AGM batteries anybody go the skinny?

Discussion of all things technological and/or gadgety
evan price

AGM batteries anybody go the skinny?

Post by evan price »

Picked up a new battery for the truck, an AGM battery. Heard these are great newer technology and superior to flooded cells in every way.

True/false?

This one was a brand new, never used, not a mark on the terminals, and this year's production, but had been returned to a store. Store can't sell returned "used" batteries as new, so they mark them "Refurbished". Six month warranty, but only $29 instead of $129.
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc

http://ohioccwforums.org/
Ohioans for Concealed Carry:THE source for Ohio CCW information and discussion!
Rustyv

Re: AGM batteries anybody go the skinny?

Post by Rustyv »

Use something similar at work for battery backup of our communications sites. They're a lead acid battery you don't have to screw with.

Kissing cousins are gel (Optima makes one for the automotive market I believe) and VRLA. All are so much less hassle than the old wet cells.
Welcome to the internet: Where men are men, women are men, and children are FBI agents.

Dance like it hurts, Love like you need the money, Work like people are watching - Scott Adams
randy

Post by randy »

I'm familiar with them for radio power back up systems, not vehicles. One big advantage over standard vehicles is a low self-discharge rate, especially compared to standard batteries. Makes them especially suited for stand-by power applications for stuff not used very often, when you can't keep it on a trickle charge.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

I have one in the Suburban. I did a bit of research before I bought it, though not exhaustive.

The way I understand them, they can discharge fully without damage, then recharge fully. Also, they're a bit like a deep cycle battery in that you can use them to listen to the radio for a long time without having to worry so much that they won't start the vehicle.

I got one for the Suburban because it's old enough that there's no dinger if you leave the headlights on. On moderately bright rainy days, I've been known to forget to turn the headlights off.

Since I got it, I've done that twice. Once, 4 hours later, it still started. Once I needed a jump, and the battery has shown no signs of trouble. I'm sold.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
Termite

Post by Termite »

What you should not do with AGMs is equalize them, such as can be done to flooded cell batteries. Also, the peak charge and float voltage is generally slightly less; it's why the newer "smart" chargers have different settings for various battery types.
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."
Langenator

Post by Langenator »

Dang acronym overlap...I was looking for Air to Ground Missile batteries.
Fortuna Fortis Paratus