Windows 10

Discussion of all things technological and/or gadgety
toad

Re: Windows 10

Post by toad »

Bwahahahhhaah, Free at last. I've loaded Linux Mint on a refurbished think :twisted: pad t61, and wiped out windows on my new Solid State Hard drive. Not having to put up with a touch screen, and pop ups has been worth it.
I like the free office suite that came with the installation.
I just use the Windows 10 machine to watch online video. The VGA on this little 14.5 inch screen isn't too bad and despite being small and narrow it is easier to type on this little beast than the bigger window 10.
Odahi

Update on the netbook at work

Post by Odahi »

My little Samsung netbook is still putting along without problems. It's slow, but that's more a function of the old hardware than anything wrong with Win 10. I kept the "Edge" browser, but installed Firefox and use that for most everything. I've been playing a couple of my older games on it, and they are running fine. Some other old games weren't compatible. These are things like Mah Jong and such, not any video-intensive shooters or anything. I've been playing a bunch of music, too, and that works. I don't use it for photos or video. I did notice that PDF files open slowly. but all functionality is there, once they finally load. This, too, I expect is due to the old Atom processor and whopping 2GB of RAM. All in all, the little netbook seems to have found a useful life. My stepdaughter has been using Mrs. O's netbook (we got identical ones) and it's working fine for her, too, after the upgrade. So far no worries, I'm even thinking about putting it on my older HP laptop, and seeing how it does with something with (a tiny bit) more horsepower. That machine has an A8 processor and 6 GB RAM, with an old 640-GB hard drive. I hardly use it any more, but it would probably be worth it to get me readier for the inevitable questions from friends and family when THEY upgrade. Plus, the next machine I buy will inevitably be pre-loaded with 10.
Birds gotta swim, fish gotta fly, assholes gotta ass, until the day they die.

"Common sense" is an oxymoron.