Hydraulic clutch

Discussion of all things technological and/or gadgety
Cobar

Hydraulic clutch

Post by Cobar »

I recently picked up an old beater pickup (89 k1500.) It was converted from an automatic and has a NV3500 5 speed in it. I don't know the year of the tranny.

The clutch engages near the floor and going in to reverse sometimes takes going in to 5th, then reverse. Most of what I have read points to bleeding the clutch. I've bleed it the conventional way (helper working the pedal, me working the bleed screw) with no improvement. I don't know if there is still air trapped or if one of the cylinders are bad.

Any suggestions?
Netpackrat

Re: Hydraulic clutch

Post by Netpackrat »

Clutch bleeding sucks. Pumping fluid in from the bleeder screw will often force the air up and out through the master.

http://www.chevytalk.org/fusionbb/showt ... tid/177082
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Cobar

Post by Cobar »

Thanks.

I'll have to see if I can find a fitting to go where the bleeder screw is. It's just a set screw, doesn't have a nipple on it. That might do the trick. I hate to buy parts if it is just air.

Second question, what are the fittings called that are held in by a roll pin that goes through the groove on the male part of the connector?
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Cobar wrote:Thanks.

I'll have to see if I can find a fitting to go where the bleeder screw is. It's just a set screw, doesn't have a nipple on it. That might do the trick. I hate to buy parts if it is just air.
That's interesting. Usually there is a bleeder nipple.

http://www.mityvac.com/pages/info_service_hcl.asp
Second question, what are the fittings called that are held in by a roll pin that goes through the groove on the male part of the connector?
Not sure; I would need to see a picture. Most of what I have worked on is older.

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Cobar

Post by Cobar »

Maybe someone just stuck a set screw in there because the bleeder screw was damaged? You find weird stuff that other people did.
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Cobar wrote:Maybe someone just stuck a set screw in there because the bleeder screw was damaged? You find weird stuff that other people did.
It's possible. I know that at least some model years of Jeep, the hydraulic clutch components were sold as a single assembly (master, slave, and hose), pre-serviced with fluid. I assume it was to avoid problems with getting it bled in the field. In that case, they might not have included a regular bleeder.

evan price

Post by evan price »

Cobar wrote:Maybe someone just stuck a set screw in there because the bleeder screw was damaged? You find weird stuff that other people did.
No, it's just a setscrew, and usually all you need to do is let gravity bleed them. I've force-bled by putting my gloved thumb over the hole and having somebody else gently push the pedal.
Look for signs of fluid inside the truck under the dash where the clutch pedal rod goes into the clutch master cylinder. Leaks here means the master cylinder for the clutch is bad.
Also if it bleeds OK and you still don't have enough stroke it usually means the seals internally are bad in either the master or slave cylinders and its bypassing.
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc

http://ohioccwforums.org/
Ohioans for Concealed Carry:THE source for Ohio CCW information and discussion!
Cobar

Post by Cobar »

evan price wrote:
No, it's just a setscrew, and usually all you need to do is let gravity bleed them. I've force-bled by putting my gloved thumb over the hole and having somebody else gently push the pedal.
Look for signs of fluid inside the truck under the dash where the clutch pedal rod goes into the clutch master cylinder. Leaks here means the master cylinder for the clutch is bad.
Also if it bleeds OK and you still don't have enough stroke it usually means the seals internally are bad in either the master or slave cylinders and its bypassing.
I'll try a gravity bleed next.

I've checked all around for leaking fluid and found none. It was a transplant from another truck, so I know the components are somewhat old. I was worried about the seals. If I can't get it bled with gravity or try that vac, I will have to get new cylinders I guess, it can't hurt.

I found a pic of that fitting here, LINK. Third pic down. They are just calling it a factory fitting. That is the one I was trying to find a name for. Both the slave and master have that.
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Hunh. Shows how far out of the loop I am when it comes to modern automobiles. But if you need help with Girling flares and BSF fittings, I'm your man. :mrgreen:

Cobar

Post by Cobar »

I think we are getting old. It seems modern to me but it is 26 years old. :lol: