Need some basic email/website tech support

Discussion of all things technological and/or gadgety
BDK

Need some basic email/website tech support

Post by BDK »

I know a fair number of y'all are tech types. I'd like to hire one of y'all to be the admin for our email and website stuff - frankly, its more of an occasional gig than a regular task, but I can't seem to figure out how to become the admin again of our email system, and I just don't have the time/skill to deal w. it.

Right now, I need to get one email account added, and a dedicated "admin@my domain" account set up to be the admin, as I have no idea what it is now.

Any idea what would be fair for this? $100?
Weetabix

Re: Need some basic email/website tech support

Post by Weetabix »

Have you asked among your employees to see if there's a tech-savvy guy? What about that young guy who wanted to do controls via Raspberry-Pi for you?
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
BDK

Post by BDK »

He's went back to school, and is off interning as an engineer now. I can ask around among the young fellows.

We have a few college kids working for me
Erik

Post by Erik »

While it's not the main focus of the business I started a while ago, doing basic tech support is one of the things I offer to do.
Setting up an email account isn't much work in itself depending on the system, the difficulty would be to get access to do it. It's a bit unclear in your post, but I'm assuming you have access to the server account so it's possible to do it, and what you are really looking for is help configuring it. So you're not looking for someone to try and find the account name and/or password? (If so, you really should call the hosting company to get it yourself)
Assuming that, I'd presume it's about an hours work to do the email changes. It would probably take 5-10 minutes on a familiar system.

I really cant say anything about what a reasonable price is. I'm not in the US and the costs are different here, but from my view $100 sounds like an ok price. Especially if you can offer more work later on, it would make it less worrying that the system turns out to be difficult to configure, the tech would be able to spend some extra time on it to be able to do future changes faster and cheaper for you.

Maybe there's someone else on the board that is in the US and could do it for you, otherwise I'm sure it should be possible to find a college kid willing to do it.
"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid."
John Wayne
BDK

Post by BDK »

One of my college kids is trying to get it puzzled out. For some reason gmail stopped recognizing the admin account as the admin account, so we just need to prove ownership of the domain, and that should take care of it