type while standing?

Discussion of all things technological and/or gadgety
blackeagle603

Re: type while standing?

Post by blackeagle603 »

try standing pigeon toed, quads locked, abs relaxed/belly breathing. Work on distributing weight evenly across feet; from foot to foot, and within each foot.

Periodically
1) reset shoulders: roll first one shoulder up, then back, sliding scapula back and in toward spine. Then the other shoulder & scapula.

2) Extend upright: imagine a string from top of your head pulling in traction straight to ceiling. Start at sacrum and work up a segment at a time relaxing/opening up segments of spine up in a line to that string pulling straight up to ceiling.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
Durham68

Post by Durham68 »

Dub_James wrote:
Aesop wrote:Baptists aren't allowed to type standing up, because it could lead to dancing.
Just one small wrist flex away from the dreaded.... Jazz Hands.
Then comes the card playing :o

We have articulating desks that raise and lower using an electric motor. I liked it at first, but found that all the things that ache from sitting, ache even more from standing more than a few minutes. Bad posture is bad posture. I took a few reports down to the gym to see what it might be like to work while walking on the treadmill. I liked it and am pretty close to buying a walking treadmill deck for my work station. I find walking far more tolerable than standing. The typing is going to take some getting used to.
"Unattended children will be given an espresso and a puppy"
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

Sitting is the root of many (most?) posture problems. That whole hip flexor thing... If you can't stand comfortably for long, don't just avoid standing!!!

Get to work on improving posture and extending your ability to stand.

Try the pigeon toed standing. I can explain wall stork later if you want when I have more time.

Change your paradigm. As a starting point to that end, it is hard to beat anything written by Pete Egoscue. I'd recommend his "Pain free... " book as most direct path.

Jill Miller's Yoga Tuneup and Roll Model are great too.
Gokhale Method is useful but too ishy squishy hippy-ish bay area for me to be real committed to -- but have gleaned some good stuff from her.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
Greg

Post by Greg »

Pretty sure everyone finds walking more comfortable than standing. Walking naturally assists the circulation, standing does the opposite.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
Windy Wilson

Post by Windy Wilson »

Marko Kloos, of the blog "The Munchkin Wrangler" wrote extensively about his efforts to have a desk for standing about a year ago.
The use of the word "but" usually indicates that everything preceding it in a sentence is a lie.
E.g.:
"I believe in Freedom of Speech, but". . .
"I support the Second Amendment, but". . .
--Randy
BDK

Post by BDK »

I, regularly, spend most of the day standing/walking - my back hurts if I don't - focusing on keeping tension in my lower abdomen - from my naval down, helps me - but that could just be due to my posture issues
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

yep, that's a compensation for hip flexor dysfunction, The primary ones being the illiacus and psoas.

Work on opening those up and activating them for a week or so and see if you notice any changes start. (hint: you should and will then prolly choose to make it a habit)

Try couch stretch with contract and relax (5 sec on/10 sec off) of hipflexors while relaxing belly and diaphragm breathing. The diaphragm is a big muscle and interacts with the hip flexors, QL and all that "core" stuff. The contract and relax is a PNF trick for retraining your muscles.

Spend a couple minutes a side, several times a day.

weird links didn't embed like normal.

http://www.crossfitsouthbay.com/stretch ... h-stretch/]couch stretch

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PNF_stretching

toad

Post by toad »

Well it is working for me sorta. I have to remember to do "the way of the horse stance." I need to elevate the screen a bit more but my hands are at the right height for typing. To bad the screen on this Dell lap top is not detachable. Right now I can work for about 48 minutes before I have to go sit down. I've noticed some improvement though.