Yet another Airbus crash.

Discussion of all things technological and/or gadgety
Rich

Yet another Airbus crash.

Post by Rich »

This time over the southern Alps, on a flight from Barcelona to Dusseldorf.

More HERE.

I'm beginning to think those things are downright dangerous.
A weak government usually remains a servant of citizens, while a strong government usually becomes the master of its subjects.
- paraphrased from several sources

A choice, not an echo. - Goldwater campaign, 1964
PawPaw

Re: Yet another Airbus crash.

Post by PawPaw »

Too early to tell, but I've read that they descended from 35K to 8.5K in the French Alps. It's pretty easy to find a mountain in the Alps at 8500 feet.
Dennis Dezendorf
PawPaw's House
Aesop

Post by Aesop »

Time to change the name to GroundBus?
"There are four types of homicide: felonious, accidental, justifiable, and praiseworthy." -Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"
JustinR

Post by JustinR »

Aesop wrote:Time to change the name to GroundBus?
Scarebus is a favorite.

If it ain't Boeing, I ain't going, etc., etc...
"The armory was even better. Above the door was a sign: You dream, we build." -Mark Owen, No Easy Day

"My assault weapon won't be 'illegal,' it will be 'undocumented.'" -KL
JustinR

Post by JustinR »

FYI, even for emergencies where you encounter a rapid or explosive decompression, normal procedures are to descend to 10,000' MSL where everyone should be able to breath adequately without supplemental oxygen, or the Minimum Enroute Altitude (MEA) on an airway, or the charted grid Minimum Off Route Altitude (MORA), whichever is higher. Flight plans (at least in the U.S., and I'm sure ICAO standards are similar) require drift down performance planning by dispatch over mountainous terrain in the event of an engine failure, with either the ability to maintain two thousand feet clearance over all obstacles during a gradual descent, or one thousand feet clearance holding altitude over obstacles, allowing the aircraft to safely divert to an enroute alternate, origin, or destination.

Once again, it appears something has gone tragically and fatally wrong unfortunately.
"The armory was even better. Above the door was a sign: You dream, we build." -Mark Owen, No Easy Day

"My assault weapon won't be 'illegal,' it will be 'undocumented.'" -KL
Aesop

Post by Aesop »

Well, at least they won't spend 15 months trying to find the plane in this case.
"There are four types of homicide: felonious, accidental, justifiable, and praiseworthy." -Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"
Termite

Post by Termite »

It seems there was no radio call, only an emergency "button call"(did the BBC mean a code 7700 squawk?). That would appear to indicate extremely rapid catastophe failure.

Interesting.
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."
Erik

Post by Erik »

Termite wrote:It seems there was no radio call, only an emergency "button call"(did the BBC mean a code 7700 squawk?). That would appear to indicate extremely rapid catastophe failure.

Interesting.
The news here has this:
At 10.35 tuesday morning, the airplane disappeared from french radar.
The aircraft had continuing contact with the tower - and they could track the approaching disaster for 18 minutes.
Shortly after the plane reached cruising altitude (?) it began to descend. Then followed eight minutes with the plane continuing to loose altitude.
- The contact with the french air traffic control broke off at 10.53 when the plane was at an altitude of 2000 meters. Then the plane crashed, says Thomas Winkelmann, ceo for Germanwing in a press conference.
According to earlier information from french transport authorities, there is supposed to have been an emergency call from the palne. That is not correct says the french airtraffic authority DGAC. It was the air traffic control that sounded the alarm when they could no longer communicate with the plane..
The aircraft then fell in a speed that indicates that there may have been a problem with the cabin pressure, or alternatively that the pilots tried to land the plane, says the german paper Spiegel.
There's also witnesses on the ground that saw the plane coming in way too low, but with no other indication anything else was wrong. They saw it and felt "that's just way too low, they wont make it".
"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid."
John Wayne
Steamforger

Post by Steamforger »

I don't believe I got an alert for a 7700 for this one.
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

Wonder if I should check what the local connection airline will be flying from Zurich to Lubjlana next Sunday.

Liking the thought of being in an Airbus less and less.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story