F**king Scammers!

Discussion of all things technological and/or gadgety
MarkD

Re: F**king Scammers!

Post by MarkD »

You know, my FB rant turned into something of a shitstorm, with a couple people thinking I was too harsh in my suggested punishment for "just an unwanted phone call". Because after all, he didn't actually GET access to my computer.

But he tried, and no doubt succeeded in other cases, like perhaps an old woman who knows just enough about computers to see her grandchildren't pictures of Bookface, and who wound up getting her bank account emptied because her now-deceased husband used the computer to do their banking.

Then it occurred to me. I've been using computers, professionally, academically and personally, since the early 1980s. Those of us who use objects in a legal, moral and responsible manner, be they computers, guns, motorcycles, sports cars, private aircraft, booze, etc etc etc tend to take a dim view of people who use them for illegal/unsafe/immoral/irresponsible purposes, and we also tend to want such people dealt with harshly. I already have to take steps to keep viruses and malware off my computer, which costs me money, time, and processing capability. Just like I have to jump thru hoops to buy a gun or show my id to buy a bottle of scotch even though I'm OBVIOUSLY over 21, just because some people use those items in an improper manner.

So fuck it. I'm harsh, and I'll remain harsh.
Rod

Post by Rod »

I usually just ask them (male or female) if their mothers know they're whores. Wife tells them she's a rep of Save the Coyotes and wonders how much they want to contribute. Other suggestions:
El Paso Police Department Fraud Division, Detective Garcia
Hello, you're on the air
Hello, you're the fifth caller. You're entered in the Great Caribbean Giveaway. Name and number
Wow, what a coincidence, I'm two phones down from you.
one can be a Democrat, or one can choose to be an American.
Good acting requires an imagination; reality requires a person not getting lost in their imagination.
"It's better to have a gun if you need it". Felix's opthamologist
slowpoke

Post by slowpoke »

Rich wrote:Need to find someone with the programming chops to write a 'Eliza" for these situations. Primary purpose would be to keep the culprit on line, and secondary would be to make the culprit lose their temper.
Its Lenny script for asterisk is what you seek. The best ones get posted online for our amusement too.
"Islam delenda est" Aesop
Gunnuts

Post by Gunnuts »

MarkD wrote:
Weetabix wrote:
Rich wrote:Need to find someone with the programming chops to write a 'Eliza" for these situations. Primary purpose would be to keep the culprit on line, and secondary would be to make the culprit lose their temper.
I remember Eliza! It ran on a TRS-80 and loaded from a cassette deck. It was actually pretty fun. Is it still around anywhere?
Me too! I had. Trash-80 model 3.
Here's a site. I get java warnings in my browser though, so proceed with caution. ;)

Eliza webpage

Oh, yeah....I'd execute the guy for stealing my drill, too. Scammer? Then its time to get medieval. :twisted:
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Rod wrote:I usually just ask them (male or female) if their mothers know they're whores. Wife tells them she's a rep of Save the Coyotes and wonders how much they want to contribute. Other suggestions:
El Paso Police Department Fraud Division, Detective Garcia
Hello, you're on the air
Hello, you're the fifth caller. You're entered in the Great Caribbean Giveaway. Name and number
Wow, what a coincidence, I'm two phones down from you.
counterscam. Tell 'em you're an American prince, looking to move money to Nigeria from American banks, and you'll gladly pay for their assistance. :twisted:
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
rightisright

Post by rightisright »

MarkD wrote:
But he tried, and no doubt succeeded in other cases, like perhaps an old woman who knows just enough about computers to see her grandchildren't pictures of Bookface, and who wound up getting her bank account emptied because her now-deceased husband used the computer to do their banking.
This.

My parents are getting up in years. Thankfully, they still have all their mental faculties and could easily sniff out a scammer. But I have a friend whose father is in the beginning stages of dementia and he got scammed for tens of thousands of dollars before my friend found out and disconnected the phone, shut bank account, froze credit reports, etc. So, yeah. Fuck these pieces of shit sideways. :x
Glenmorangie

Post by Glenmorangie »

MiddleAgedKen

Post by MiddleAgedKen »

My wife got a call about her "grant application" once. After about half an hour the guy was reduced to spluttering, "I'm from de fokking goberment!" :lol:
Shop at Traitor Joe's: Just 10% to the Big Guy gets you the whole store and everything in it!