Which antivirus program do you use?

Discussion of all things technological and/or gadgety
Odahi

Which antivirus program do you use?

Post by Odahi »

My subscription is about to run out, I'm looking for something for three to five machines. So I either have to get two 3-machine licenses, or a five. I have the desktop, two laptops, and a tablet. Also, am I being stupid/wasting money to extend the antivirus onto my Android phone? I'd like to avoid spending big money, but I don't insist it be free. In truth, I kind of think "Anything free is worth what you pay for it." I have a lot of stuff on my machines, I want to do the best I can to protect them. I've been using Trend's stuff, but have been less than impressed with its hogging of resources of late. Thanks in advance for your help!
Birds gotta swim, fish gotta fly, assholes gotta ass, until the day they die.

"Common sense" is an oxymoron.
rightisright

Re: Which antivirus program do you use?

Post by rightisright »

I've been using Norton for the past several years. Some claim it's a resource hog. As I am not a power user, I don't really know or care about that. What I do know is all my machines have not had problem since I started using it. I also use the free versions of Malwarebytes and Adaware. Like I said, I am not a power user so YMMV.
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Mac OSX
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
MiddleAgedKen

Post by MiddleAgedKen »

Avast free version (nagware -- annoying but manageable) and Malwarebytes.
Shop at Traitor Joe's: Just 10% to the Big Guy gets you the whole store and everything in it!
slowpoke

Post by slowpoke »

clamav
"Islam delenda est" Aesop
Denis

Post by Denis »

Linux Mint
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

rightisright wrote:I've been using Norton for the past several years. Some claim it's a resource hog.
It is. It also does middle of the road performance in terms of virus detection and removal.
MiddleAgedKen wrote:Avast free version (nagware -- annoying but manageable) and Malwarebytes.
This.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
JustinR

Post by JustinR »

I use the free version of AVG antivirus, and the paid version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware program that includes real-time protection.

AVG consistently gets good reviews of its detection rates and does not bog my system down. Malwarebytes software I have used in the past to remove some nasties that other anti-viruses wouldn't even detect. With the rise of ransomware, I finally sprung for a two-copy license for myself and my parents, and it plays well with AVG.
"The armory was even better. Above the door was a sign: You dream, we build." -Mark Owen, No Easy Day

"My assault weapon won't be 'illegal,' it will be 'undocumented.'" -KL