Car Problem

Discussion of all things technological and/or gadgety
Jered

Car Problem

Post by Jered »

So, if anyone hasn't heard, I've just moved to Montana. I bought a house in Havre, and like it so far.

Had a bit of car trouble getting there, though. It turns out that my Dodge Ram 1500 ST does not like the cold.

So, yesterday, I tried to start up my truck, and it goes "Click." Nothing else happens. I call AAA, get a tow because the mechanic in Great Falls thought it was the starter. So, they put a new battery in my truck. It starts and runs just fine, and I go back to the hotel. It sits overnight in the cold, and won't start in the morning. We called AAA again, and the same mechanic took it over too their shop, put a charger on it for 5 minutes, and it started fine.

I've never had this issue before, so, I suspect that it was something liquid in the engine that froze.

It got down below 0 in Great Falls for both nights.
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
Steamforger

Re: Car Problem

Post by Steamforger »

Have them install a block heater.
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

A modern fuel injected gasoline powered vehicle should still start in the cold without all the heaters, particularly if the battery is new. My first step would be to look for corrosion at the battery cable terminals... That could add enough resistance to make cold starting a problem, but would not be as noticeable at more normal ambient temps, or once the vehicle is warmed.

That said, the heaters are a good idea. Block heater (or coolant circulating heater) is the minimum; for long term use in cold temperatures an oil pan heater and battery heater will help a lot.

Edit to add; yeah, you could have water in the fuel system. If the mechanic is bringing it into a heated shop to do the work, then that might be enough to get it flowing again. Towing the vehicle could also be enough to dislodge a blockage.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Jered

Post by Jered »

I was thinking water in the fuel system, too.

I left the heat on in my garage, so, I'll see if it starts up tomorrow.

I put in some fuel additives that are supposed to clean out the water and gunk, too. I'll see if that helps.

I already had a block heater installed in my Forester, so, having one in my truck is also on my list.
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Netpackrat wrote:That said, the heaters are a good idea. Block heater (or coolant circulating heater) is the minimum; for long term use in cold temperatures an oil pan heater and battery heater will help a lot.
I second these suggestions. I had all of them on all of my cars in Fairbanks, and no cold related problems down to about -50F.

If you don't like putting those on, you can do what my BIL and I did once: put sleeping bags over the hood down to within 6" of the ground and shove a camp stove under there. It will start in a half an hour or so. Just do it outside and don't light the block on fire. :D
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
randy

Post by randy »

Weetabix wrote: put sleeping bags over the hood down to within 6" of the ground and shove a camp stove under there. It will start in a half an hour or so. Just do it outside and don't light the block on fire. :D
Back in the 80's, some of the Intel shops used to have pool every winter of how many tanks the Soviets would lose through crewmen using similar methods to warm up their engines. :twisted:
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
JustinR

Post by JustinR »

Jered wrote:So, if anyone hasn't heard, I've just moved to Montana. I bought a house in Havre, and like it so far.

Had a bit of car trouble getting there, though. It turns out that my Dodge Ram 1500 ST does not like the cold.
I suspect you're joking here, but most vehicles will do fine in the cold. Having lived in Montana and North Dakota, there are a few things you can do to increase reliability however. All of the Autozone/Oreilly's shops up there will sell antifreeze coolant rated much colder than southern states. If you don't remember what's in your engine right now, that might be worth changing out so your coolant doesn't freeze in -40 temps. That still wouldn't cause the symptoms you describe however. In addition, an oil change with a thinner viscosity of oil for the temps as outlined in the owners manual would probably be in order.
So, yesterday, I tried to start up my truck, and it goes "Click." Nothing else happens. I call AAA, get a tow because the mechanic in Great Falls thought it was the starter. So, they put a new battery in my truck. It starts and runs just fine, and I go back to the hotel. It sits overnight in the cold, and won't start in the morning. We called AAA again, and the same mechanic took it over too their shop, put a charger on it for 5 minutes, and it started fine.

I've never had this issue before, so, I suspect that it was something liquid in the engine that froze.

It got down below 0 in Great Falls for both nights.
It's always possible you filled up with some contaminated fuel. A brand new battery shouldn't be the problem, but it's always a possibility. If it was my vehicle, in order I would suspect the battery, alternator not charging the battery, starter, and then something else. If the shop didn't also test the alternator with the truck running, then they're just being lazy. Autozone/Oreilly's will test alternators on the vehicle for free.

Usually when the starter only goes "click" it's because it isn't getting enough cranking amps from the battery. The starter *might* be bad, but that's not nearly as common. A weakened battery along with a very cold engine and overly viscous oil *might* be enough to cause a good starter to be unable to turn the engine. The first year I was in Grand Forks, for one week the temps in the daytime didn't get above -40, and half the car batteries in the city froze, so that is possible if it gets that cold. I bought a magnetic oil pan plug-in heater after that to keep the engine warm enough to start easily, and that worked well. As NPR says there are block heaters and others available.

Just don't do what one of my friends did and drill through the cylinder wall of the engine block while attempting to save a few dollars by doing it himself.
"The armory was even better. Above the door was a sign: You dream, we build." -Mark Owen, No Easy Day

"My assault weapon won't be 'illegal,' it will be 'undocumented.'" -KL
Jered

Post by Jered »

I wasn't being sarcastic.

I've had no problems with that truck until I came over here, and it got really cold.
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

in the meantime a drop light or two under the hood and night will do wonders (at least down to a point in temps). Add a drape of drop cloth or tarp over the hood with that and tuck it in for the night can make a big difference in cold start cranking.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

randy wrote:
Weetabix wrote: put sleeping bags over the hood down to within 6" of the ground and shove a camp stove under there. It will start in a half an hour or so. Just do it outside and don't light the block on fire. :D
Back in the 80's, some of the Intel shops used to have pool every winter of how many tanks the Soviets would lose through crewmen using similar methods to warm up their engines. :twisted:
Yeah, it's a good way to find out if you have any fuel or oil leaks.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop