Work venting

Discussion of all things technological and/or gadgety
Cybrludite

Work venting

Post by Cybrludite »

Our development team needs to eat a bag of rancid, scabby, infected dicks. Also, I'm worried that I got so few calls from users about the issue in question. When you're making big changes to how folks log-in to something almost every employee uses most every day, it is considered good form to alert the users a day or so in advance. Also, informing the overnight NOC/phone support/everything else guy will go a long way to keeping you from getting worked over with a nail-bat. They're rolling out adaptive authentication at my employer, and tonight they applied it to our webmail. I get three calls back-to-back from two of our now ten hospitals about the webmail coming up to an unfamiliar login screen that's asking security questions after the username & password. URL looks legit, but there's no heads up in my email nor in the NOC change management page. i had to ring up my department on-call to find out that it was legit. More worrisome is the fact that I only had the three calls. "Oh, look, it's not the login page I'm used to seeing for this. I'll just type in my information and ignore the risk that it might be a clumsy phishing attempt!"
"If it ain't the Devil's Music, you ain't doin' it right." - Chris Thomas King

"When liberal democracies collapse, someone comes along who promises to make the trains run on time if we load the right people into them." - Tam K.
Aesop

Re: Work venting

Post by Aesop »

After careful observation, I have concluded that the function of bad IT is to pull everyone's pants down re:the Internet one inch at a time.
The function of bad management is to hire bad IT.
And the function of good employees is to greet bad management in a dark parking structure with cudgels and warhammers, and retire them Tonya Harding-style.
Nothing else works, and profanity is a weak salve after the fact.

Bad IT can't be helped. Like doctors, half of them graduated in the bottom half of their class, so unless someone starts crib-strangling them, we're stuck with them.
"There are four types of homicide: felonious, accidental, justifiable, and praiseworthy." -Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"
MarkD

Post by MarkD »

Aesop wrote:After careful observation, I have concluded that the function of bad IT is to pull everyone's pants down re:the Internet one inch at a time.
And the function of good employees is to greet bad management in a dark parking structure with cudgels and warhammers, and retire them Tonya Harding-style.

Bad IT can't be helped. Like doctors, half of them graduated in the bottom half of their class, so unless someone starts crib-strangling them, we're stuck with them.
It's worse than you know. Project Leaders are outranked by Project Managers. Project Managers are outranked by Project Coordinators. Project Coordinators are outranked by Project Administrators.

That tells you everything you need to know about both IT in general and American business practices as a whole.
Aesop

Post by Aesop »

MarkD wrote:It's worse than you know. Project Leaders are outranked by Project Managers. Project Managers are outranked by Project Coordinators. Project Coordinators are outranked by Project Administrators.

That tells you everything you need to know about both IT in general and American business practices as a whole.
My clue was when I realized I could recognize all the IT HelpLine guys by voice after two weeks on a job, whereas I had never met my manager's supervisor.
"There are four types of homicide: felonious, accidental, justifiable, and praiseworthy." -Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"
Steamforger

Post by Steamforger »

MarkD wrote:
Aesop wrote:After careful observation, I have concluded that the function of bad IT is to pull everyone's pants down re:the Internet one inch at a time.

It's worse than you know. Project Leaders are outranked by Project Managers. Project Managers are outranked by Project Coordinators. Project Coordinators are outranked by Project Administrators.

And certain Federal Agencies.
Cybrludite

Post by Cybrludite »

The folks on the project appear to have stepped on their dicks with this one. Seems as a result of their changes, no one was getting emails on their phones until mid-morning. Our CEO doesn't like not getting emails on his phone.
"If it ain't the Devil's Music, you ain't doin' it right." - Chris Thomas King

"When liberal democracies collapse, someone comes along who promises to make the trains run on time if we load the right people into them." - Tam K.
toad

Post by toad »

I have a relative who does tech support on legacy stuff. He was on pager duty an gets called by a group. He said they conference called and babbled techno geek for about a half hour before he could get enough words in to inform them the problem they were trying to solve did not concern their department and it was an attempt to use them, and still they maintained motor boat mode, but, but, but, but.