I just got a new computer

Discussion of all things technological and/or gadgety
Jered

I just got a new computer

Post by Jered »

It's a Dell with Vista.
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
randy

Re: I just got a new computer

Post by randy »

Jered wrote:It's a Dell with Vista.
I'm sorry.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Erik

Post by Erik »

randy wrote:I'm sorry.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I actually have a Dell myself, but I have so far escaped Vista.
I'm thinking Linux might be the way to go after this.... But I'm told Amazon still has XP for sale..
"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid."
John Wayne
Jered

Post by Jered »

randy wrote:
I'm sorry.
I'm sorry too.
[/Han Solo]

I'm posting from my laptop with XP.
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
clyde621

Post by clyde621 »

My son has been trying to get me to convert to Mac. He has been using one since his college days. Uses windows from time to time but loves his mac.
Behind the ostensible government sits enthroned an invisible government owing no allegiance and acknowledging no responsibility to the people.
Theodore Roosevelt
Rod

Post by Rod »

Since this is a computer thread I'll throw this out here. Wife's old laptop had someone or something step on it. The lcd was grey with what looked like break lines all through it. We went to the PX and bought her a new computer last week. Yesterday, a friend spilled a cup of coffee while sitting in my lounger and my wife's computer was in her bag beside the chair. I used a hair dryer yesterday to try drying it out but the screen just shows a light grey with lots of different colored, very light lines through it. Call HP or the credit card company or is there anything else to do? I know what it costs in parts and labor nowadays to fix a laptop and it's just about easier and cheaper to buy a new computer.
one can be a Democrat, or one can choose to be an American.
Good acting requires an imagination; reality requires a person not getting lost in their imagination.
"It's better to have a gun if you need it". Felix's opthamologist
308Mike

Post by 308Mike »

Rod - is the laptop doing anything? Is the hard drive flickering, does it go through it's usual beeps?

Try hooking up a monitor to the back of it and see what you get on the display. You might have to toggle through the display/monitor function keys a few times to get it to come up on the CRT screen. Look for the Fn key (the text is usually in a different color than the rest of the keyboard), and find the LCD/CRT F-key On the Dell on my desk, it's on the F8 key, on a Compaq nearby, it's on the F4 key.

It wouldn't be the first time I've setup a laptop as a desktop with external monitor, keyboard, speakers and mouse due to a broken screen.

The spilled coffee might be another story. Did the coffee have cream and sugar too? Did the coffee get inside the computer?
POLITICIANS & DIAPERS NEED TO BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON

A person properly schooled in right and wrong is safe with any weapon. A person with no idea of good and evil is unsafe with a knitting needle, or the cap from a ballpoint pen.

I remain pessimistic given the way BATF and the anti gun crowd have become tape worms in the guts of the Republic. - toad
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Anybody wanna buy me a new "computer" :mrgreen:

HTRN
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Rod

Post by Rod »

308Mike wrote:
The spilled coffee might be another story. Did the coffee have cream and sugar too? Did the coffee get inside the computer?
Black coffee, it might have gotten in but I'm not sure. He cleaned up the computer before I saw it but he said some got on the keys.

Wife doesn't want a desktop, she already has a nice one. Beginning to think she doesn't WANT a laptop any more.
one can be a Democrat, or one can choose to be an American.
Good acting requires an imagination; reality requires a person not getting lost in their imagination.
"It's better to have a gun if you need it". Felix's opthamologist
308Mike

Post by 308Mike »

Yeah, but if the LCD is broken, by the time you work out the cost, it might not be worth replacing it. Putting it on a regular monitor to test it will give you more of an indication about the rest of the machine too (see if everything else is working but the screen.
POLITICIANS & DIAPERS NEED TO BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON

A person properly schooled in right and wrong is safe with any weapon. A person with no idea of good and evil is unsafe with a knitting needle, or the cap from a ballpoint pen.

I remain pessimistic given the way BATF and the anti gun crowd have become tape worms in the guts of the Republic. - toad