Might buy a ‘74 VW Beetle, Bad idea?

Discussion of all things technological and/or gadgety
Captain Wheelgun

Might buy a ‘74 VW Beetle, Bad idea?

Post by Captain Wheelgun »

One of my Dad’s neighbors is selling a 1974 VW Beetle, and I’m thinking about buying it. Been looking for a 2nd car, something with better gas mileage than my truck. Looking for a driver, not a project.

This one seems to be in good condition overall, but I’ll be taking a closer look at it this coming weekend.

Any VW owners here that might have advice?
"What is this, the Congress Avenue Independence Day Parade?" - Capt. Karl von Stahlberg, RTN
Republic of Texas Navy Archives
Precision

Re: Might buy a ‘74 VW Beetle, Bad idea?

Post by Precision »

I have been considering buying a VW Beetle specifically as a project car. They are HUGELY easy to work on / fix / modify and they are super fun to drive. Also thinking about it as a taunt for the sociopath 17 year old who is too lazy to get a job --remainder redacted
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

You're talking about a 1940s design car built with 1930s technology. No matter how reliable it may have been considered in its day, I would expect it to fall far short of what we would consider reliable today, without even taking into account its age. Let alone safety standards weren't really a thing when it was designed.

Now if what you really want is a hobby car, that's another matter entirely.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Cobar

Post by Cobar »

I don't know the particulars on beetles, though I have heard they are easy to work on. I guess they might be popular enough to get parts for relatively easily. Anything that old is going to become a project if it is driven regularly.
MiddleAgedKen

Post by MiddleAgedKen »

Parts availability (especially drive train & suspension) probably not a major issue, considering the continuing popularity of old Beetles along with Formula Vee.
Shop at Traitor Joe's: Just 10% to the Big Guy gets you the whole store and everything in it!
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Captain Wheelgun wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 6:40 pmLooking for a driver, not a project.
Then buy the newest model Corolla with the lowest mileage you can afford. My early 2000s Corolla got 40+ mpg on the highway, cost me just over a grand, and only had a100k on the odometer. Admittedly that was like 5 years ago, but I still found this with 30 seconds of searching:
https://cnj.craigslist.org/cto/d/bridge ... 98080.html
Last edited by HTRN on Sat Sep 09, 2023 5:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Windy Wilson

Post by Windy Wilson »

Beetle (and all the variants) parts are still available. I do not think they are OEM, but are made by third parties.
I agree with HTRN. Buy the newest Toyota Corolla (or whatever the Mazda equivalent) you can afford, is good advice. You will benefit from the decades of development in safety, reliability, and MTBF.
I have driven VW (wasserpumpers) since 1983, so I like them. My 1983 Jetta had water pump problems for a while, but nothing like that in the 2005 Passat. Newer tends to be better.
The use of the word "but" usually indicates that everything preceding it in a sentence is a lie.
E.g.:
"I believe in Freedom of Speech, but". . .
"I support the Second Amendment, but". . .
--Randy
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

Definitely a bad idea. Definitely something I would do. :)
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Windy Wilson wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 6:55 pm My 1983 Jetta had water pump problems for a while, but nothing like that in the 2005 Passat. Newer tends to be better.
Never buy any car made in Europe that isn't covered under warranty..
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt