Are You Ready For Some Football?

Everything cultural, pop or otherwise. Books, movies, music, comics, poetry, random cultural geekery.
MarkD

Re: Are You Ready For Some Football?

Post by MarkD »

Greg wrote:
Vonz90 wrote: I kind of miss hating the Mets. The pennant races between the Cards and the Mets in the mid-80's were epic.
They were.
That rivalry has faded now that we are in different divisions. Of course the Mets are still pond scum.
The worst cokehead pond scum on the 80's Met pennant race teams was a former Card. :lol:
It was a member of the 1986 Mets, Dwight Gooden, who convinced me to buy my Mustang in 1989. Florida Highway Patrol uses Mustangs as chase cars. Doc was driving his Jaguar at 120 mph, a cop was going 60 mph THE OTHER WAY, turned around and caught him.
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

Greg wrote:
Vonz90 wrote: I kind of miss hating the Mets. The pennant races between the Cards and the Mets in the mid-80's were epic.
They were.
That rivalry has faded now that we are in different divisions. Of course the Mets are still pond scum.
The worst cokehead pond scum on the 80's Met pennant race teams was a former Card. :lol:
I think Strawberry has that title, but KH was traded below market by the Cards specifically because they suspected (or knew) he was a tweeker. Buyer beware and all that. He fit in with the Mets (and did help you win the title in '86)
John_in_Longview

Post by John_in_Longview »

Back on topic....

College
Baylor win: Sic'Em!
Bonus joy for smacking University of Texas around on their own turf.
More bonus joy for seeing several teams ahead of Baylor in the AP poll lose, including that traitorous school in College Station.

Pros:
The city of Houston suffers from the greatest sense of municipal penis envy of any locality in the great state of Texas. The Facebook servers would have melted down due to fans posting images of JJ Watts if the Texans had won. Fortunately for their admins, Romo juked him in the backfield and threw a touchdown to former Baylor star Terrance Williams.
MarkD

Post by MarkD »

And in other NFL news, the Jets treated me to one of the worst-played games I've EVER seen (and as a long time Jets fan, that's saying a whole lot). When your offense doesn't get on the far side of the 50 yard line until halfway thru the fourth quarter you've got serious issues.

OTOH, my pick in the survivor pool (Nawlins) won, so I'm still alive there.
PawPaw

Post by PawPaw »

I see where one of Sean Peyton's receivers made a crack about Peyton's age. (Something about leather helmets) Peyton is telling everyone to not start that guy in their fantasy team this week, because he won't see a football in the next game. No passes for the wise-guy.

Heh. Watch out talking about old guys. We'll hurt ya.
Dennis Dezendorf
PawPaw's House