TV "sticks" and tricks

Discussion of all things technological and/or gadgety
blackeagle603

TV "sticks" and tricks

Post by blackeagle603 »

Ok, so I've become a bit of a TV tech laggard. Cut the cable and pretty much stuck at Roku or embedded TV apps like Samsung SmartTV with connect to my Wi-Fi.

So hoping some of you can school me on this new generation of internet TV devices and how to minimize some costs.

This is the fault of an older gentleman who I respect greatly and who thinks of me as some sort of techbrain comes to me with a question last night that I've got no idea. So, that's what I told him,
"I've got no idea." /heh/ "But hey, great to hear from you at this crazy hour of night you wonderful old insomniac news watching junkie."
No sense trying to cover up my cluelessness. But now he's got me looking at KlowdTV and thinking about finding what is the same (lowest cost) solution.

So here's the question he put to me:
"I need some help. I have a hair brain idea. I want to get a tv tuner box or stick I can hook to internet and stream a number of channels to my tv. I own KlowdTV and want to cover sending without paying Apple or others. p.s. Can find of Amazon but don't know if it will work.
This is the classic well off elderly guy who got there thru thrift, hard work and risking his capital to reinvest in his business while having his family actually live inside the factory and cook in the lab when they were starting out. He works as hard spending a dime as he does earning a dollar. I think this is another case of that sort of thrift habit. Like I said, I respect him greatly and that's just one of the reasons -- not to mention how he treats his people.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
Weetabix

Re: TV "sticks" and tricks

Post by Weetabix »

A friend just mentioned that his son had put together something on Raspberry Pi that could stream basically anything from anywhere. Maybe that's an avenue to pursue?
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
randy

Post by randy »

I've had Chromecast on both TV's for a couple of years or so. CINCHOUSE and Darlin' Daughter use it all the time to stream Net Flix and YouTube to them over our WiFi from their phones or laptop and no complaints.

I think this will do what he is asking , but am not familiar with KlowdTV.

At $35 to purchase the dongle and no user fees, (except for paying whatever you need to access the source material, if anything) it's not much of a risk to try it.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

I think now he may be looking for a way to take that stream from his internet/pc connection and broadcast it inside his house as a TV signal.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

https://www.klowdtv.com/packages.ktv

Owned now by OANN. Free news stream from OANN for military serving abroad.

The $7.95 package which includes GolTV and some news channels could be a killer app.

BDK

Post by BDK »

blackeagle603 wrote:I think now he may be looking for a way to take that stream from his internet/pc connection and broadcast it inside his house as a TV signal.
Why broadcast it rather than send it through a wire or wifi?

Broadcast spectrum is leased from the FCC. My guess is there might be "some" issues
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

That was my question but I think it came back to thriftiness.

Save buying a stick, dongle or Roku for every TV in a large house that doesn't have embedded Wi-Fi?

randy

Post by randy »

legal issues aside, my knowledge of low power TV transmission is that there would be no cost savings over buying a Chromecast or equivalent for each TV.

You could do it with amateur gear, but would need an Amateur radio license and the equipment would be well over $1K, with several hundred dollars of equipment at each receiver. It would be analog, not digital. And then there's the legal issues of broadcasting commercial (as in you paid for it regardless of the content) over amateur frequencies. As in No Fricking Way.

Commercial gear would be even more expensive, and we're back to the licensing thing again.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Greg

Post by Greg »

He could put his signal on a wire instead of broadcasting. Coax. CCTV.

There are filters and such that would let you take input and put it out on some given channel.

I looked into that stuff once some time ago.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

No mention of Kodi? I'm surprised. :ugeek:
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt