Build it your self EDM??

Discussion of all things technological and/or gadgety
toad

Build it your self EDM??

Post by toad »

I've been trying to find information about building your own EDM for at least tap burning. I've found books for sale on the subject from simple (?) capacitance types for tap burning to pulse types for complex forming with a slick finish.
Has anybody here messed with these :?:
JustinR

Re: Build it your self EDM??

Post by JustinR »

Why yes, it is possible to build your own electronic dance music. Are you old school trance or new school dubstep?
"The armory was even better. Above the door was a sign: You dream, we build." -Mark Owen, No Easy Day

"My assault weapon won't be 'illegal,' it will be 'undocumented.'" -KL
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

I saw the title and thought "EMP."

What's EDM?
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
toad

Post by toad »

Electrical Discharge Machining:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrica ... _machining
At its simplest an electrode is used to burn a hole through a hard material such as a tap. These days with CNC controls and advanced software it can be used to make smooth complex shapes in hardened metals.
Wire EDM is often used to produce high end trigger parts from hardened tool steel. It leaves a smooth burrless finish.
Prices for commercial rigs can run in the 4 to 6 figures.
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
toad

Post by toad »

Well that first one is certainly cheap enough. I remember using something similar to what is showed in that second video only more primitive to burn out a tap back in the mid 1970's. The spindle didn't turn and it just used water in a hollow electrode to flush and cool.
I worked in a factory that had EDM die sinkers but I never got to use (play with) them. This was back in the late 1960's IIRC.
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

You can buy a used "hole popper" for around a grand or two.

A used manual die sinker like a Mitsubishi in say the 30 amp range, in good condition can be had for 6 grand or so. CNC ones tend to be $$$$$.

Considering the costs involved in building them, it makes more sense to buy a used one.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
toad

Post by toad »

The made in Taiwan stuff isn't much cheaper. I'd kind of hoped that with an inexpensive lap top and some stepper motors you could make your own cnc rig for 3 figures. Dang soft ware still goes for more than that though.
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

1 steppers are less than ideal, and servos and drives aren't cheap.
2 the power supply will not be cheap to build, I think it was close to a grand.
3 you haven't touched on ball screws - those cheap rolled ballscrews are only good to . 004 per foot. Ground screws are pricey.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
toad

Post by toad »

Ayup It looks like if you want something that can do the fancy cuts it looks like, as always, you have to pay the fancy price. :cry: