Riding mowers

Discussion of all things technological and/or gadgety
Langenator

Riding mowers

Post by Langenator »

I just bought a home with enough grass that I need a riding mower. Probably going to go with a traditional vice a zero-turn type.

Looking for recommendations for makes/models that are good, and ones to avoid.
Fortuna Fortis Paratus
Cobar

Re: Riding mowers

Post by Cobar »

I can't speak for mower brands but I've had good luck with briggs and stratton engines.

I have a grasshopper zero-turn that was left with the house. Never did get the transmissions to work but the engine still works when I turn it over now and then. Have a Murry, I think, conventional riding mower. It's OK I guess, never had a problem with it. It has another B&S motor.
PawPaw

Post by PawPaw »

The brand really doesn't matter. Most of them are made by MTD, a factory that makes a lot of riding mowers and re-brands them. My current one is a Sears/Craftsman, and I believe that it is an MTD. Years ago, MTD stood for Montgomery Tool and Die, but nowadays, I think that it's just a name of a factory that makes mowers. (If anyone has any info, I can be corrected).

As long as it has a Briggs and Stratton or Kohler engine, you're golden. My last mower lasted ten years with a 2-cylineer Kohler. It finally went away when the bed rusted out. The engine is still running at my son't place on another mower.
Dennis Dezendorf
PawPaw's House
JustinR

Post by JustinR »

I strongly suggest you stay away from the MTD branded mowers, especially Troy Bilt. Although the engine is fine since it's a B+S, the rest of the mower is an engineering nightmare, and a serious headache for what should be routine maintenance and use. Changing the deck belt, which burns up far too frequently, is frustrating and time consuming. In contrast, the Husqvarna riding mower my MIL has is not only solidly built and reliable, but the deck was clearly engineered with ease of end user maintenance in mind. Buy a Husqvarna and be done with it is my suggestion.
"The armory was even better. Above the door was a sign: You dream, we build." -Mark Owen, No Easy Day

"My assault weapon won't be 'illegal,' it will be 'undocumented.'" -KL
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

JustinR wrote: Buy a Husqvarna and be done with it is my suggestion.
Yeah, what he said! If The Boss can't tear one up, it can't be torn up. (She does the big stuff with the rider, I get the fiddly bits with a push mower or weed whacker.)
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
randy

Post by randy »

I grew up in John Deere country. Manufactured 30 miles in one direction and 60 in the other. My observations were all of the big stuff. How do their riding mowers stack up? Always said if I get a house with a lawn big enough a Deere was the next purchase.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
evan price

Post by evan price »

JustinR wrote:I strongly suggest you stay away from the MTD branded mowers, especially Troy Bilt. Although the engine is fine since it's a B+S, the rest of the mower is an engineering nightmare, and a serious headache for what should be routine maintenance and use. Changing the deck belt, which burns up far too frequently, is frustrating and time consuming. In contrast, the Husqvarna riding mower my MIL has is not only solidly built and reliable, but the deck was clearly engineered with ease of end user maintenance in mind. Buy a Husqvarna and be done with it is my suggestion.
There is MTD and there is AYP. Mtd makes cub cadet, and a lot of other brands. Ayp makes craftsman and until recently husqvarna. Husqvarna spun off as HOP, but they still are AYP derived.
Anything big box is the same one or the other.
At least ayp &.mtd parts are common and cheap.
I prefer cast iron front axles and greaseable bearings, briggs motors or tecumseh. Kohler was good but the newer ones aren't as good, and honda twins are right out as are kawasaki.
Buy the cheapest version with good features.
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc

http://ohioccwforums.org/
Ohioans for Concealed Carry:THE source for Ohio CCW information and discussion!
BDK

Post by BDK »

Baby doll sheep
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

BDK wrote:Baby doll sheep
:shock: You know, you aren't supposed to ride those... Or is it an aggie thing?
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
BDK

Post by BDK »

I suspected there'd be some type of peanut gallery comment. But they are pretty much the original "intelligent" lawn mower. I think... I forget some kind of geese need to be put W them to get it all down.

Anyway, they fertilize, mow and produce lamb chops at the same time.