Help with an electrical diagram?

Discussion of all things technological and/or gadgety
TheArmsman

Help with an electrical diagram?

Post by TheArmsman »

Are there any electrical engineers here? I have an idea of what I want to do, but do not know enough to not know what I need to understand.

Basically, this is what I would like to build.

I have a disappearing fountain in my front yard. Would like to add a light that turns on at the same time the fountain is on, to illuminate the water as it spouts from the top. As this type of fountain can waste a lot of water in a high wind, would like to add a wind sensor to the circuit, to shut off the power for a determined amount of time once the wind reaches a certain threshold. Would also like for this to be on a timer so it turns on and off when wanted.

Would also like to add 2 110v outdoor outlets each on their own timer, to this as well, to be used for front yard ornaments/lighting during the holidays.

This would be hooked directly into the main junction box, with its own 30amp switch.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
When death is inevitable, style counts.

Survival trumps programming.
evan price

Re: Help with an electrical diagram?

Post by evan price »

If you want your 120v receptacles to be independently timed from the fountain you'll need two timers.
The receptacles just need a time switch. Commercially available easily. I know the big box home improvement stores sell them; I've used water heater timer units to switch 240v signs and such. They also sell receptacle assemblies with built in timers that replace a standard receptacle.

The fountain circuit: start with a timer so that if it's not time nothing runs. Then put your wind sensor driving a time delay relay to switch your fountain pump and light off as needed.
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc

http://ohioccwforums.org/
Ohioans for Concealed Carry:THE source for Ohio CCW information and discussion!
Darrell

Post by Darrell »

Doesn't Tucson have a light pollution ordinance? You might run afoul of it with your light shining up into the sky.
Eppur si muove--Galileo
slowpoke

Post by slowpoke »

Controller and relays or outlet switches. Old school X10 modules can be good for these types of projects if you dont wire and solder.

If it was me I would use an arduino and relays for the outpots, then one of its a/d inputs for the anometer.
The arduino controller outputs would switch the relays for the 110v supplies.

Any way you do it will likely require some programming unless you want to play with analog controls and electronics to deal with the wind speed/anometer.
"Islam delenda est" Aesop
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Also, don't forget to put GFCI on everything since it's outside.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
TheArmsman

Post by TheArmsman »

Thanks for the tips.

Appreciate it.
When death is inevitable, style counts.

Survival trumps programming.