The curse that is Brother wirless printing

Discussion of all things technological and/or gadgety
toad
On a list somewhere

The curse that is Brother wirless printing

Postby toad » Mon Mar 09, 2015 1:39 am

Really, I had it working and I really liked the print results. Then it just went away. I tried for about an hour to get it back and then said to heck with it. I looked through two boxes of junk searching for a USB cable. I had a couple but they were the wrong type for computer to printer hook up. I checked online for the right type. My local Walmart had a reasonably priced model. So I dragged my old bod the half block to it. Good grief, they have cables scattered all over the place. I finally found a guy free to show me where the type I wanted was at. He took me right to the site....where all the hooks for computer to printer cables were empty. He said they did have one model left but it was the expensive Belkin $20 type. So he took me over to the aisle across from the printers and there lying flat on a shelf, dang near invisible were the cables. I was too tired to slit throats and scream so I just bought the flushinger cable.
I got online and found that Brother had a upgrade for the software. Of course you first have to download an app to remove the old software. The when I'm downloading the new stuff I had to be careful to decline the extras they wanted to dump on me.
A heck of a lot of folderal just to load bus routes and how toos. :evil:

HTRN
Probably Unemployed

Re: The curse that is Brother wirless printing

Postby HTRN » Mon Mar 09, 2015 2:12 am

Brother wifi printing not working? Shocked, I tell you shocked! :lol:
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt

Netpackrat
Probably Unemployed

Postby Netpackrat » Mon Mar 09, 2015 2:13 am

HTRN wrote:Brother wifi printing not working? Shocked, I tell you shocked! :lol:

No kidding. Not sure why anybody would put themselves through that in a world with $100 HP wireless laser printers.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop

evan price
Trigger Junkie

Postby evan price » Mon Mar 09, 2015 2:14 am

Somebody bought one at work for the utility printer. It's been 5 years. Never have gotten the wifi working. And then the Brother half-full toner cartridges are great too... why did anybody buy anything but HP?
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc

http://ohioccwforums.org/
Ohioans for Concealed Carry:THE source for Ohio CCW information and discussion!

toad
On a list somewhere

Postby toad » Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:08 am

I saw that Brother monochrome laser printer at Wally World, is was about $20 cheaper than the HP. I thought surely Brother has worked the bugs out after all of the complaints over the year.....yeah I know, sucker. I didn't know about the capacity difference between the included toner cartridge and the replacement cartridge either until I looked up cartridge prices on line. I'm thinking it will be more economical for me to get rid of the Brother when the cartridge runs out. Maybe I could trade it for a ham sandwich or something. :evil:

HTRN
Probably Unemployed

Postby HTRN » Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:57 am

I reiterate my previous advice about buying a refurbed HP. :ugeek:

Or you could spend 40 bucks and buy this. ;)
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt

toad
On a list somewhere

Postby toad » Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:56 pm

Since I can't ride the bike that far or carry that printer in Lewisville on the motorcycle, I'd have to rent a vehicle. Then I'm pretty sure I'd have to spring for toner. by the time you add up the costs.......It either mail order or haul my cart to Wally World or Sam's. :lol:

Greg
Probably Unemployed

Postby Greg » Mon Mar 09, 2015 2:57 pm

HTRN wrote:I reiterate my previous advice about buying a refurbed HP. :ugeek:

Or you could spend 40 bucks and buy this. ;)

Funny. I'm a bit of a technophile, but I hate shit that doesn't WORK. Because that's what technology is FOR, to help you get shit done. So I personally tend to embrace the more mature technologies. I like to stay right on the line of things that are 'becoming mature'.

Anyway, HP isn't what it used to be. (Nothing is.)

Unless you get one of the high-end heavy duty corporate monstrosity HP printers (and like HTRN says, you should buy those refurbed), you're not getting what you like to think you're getting. HP 'personal' printers have been getting cheaper and nastier for a long time. 15+ years ago my $400 Samsung monochrome laser was a much better piece of hardware than the equivalent $400 HP monochrome personal laser (a friend's gf had one), and things haven't gotten better for the HP's since then. If you buy a decent quality printer (i.e. not a 'host' printer) from most any manufacturer, you should be fine.

But certain things to avoid. Ink jets never work right (the way they claim to, the way you think they should), they will clog, the ink will dry out- printer's dirt cheap but your life will become a nightmare of expensive, short-lived consumables. Wireless printing never works right. Go with a wired, monochrome laser. Look at lots of reviews online. There are perfectly good models from Brother, Samsung, HP (just don't pay extra for the name), etc. If you need to print pictures, upload them to Costco, etc.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr

Denis
Good Christ I Need A Life

Postby Denis » Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:14 pm

Greg wrote:Go with a wired, monochrome laser.

+1. My HP LaserJet 1100A was a high-$ item when new, is probably 20 years old by now, frugal with toner, a fine standby photocopier, and it has never given any trouble, other then I can't find Linux drivers for the scanner feature (too old).

I also got it for free :-)

Denis
Good Christ I Need A Life

Postby Denis » Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:25 pm

HTRN wrote:Or you could spend 40 bucks and buy this. ;)

Those are the business! I have personally put tons of paper through those. If I could find one that cheap here, I'd be right onto it...

Greg
Probably Unemployed

Postby Greg » Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:34 pm

Denis wrote:
HTRN wrote:Or you could spend 40 bucks and buy this. ;)

Those are the business! I have personally put tons of paper through those. If I could find one that cheap here, I'd be right onto it...

Had one a lot like that one at work 15+ years ago. We'd put several reams of paper through it every week, and it held up fine for years.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr

HTRN
Probably Unemployed

Postby HTRN » Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:35 am

toad wrote:Since I can't ride the bike that far or carry that printer in Lewisville on the motorcycle, I'd have to rent a vehicle. Then I'm pretty sure I'd have to spring for toner. by the time you add up the costs.......It either mail order or haul my cart to Wally World or Sam's. :lol:

A cartridge costs 25 bucks and lasts for thousands of pages. A cheap vehicle rental is going to what? cost you 40 bucks?(zipcar)

So worst case scenario, it will run you a hundred bucks, the same as your wally world special. Only you're getting a Peterbilt, instead of a Geo Metro.

toad
On a list somewhere

Postby toad » Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:00 pm

HTRN:
You've given me some good ideas, but it will be about 3 months until I can implement. So I'll have to nurse what I've got for a while I'm looking at about 3 more trips to the urologist at $45 a visit, and a new pair of eyeglasses. The eyeglasses will be "free" if I just get bifocals, but if I want anything extra I have to pay extra, continuous curve and such.

Wrenchbender1
Case Shiner

Postby Wrenchbender1 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:51 pm

After watching my Uncle almost go Attila the Hun on the latest in a long string of cheap, chain store printers, I picked him up a OKI B431dn. It's been a year or so since I bought it, and he hasn't complained about it once. No idea if it does wireless though.
Beware lest in your anxiety to avoid war you obtain a master.
- Demosthenes

Rich
On a list somewhere

Postby Rich » Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:44 pm

Check out the HP 1022. Mine's been running for over ten years now without a glitch, while remanufactured toner cartridges are running about $12 each.from Amazon.

I may go wireless in the future, but if I do, I'll use a little Trendnet wireless USB print server I have laying around and the same printer. ;)
A weak government usually remains a servant of citizens, while a strong government usually becomes the master of its subjects.
- paraphrased from several sources

A choice, not an echo. - Goldwater campaign, 1964

Odahi
Loose Cannon

Postby Odahi » Sun Apr 26, 2015 12:33 am

I must be the exception. I have a HP Officejet 4632 that I bought from Costco a couple years ago. Now, I'm not a heavy user, nor do I have "mad tekk skillz" but it has been just fine for me. Wifi setup took all of two minutes, minus the time the machine was thinking about things. Every device in the house can and does use it with no problems. It does black and white, color, scans, copies, faxes, and has never given me a hiccup. It also does duplex and has a document feeder. It cost me all of $125, I think, way back when. Of course, we're pretty mainstream, we all only run various versions of Wondows, from 7 to 8.1. YMMV, I'm just glad I haven't had THAT particular demon chasing me. Mine are other versions, like a $2500 laptop that blue-screens intermittently, or a wifi adapter that wouldn't maintain a connection. But the main machines are (mostly) trouble-free, except for Mrs. O's laptop. But her machines always have a nervous breakdown sooner or later. I think it's an anomaly in her body's electromagnetic field, or at least that's what I tease her with.
Birds gotta swim, fish gotta fly, assholes gotta ass.

"Common sense" is an oxymoron.

Return to “Tech Talk”