Recommend dual band ham antenna/mount?

Discussion of all things technological and/or gadgety
Weetabix

Recommend dual band ham antenna/mount?

Post by Weetabix »

One for the hams on the board:

I recently got a ham radio installed in my '98 4Runner. I currently have a mag mount dual band antenna on top. The coax runs between the right passenger door and the body. It's probably not optimal because I'm getting kinks in the coax.

I'm looking for a more permanent antenna and mount.

I could put it on the hood. I could put it on a rear bumper.

What are your recommendations for best antenna performance with respect to location, length, mounting, etc?

How do you get the coax from outside the vehicle to inside?
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
Rumpshot

Re: Recommend dual band ham antenna/mount?

Post by Rumpshot »

I have had good luck with Larsen glass mount antennas such as this.

I have one now waiting for a new windshield then it will be mounted.

Takes care of routing the coax to the inside of the vehicle.
NRA Life Member
VFW Life Member
NMLRA Field Rep
North Central Arizona
Rumpshot

Post by Rumpshot »

Glass mounts stick very well. Have never had any luck removing one for remounting though.
NRA Life Member
VFW Life Member
NMLRA Field Rep
North Central Arizona
randy

Post by randy »

Some window coatings have metallic components that can interfere with conduction through a glass mount. Don't know how prevalent that is or if that's been corrected for over the past umpty ump years.

I've actually got 2 for VHF/UHF antennas on my 06 Trailblazer.

One (Primary for a TM-D710 dual bander)is mounted on the tailgate using a Comet RS 730 with it positioned down enough so that it just clears my garage door.
PICT0290.JPG
with a Comet Z-750. I use a Comet SBB-7 when working an event or in boonies.

The other (secondary antenna for use with the IC-706) is a generic trunk lip mount on the front hood. I normally use a Comet SB-10 shorty for around town, but it handles a full sized Comet Z-750 just fine for public service events and cross country driving.
PICT0596.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
randy

Post by randy »

The comet mounts (and some of their competitors) can be had with coax assemblies (see the CP-5 here, which is the mount I have with a coax assembly)that start on a very thin diameter for a foot or so and then expand to normal size coax. This seems to work well for passing through the hatchback gaskets on the back with no noticed gaps for water etc.

For the hood mount, going, no gasket to worry about. I ran the coax through where the cable assembly from the engine compartment go through to the driver's side door and put on my own connector once it was passed through.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

I wrote to the Silicone Graybeard with the same question. Based on his answer, I decided to do it the hard way.

I got a Larsen NMO 2/70 and a Breedlove NMO mount and drilled a hole in the roof. The hard part was getting the headliner out.

I ran the coax under the headliner, down the driver's side pillar and to the radio under the seat. I tested it before I put the insides back together.

I saw a photo recently of two off road vehicles side by side. One was filthy and one was pristine. The caption said, "Not off-roading your four wheel drive to preserve resale value is like not having sex with your wife so she'll be fresher for her next husband." I decided that applies to lots of things. :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
randy

Post by randy »

FB! (Hamspeak for Cool!)

The reason I don't do something similar is where I park at home (through a carport and into a garage where that would not clear), and the garage at work, same issue. We've already replaced a "Life time guarantee, flexible, won't break" commercial VHF antenna on a company truck after a year or so in service. The manufacturer replaced it, but wanted the original back to examine.