Web hosting services

Discussion of all things technological and/or gadgety
Rich Jordan

Web hosting services

Post by Rich Jordan »

I help maintain a small family website; its mostly a Wordpress blog at a domain we own. I've had it at Hostgator since 2011, but its getting pricy there ($119/year, and they never have coupons or discounts on renewals; just new services and customers). It is low traffic, 4-5000 hits per year, maybe 140-150MB/month traffic. By preference I run it on a shared Linux host there (I really really don't enjoy working on windows)

Anyone got suggestions for an alternate webhost for a low volume site that costs less, supports Wordpress, preferably runs Linux or other un*x?

Pre 2011 it ran on GoDaddy but we moved it because they kept raising the price every year (and hostgator with the coupon was cheaper for the two years the coupon was valid).

Thanks
randy

Re: Web hosting services

Post by randy »

My low (probably zero hits) traffic personal site and a local amateur radio site I use (using WordPress) is hosted on 1&1.net. $6.28 month hosting fee last time I was invoiced.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

I'm happy with A2 Hosting, but my yearly is only a little less than what you are paying.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Erik

Post by Erik »

Not sure any of the ones I use are of any use in the US, but I find the prices you guys pay to be expensive.

I run several sites for different organizations and clubs. I have two different providers I use for them, my favorite one (One.com)charges $2/month for web hosting including email service. They support Wordpress, forums, blogs, and photo galleries, and a lot of other stuff. I can really recommend them, if you don't have a problem having the servers in Scandinavia.
Another web hosting server I use is Surftown, that costs around $2.50/month. It's also a good service. I think One.com is a bit better, but not enough to bother moving the sites from Surftown to One.
(Just to be clear, the domain registration fee is not included in those prices, only the hosting of it. The domain registration is something like $15/year)

After this post I ended up finding another web hosting service that supported my personal domain, and found a small one that charges $23/year for web hosting including email. For that price it's limited space, but I can upgrade if I need more in the future. (And right now I only use it for email) They also support Wordpress and a lot of other software packages. I'm told that their servers are in the US, but the company is Scandinavian.
"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid."
John Wayne
JohnOC

Post by JohnOC »

I've been very happy with NearlyFreeSpeech.Net for the past nearly 10 years.

They use a pay-as-you-go pricing model, and price their services on the resources actually consumed by your site. This does make it a little strange looking to figure out, but also does result in pretty low costs.

As an extreme example, one of my 'sites' is just a collection of files that I want to link to on forums or have available online. Its got a bit over 100 megs of junk in it, and gets an average of 64 MB of it downloaded per month. It cost me $1.59 for the entire year of 2014. I deposited $5 in the account in June 2013, and I still have half of it left.

It is an extreme example, I know the customer whose wordpress installs I keep up to date on this service pays quite a bit more, but she also has an active wordpress blog, with quite a lot of pictures and media. As a ballpark sort of figure, I don't think she pays more than $5 most months for the site.
The government that is big enough to give you everything you want, is powerful enough to take everything you have. – Thomas Jefferson