2016 5:33 pm

I've only read "Red Shirts" and the short story of his in the "Black Tide Rising" short story collection. What's the most odious Scalzi works, the ones that would get me on this "Oh, that's why he sucks!" page?
Like I said, only read two bits of his, but I'm impressed by his work on a technical level. Few people every write a decent 2nd person POV, and doing an entire story in dialog with no other narration or exposition is pretty good too.

Rich Jordan
Trigger Junkie

Postby Rich Jordan » Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:37 pm

dfwmtx wrote:I've only read "Red Shirts" and the short story of his in the "Black Tide Rising" short story collection. What's the most odious Scalzi works, the ones that would get me on this "Oh, that's why he sucks!" page?
Like I said, only read two bits of his, but I'm impressed by his work on a technical level. Few people every write a decent 2nd person POV, and doing an entire story in dialog with no other narration or exposition is pretty good too.

Honestly, "Old Man's War" was quite good to excellent. Yeah, there is some 'messaging' in the story but its not overbearing (it gets there in later books and is slammed into your face at the end).

If I had read Fuzzy Nation without ever having read H. Beam Piper's stories, I would probably have said it was gritty and sadly realistic in some aspects with somewhat heavy-handed messaging but still good. He doesn't rub your face in his dislike of firearms, they're just barely there compared to Piper's works. But corporations, colonialism, environmentalism, etc, yep.

What has turned me off of Scalzi overall is his presence on twitter and his blog/forum. His positions on things political, the Hugos, the Sad Puppies, his treatment of people who disagree with him (he has reportedly, confirmed to a substantial degree, modified posts to his boards that he disagreed with to make the posters look bad/stupid/etc).

I tried the Fuzzy book because I liked Old Man's War. I read it, and i sent it on. I'll doubtless re-read Piper's again in the future, in part because I love the Second Federation and would not mind living in it at all.

Weetabix
Active Shooter

Postby Weetabix » Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:40 pm

Just starting A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson - a humorous look at a hike of the Appalachian Trail. I've been meaning to try it for a while, and I found it in a used book store while waiting for a table at a restaurant in Durham, NC.

Jered
Good Christ I Need A Life

Postby Jered » Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:33 pm

dfwmtx wrote:I've only read "Red Shirts" and the short story of his in the "Black Tide Rising" short story collection. What's the most odious Scalzi works, the ones that would get me on this "Oh, that's why he sucks!" page?

I've enjoyed his works, but, because of his activities related to Sad Puppies, I'm not buying any more.
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.

Johnnyreb
Case Shiner

Postby Johnnyreb » Mon Jul 04, 2016 1:57 am

I didn't remember which box of books to look in when I got the bug for them so I bought new copies of the Forever War, the authors version with stuff that got left out of earlier versions, and Starship Troopers. Reading Starship Troopers, after so long a time since the last time, has reminded me just how much they screwed up the movie.

Last night I started on Dune. Haven't read that one in more than a few years either.

But what I want to know is when is Ringo going to do another Kildar book?

Rich Jordan
Trigger Junkie

Postby Rich Jordan » Mon Jul 04, 2016 5:12 am

Johnnyreb wrote:I didn't remember which box of books to look in when I got the bug for them so I bought new copies of the Forever War, the authors version with stuff that got left out of earlier versions, and Starship Troopers. Reading Starship Troopers, after so long a time since the last time, has reminded me just how much they screwed up the movie.

Verhoeven, the director, hated the 'politics' of the book, couldn't make himself read it all the way, and had others describe it to him. He made the government fascist instead of a representative democracy, and sucked out almost all the magic from the story. Another f*cking movie industry suckweasel.

Weetabix
Active Shooter

Postby Weetabix » Mon Jul 04, 2016 4:31 pm

Rich Jordan wrote:
Johnnyreb wrote:I didn't remember which box of books to look in when I got the bug for them so I bought new copies of the Forever War, the authors version with stuff that got left out of earlier versions, and Starship Troopers. Reading Starship Troopers, after so long a time since the last time, has reminded me just how much they screwed up the movie.

Verhoeven, the director, hated the 'politics' of the book, couldn't make himself read it all the way, and had others describe it to him. He made the government fascist instead of a representative democracy, and sucked out almost all the magic from the story. Another f*cking movie industry suckweasel.

It tells you something that the director described the movie as "attractive people killing bugs and having sex." :roll:

Rich Jordan
Trigger Junkie

Postby Rich Jordan » Tue Jul 05, 2016 5:46 am

Weetabix wrote:
Rich Jordan wrote:

It tells you something that the director described the movie as "attractive people killing bugs and having sex." :roll:

words from an asshole ruining stories and wasting celluloid.

"To the everlasting glory of the infantry, shines the name, shines the name of Rodger Young"... Verhoeven probably just didn't get it at all.

dfwmtx
Trigger Junkie

Postby dfwmtx » Wed Jul 06, 2016 5:50 pm

Just watch the Roughnecks cartoon if you want to see Starship Troopers come to life.

I've read all the Reacher I can possibly read till there's more. Now I'm reading Stephen King's "The Shining". Also picked up "Death in the City of Light" to balance this crap fiction out with actual horrific non-fiction. Humanity can be much scarier than any supernatural twaddle.

Cobar
Trigger Junkie

Postby Cobar » Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:55 pm

I think that is why fiction is so popular. It is easier for someone to think about scary stuff that can't really hurt them.

randy

Postby randy » Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:35 am

I'll just leave this here...

uf010519.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".

Windy Wilson
Active Shooter

Postby Windy Wilson » Sat Jul 09, 2016 10:35 am

Weetabix wrote:Just finished Eats, Shoots, and Leaves. I'm not sure what it says about me that I really enjoy reading about punctuation, but there it is. :geek:

I'll make an image of my rules for "Using English Good" and post it in humor.

I've read about four of the Jack Reacher books, something called The 14th Colony by Steve Berry which was pretty good, and I'm almost through with "The Secret War" by Max Hastings, it's supposedly a comprehensive report on not only cryptography in WW2 but also spies and saboteurs, too. I didn't know that Dusan Popov's code name was "Tricycle" because he liked threesomes.
The use of the word "but" usually indicates that everything preceding it in a sentence is a lie.
E.g.:
"I believe in Freedom of Speech, but". . .
"I support the Second Amendment, but". . .
--Randy

First Shirt
Active Shooter

Postby First Shirt » Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:10 am

Just finished "Monster HUnter: Grunge" and just in time for the eARC version of "Alliance of Shadows".

Good stuff, Maynard!!!!
Lindy Cooper Wisdom

Weetabix
Active Shooter

Postby Weetabix » Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:58 pm

Just finished God Save The Child, the first Spenser book, I think. In it, we meet Quirk, Belson, Healy, Susan, and Henry Cimoli. It's almost like he planned that whole ride. :D

Darrell

Postby Darrell » Fri Jul 22, 2016 4:36 pm

Presently reading Lost To The West, by Lars Brownworth. It's about the Byzantime Empire and its forgotten legacy to western culture. Another cheerful read. "Why'd Constantinople get the works? It's nobody's business but the Turks!"

https://www.amazon.com/Lost-West-Forgot ... 0307407969
Eppur si muove--Galileo

Netpackrat
Probably Unemployed

Postby Netpackrat » Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:07 pm

Darrell wrote:Presently reading Lost To The West, by Lars Brownworth. It's about the Byzantime Empire and its forgotten legacy to western culture. Another cheerful read. "Why'd Constantinople get the works? It's nobody's business but the Turks!"

https://www.amazon.com/Lost-West-Forgot ... 0307407969

I really enjoyed that book.

Captain Wheelgun
Loose Cannon

Postby Captain Wheelgun » Thu Jul 28, 2016 2:15 am

I've just finished 'Brings the Lightning' by Peter Grant. This is the review I posted on Amazon...

This should be a movie...

But keep it the hell away from Hollywierd. I haven't read any of Louis L'Amour's westerns, so I have no basis for comparison there. I am, however, a fan of western movies, particularly 'Silverado', 'Unforgiven', 'Tombstone', and pretty much anything with John Wayne.

My two all time favorite movies are 'Gettysburg' and 'Gods and Generals'. These are the only movies made in the last 30 years that show people on both sides of the Civil War, civilian and military, as People, rather than as stainless heroes fighting unspeakable villains.

Mr. Grant has captured that essence with 'Brings the Lightning'. I've read and liked all of his 'Maxwell' and 'Laredo' series books, but the character development and storytelling here blows those away.

A movie faithful to this book could be in the same class as those greats mentioned above, as long as today's studios can't get their grubby, Politically Correct mitts on it. Maybe Castalia House should see about setting up their own studio or production company.
"The best diplomat I know is a fully charged phaser bank" - Cmdr. Montgomery Scott
Captain Wheelgun's World

toad
On a list somewhere

Postby toad » Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:45 am

I just finished the Kindle version of "Brings the Lightening" myself. The author is supposed to be planning some sequels to it.
I'm also waiting for the third book of his military science fiction series "War to the Knife."

evan price
Trigger Junkie

Postby evan price » Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:06 am

Finished Kim Harrison's Rachel Morgan series.
Started Kelly Gay's Charlie Mardigan series.
In an urban fantasy kick.
Although I'm kind of fed up with the "gritty heroine trying to deal with being a single woman in a supernatural world, and thats why she treats all the other characters like shit and somehow they keep coming back for more."
At least Harry Dresden and the Iron Druid had a little confidence and respect for others.

toad
On a list somewhere

Postby toad » Thu Aug 04, 2016 3:57 am

https://www.amazon.com/Help-God-Few-Marines-Battles-ebook/dp/B01I0H34DY/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1470278744&sr=8-1&keywords=Marines+WWI+wood

One of the things that I found interesting in this book is that the US Marines were regarded as a constabulary force in the late 19th early 20th century.
When first sent to France they acted as provosts for the rest of the US military.
A Brit was quoted prior to WW I, That the 3 best constabulary forces were the Canadian Mounties, The Pennsylvania State Troopers, and the US Marines. Apparently a constabulary force was a police force organized on military line
This could be the reason that there is such a Marine influence in a lot of US police forces.

Weetabix
Active Shooter

Postby Weetabix » Fri Aug 12, 2016 4:04 pm

I decided to read Footfall again last night. I'd given my old copy to my daughter, so a while back she got me another copy at a used book store. She wrote a nice inscription inside the cover.

I was paging through the front pages, and the title page appears to be signed by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle. Don't know if it's real, but it would be cool if it were. I'll have to google their signatures and see if they look right.

ETA: Pics so you know it happened. :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Weetabix on Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Captain Wheelgun
Loose Cannon

Postby Captain Wheelgun » Fri Aug 12, 2016 5:33 pm

I've just started on 'The Killer Angels' by Michael Shaara. For some reason, I have the soundtrack from 'Gettysburg' playing in my mind as I read. :geek:
"The best diplomat I know is a fully charged phaser bank" - Cmdr. Montgomery Scott
Captain Wheelgun's World

dfwmtx
Trigger Junkie

Postby dfwmtx » Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:31 pm

Score! In Denver a couple of weeks ago wife and I found a used bookstore near our hotel. I wasn't specifically looking for the two titles, but I found two out-of-print novels; Katherine Kurz "Lammas Night" and Harry Harrison's "A Rebel in Time". Been wanting to read the former for years.

Durham68
Loose Cannon

Postby Durham68 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:52 pm

First Shirt wrote:Monster Hunter: Grunge a collaboration between John Ringo and Larry Corriea. Not a combination I would have picked, and not entirely sure how it's all going to work out, since the main character is not like any of Larry's previous main characters. But it's fun, so far.

You are being too kind. Ringo's handling of the MHI universe is insufferable, most of all the protagonist. I cannot fathom what possessed Corriea to let Ringo publish this POS. I was looking forward to this so much and now I'm just pissed because there is more of this crap on the way.
"Unattended children will be given an espresso and a puppy"

evan price
Trigger Junkie

Postby evan price » Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:18 am

dfwmtx wrote:Score! In Denver a couple of weeks ago wife and I found a used bookstore near our hotel. I wasn't specifically looking for the two titles, but I found two out-of-print novels; Katherine Kurz "Lammas Night" and Harry Harrison's "A Rebel in Time". Been wanting to read the former for years.

Harry Harrison, great books. An old favorite.

I started Patricia Briggs' "Mercy Thompson" series, and read the first three straight through in three days. Good storyteller, good characters.
Finished Kim Harrison's "Rachel Morgan" series, it was getting stretched by the end but not bad.
Laurell K. Hamilton's "Anita Blake" series, I'm in book eight. She really hit her groove after the divorce, and her discovery of the bdsm world. It's a bit tedious with all the blood and sex but I can cope.
Also Darkship Thieves by Sarah Hoyt was just finished. Interesting SF with a very Ayn Rand meets Heinlien vibe going.

dfwmtx
Trigger Junkie

Postby dfwmtx » Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:38 pm

OK, so "Lammas Night" got dropped in favor of the new Harry Turtledove Hot War novel, "Fallout". Long story short, Truman allowed MacArthur to nuke the Norks and Chinese, and Stalin didn't like it, with nuclear war ensuing. L'chaim!

SoupOrMan

Postby SoupOrMan » Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:28 pm

Currently reading "Fall of the Double Eagle" by John Schindler. It's about the Austro-Hungarian empire in World War I and how the Habsburgs' lazy approach to military affairs led to their ultimate defeat. If you want to understand how a multi-ethnic nation can disappear in a few years, read this. It's worth the $12.99.
Remember, folks, you can't spell "douche" without "Che."

“PET PARENTS?” You’re not a “pet parent.” You’re a pet owner. Unless you’ve committed an unnatural act that succeeded in spite of biology. - Glenn Reynolds

evan price
Trigger Junkie

Postby evan price » Tue Dec 20, 2016 5:00 pm

Patricia Briggs- Alpha and Omega. On book three.
One more Sarah Hoyt.
MZW A Long Time Until Now.
Kelly Armstrong- Women of the Otherworld, first four books. Not bad.

Weetabix
Active Shooter

Postby Weetabix » Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:20 pm

Hm. I haven't posted here in a while, and I'm too lazy to go see what I was reading last time, but here's a recent list.

Undaunted Courage - narrative of the Lewis and Clark Expedition
The Disadvantages of Being Educated and Other Essays, Albert Jay Nock

Heading back into some Heinlein juveniles:
Red Planet
The Star Beast

I'll have to raid my daughter's stash. I gave her most of mine a few years ago.

Darrell

Postby Darrell » Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:18 pm

I took a break from Pratchett's Discworld books, and am presently slogging through Mike Cox's Texas Rangers: Wearing the Cinco Peso, 1821-1900. I started this book after seeing the History Channel mini series on the Texas Rangers a couple of years ago. I found the book rather disappointing--no mention of Deaf Smith at all, a passing reference to Big Foot Wallace, and though the author did mention Billy Dixon and the Battle of Adobe Walls, he never touched on Dixon's 'crack shot' with a .50-90 Sharps rifle, knocking an Indian off his horse at very long range and ending the fight.

I think I'm getting some more Discworld books for Xmas. I'm also thinking of rereading O'Brian's Aubrey/Maturin series.
Eppur si muove--Galileo

randy

Postby randy » Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:35 pm

Monster Hunter Memoirs: Sinners The second Ringo/Correia collaboration. Ringo wrote the stories and Correia edited for continuity with the mainstream MHI series, and toned down some of John's, ah, enthusiasms ;) . I believe the quote was (based on my memory from the website) "John, my kids read these books!"

Fun read so far. Much 80's gun geekdom. Don't think it would stand up as a standalone, but it wasn't intended as such. Set in New Orleans, but I haven't spent enough time there (I think a total of 12 hours) to have a feel for how well he captures the place.

Weetabix
Active Shooter

Postby Weetabix » Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:02 pm

randy wrote:Monster Hunter Memoirs: Sinners The second Ringo/Correia collaboration. Ringo wrote the stories and Correia edited for continuity with the mainstream MHI series, and toned down some of John's, ah, enthusiasms ;) . I believe the quote was (based on my memory from the website) "John, my kids read these books!"

Fun read so far. Much 80's gun geekdom. Don't think it would stand up as a standalone, but it wasn't intended as such. Set in New Orleans, but I haven't spent enough time there (I think a total of 12 hours) to have a feel for how well he captures the place.

Calling Cyberludite for a review!

g-man
Loose Cannon

Postby g-man » Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:30 pm

Read most of Tim Ferriss's '4-hour Workweek', and picked up a number of time-saving techniques which have cost me zero productivity (Check email only twice daily, and get the 1 thing you actually need done before 11am so you're gtg when the day goes sideways after lunch). Started the low/slow carb diet based on some of the stuff in workweek, an have since convinced my best friend to do same. Since he was working off the diet as laid out in Ferriss's '4-hour body', I picked up a copy and devoured all 575 pages (pun intended) in about 3 days. Have lost over 20lbs (and ~5% body fat) since Halloween, and being back at a fighting weight of 185 is not only in the foreseeable future, but in the near term.
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Weetabix
Active Shooter

Postby Weetabix » Wed Dec 21, 2016 12:00 am

I read the 4HWW a few years ago. I kind of liked the DEAL acronym. I've delegated, eliminated, and automated quite a bit and gotten our president on board with a lot of it. It's not all my doing (though I like to think my input contributed quite a bit), but we had pretty substantial bonuses this year.

I'm still working on "location." ;)

ETA: I'm putting that back on the to read stack.

MiddleAgedKen
On a list somewhere

Postby MiddleAgedKen » Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:24 am

Recently finished Hornfischer's Neptune's Inferno and Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors, Vincent O'Hara's On Seas Contested, and Alfred Lansing's Endurance (about the Shackleton expedition). Just started Marcus Aurelius's Meditations (I could use some Stoic philosophy after this semester) and Barbara Tuchman's The Proud Tower.
Watergate didn't have a body count.

Captain Wheelgun
Loose Cannon

Postby Captain Wheelgun » Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:44 pm

I'm starting on David Weber's 'At the Sign of Triumph', the newest book in his Safehold series.
Captain Wheelgun's World

SoupOrMan

Postby SoupOrMan » Thu Dec 29, 2016 1:33 am

Currently reading "Warsaw 1920" by Adam Zamoyski. It's an interesting book about the Polish-Soviet War right after WW1. Lenin wanted to spread Communism by force of arms and the Poles were all "No thank you." So the Poles made the first tactical error of trying to liberate Ukraine without getting permission from the British or French. Then it all went bloody and vicious from there.

It's a good book so far.

“PET PARENTS?” You’re not a “pet parent.” You’re a pet owner. Unless you’ve committed an unnatural act that succeeded in spite of biology. - Glenn Reynolds

Dinochrome One
Case Shiner

Postby Dinochrome One » Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:24 am

Found some vintage Kratman at a used-book store in Rolla; A Desert Called Peace and Carnifex. I'm looking for The Lotus-Eaters and only finding high prices. I'm also looking for the latest Man-Kzin Wars and Bolo books. Niven is still around and letting people play in his universe(s). Keith Laumer is long gone but the Bolos are still soldiering on.
Maxim 34: If you're only leaving scorch-marks, you need a bigger gun.

Rich Jordan
Trigger Junkie

Postby Rich Jordan » Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:05 am

Dinochrome One wrote:FI'm also looking for the latest Man-Kzin Wars and Bolo books. Niven is still around and letting people play in his universe(s). Keith Laumer is long gone but the Bolos are still soldiering on.

I still find myself pulling my Bolo books down every couple of years to reread them (along with some Retief).

But I heard Richard Adams died this week. I think I'm going to reread Watership Down next.

Netpackrat
Probably Unemployed

Postby Netpackrat » Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:30 am

Nearly finished with "The Fabulous Trashwagon" by Burt Levy.

Darrell

Postby Darrell » Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:34 pm

I'm back on Pratchett, presently reading The Wee Free Men. Funny book, rather charming. I got a bunch more of the Discworld books for Xmas.
Eppur si muove--Galileo

HTRN
Probably Unemployed

Postby HTRN » Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:41 am

Dinochrome One wrote:Keith Laumer is long gone but the Bolos are still soldiering on.

I think it works simply because of the unique premise..
EGO partum , proinde EGO sum

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

Rich Jordan
Trigger Junkie

Postby Rich Jordan » Fri Dec 30, 2016 3:17 am

Darrell wrote:I'm back on Pratchett, presently reading The Wee Free Men. Funny book, rather charming. I got a bunch more of the Discworld books for Xmas.

My wife and I rewatch "The Hogfather" every Christmas. And sometimes midyear. It really is a great Christmas story (and the book is even better).

Darrell

Postby Darrell » Fri Dec 30, 2016 5:56 am

Rich Jordan wrote:
Darrell wrote:I'm back on Pratchett, presently reading The Wee Free Men. Funny book, rather charming. I got a bunch more of the Discworld books for Xmas.

My wife and I rewatch "The Hogfather" every Christmas. And sometimes midyear. It really is a great Christmas story (and the book is even better).

I was unaware of its existence on video. I'll have to watch it, thanks.
Eppur si muove--Galileo

Rich Jordan
Trigger Junkie

Postby Rich Jordan » Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:47 am

Darrell wrote:
Rich Jordan wrote:

I was unaware of its existence on video. I'll have to watch it, thanks.

I hope you enjoy it. It has Michelle Dockery in her best role (IMHO)

Weetabix
Active Shooter

Postby Weetabix » Sat Dec 31, 2016 9:46 pm

I'm reading Alan Turing: The Enigma. Just got started, but it looks like it will be good. I hope they focus more on his math than on his orientation.

Dinochrome One wrote:Found some vintage Kratman at a used-book store in Rolla; A Desert Called Peace...

That was a good one, as I recall.

dfwmtx
Trigger Junkie

Postby dfwmtx » Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:44 am

Finished John Ringo's 2nd Monster Hunter Memoirs book this morning. On to the latest Jack Reacher novel. After that, I'm going to take some books I bought in Dec. out of hiding (wasn't supposed to by my self things for Christmas, but I did). Bunch of Icelandic stuff, "The Good Shepherd", a play about the outlaw Fjalla-Evyndur and Halla, and some more Gunnar Gununarson "THe Sworn Brothers".

Jered

Postby Jered » Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:04 am

Dinochrome One wrote:Found some vintage Kratman at a used-book store in Rolla; A Desert Called Peace and Carnifex.

You can find The Lotus Eaters on Amazon for $4.40 shipped.
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.

Dinochrome One
Case Shiner

Postby Dinochrome One » Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:10 am

Jered wrote:
Dinochrome One wrote:Found some vintage Kratman at a used-book store in Rolla; A Desert Called Peace and Carnifex.

You can find The Lotus Eaters on Amazon for $4.40 shipped.

Thanks! However, I found The Lotus Eaters, Come And Take Them, and Rod and Axes on Ebay for about that price. I should have them by the end of the week.
Maxim 34: If you're only leaving scorch-marks, you need a bigger gun.

Cybrludite
Active Shooter

Postby Cybrludite » Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:06 am

Weetabix wrote:
randy wrote:Monster Hunter Memoirs: Sinners The second Ringo/Correia collaboration. Ringo wrote the stories and Correia edited for continuity with the mainstream MHI series, and toned down some of John's, ah, enthusiasms ;) . I believe the quote was (based on my memory from the website) "John, my kids read these books!"

Calling Cyberludite for a review!

He gets a few things wrong. Metairie is unincorporated, so we have Jefferson Parish deputies, rather than "Metairie cops", and the airport was still named Moisant until they changed it to Louis Armstrong in 2001. It was much fairer to the locals than the snippits he posted to Facebook made it seem it would be. Not sure if my kvetching on the subject nudged things in that direction or not. I got redshirtted as the Elysian Fields Hoodoo Squad guy in the recruiting scene. (And I plan on putting together that outfit for LibertyCon this year... :twisted: )

Oh, and as a local, the Audible version has me grinding my teeth.
"If it ain't the Devil's Music, you ain't doin' it right." - Chris Thomas King

"When liberal democracies collapse, someone comes along who promises to make the trains run on time if we load the right people into them." - Tam K.

SoupOrMan

Postby SoupOrMan » Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:59 am

Weetabix wrote:Oh, John Ringo, no! :lol:

I have to work a reference to this phrase in a story.

SoupOrMan

Postby SoupOrMan » Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:02 am

Just finished "The Scarlet Pimpernel" by Baroness Orczy. While not as slapstick as Warner Brothers' "The Scarlet Pumpernickel" it was a fun read and I think I'm going to look for the rest of the series.

Greg
Probably Unemployed

Postby Greg » Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:22 pm

Working through the Black Company series again. I skipped one the first time around.

Read the first 3 (4th one is due out any minute) Caine books by Rich Gannon. They're surprisingly good, much better than I expected.

Read the first Jao Empire book by KD Wentworth and Eric Flint. Liked it a great deal, will have to read the others. Was sorry to learn that Wentworth passed away recently, and her role in the series was handed on to someone else.

Partway through Niall Ferguson's 'The Ascent of Money'.

Reading David Friedman's 'The Machinery of Freedom'. Well it's interesting certainly, but it kind of breaks down when it comes to law enforcement (AnCaps fundamentally can't seem to come up with an internally consistent system capable of *punishment*, which to my mind is a disqualifying flaw) and I just can't get through the section on national defense.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr

Steamforger
On a list somewhere

Postby Steamforger » Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:31 pm

Cybrludite wrote:

Like Kevin Costner in JFK bad???

Weetabix
Active Shooter

Postby Weetabix » Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:18 pm

Clear and Present Danger

HTRN
Probably Unemployed

Postby HTRN » Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:40 pm

dfwmtx wrote:"The Peshawar Lancers", which I haven't read since college.

Go read "2025 USA ISOTed to Peshawar Universe" on alternatehistory.com, you'll have to sign up though.
EGO partum , proinde EGO sum

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

evan price
Trigger Junkie

Postby evan price » Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:45 pm

Spenser books. So many...

Cybrludite
Active Shooter

Postby Cybrludite » Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:53 am

Steamforger wrote:
Cybrludite wrote:

Like Kevin Costner in JFK bad???

Worse. Pronouncing "fais do do" as "fay doo doo".
"If it ain't the Devil's Music, you ain't doin' it right." - Chris Thomas King

"When liberal democracies collapse, someone comes along who promises to make the trains run on time if we load the right people into them." - Tam K.

Netpackrat
Probably Unemployed

Postby Netpackrat » Wed May 17, 2017 6:34 am

Langenator
Loose Cannon

Postby Langenator » Thu May 18, 2017 11:37 am

On the fiction side, The Empire's Corps by Christopher G. Nutall.

Non-fiction, Military Effectiveness, vol II: The Interwar Years by Allen Millett and Williamson Murray (eds). Continuing to grind my way slowly through the Duke PhD military history reading list.
Fortuna Fortis Paratus

Vonz90
On a list somewhere

Postby Vonz90 » Thu May 18, 2017 7:58 pm

World Class Quality by Kiki Bhote - finished reading it for some training I am going to be doing at work (I am the trainer). Good book in general, typical consultant "my stuff works great and everyone else is an idiot" stuff but the principles and tools he works through are practical and well thought out. It is a variation of the Shainin / Red-X method. It is a good potential alternate tool set vs Lean / Lean-6 Sigma or DFSS tool sets (which are also good, but have their limitations).

MiddleAgedKen
On a list somewhere

Postby MiddleAgedKen » Thu May 18, 2017 10:45 pm

Vonz, I'm looking at a book called On Time and In Full from Productivity Press. I talk about delivery performance a lot in my B2B marketing and CRM courses. I may grab it. If it's good I'll let you know.

Just finished Ambrose's Citizen Soldiers and Sarah Hoyt's Darkship Thieves, and have started volume 2 of The Gulag Archipelago.
Watergate didn't have a body count.

Return to “Culture Junkies”