New Flying accessory

Discussion of all things technological and/or gadgety
Termite

New Flying accessory

Post by Termite »

Newest addition to my growing number of toys: a Samsung Galaxy Slll mini, being used as a tiny tablet and GPS. Cost $78 on Ebay.

"But Termite, just get an iPad Mini and add Foreflight. It's what all the ATPs do."

Several reasons:

1. iPad Minis that are not 3G-4G don't have GPS, and I didn't want a separate GPS that I had to bluetooth to. The Slll mini has built in GLONASS, and doesn't have to be activated on a cell network to function. In fact, it will work without the SIM card installed.
2. Size. There's not a lot of room in a Quad City Challenger for extra avionics.
3. Cost. I paid $78 plus $4.99 shipping for an excellent-to-nearly new "micro-tablet" that can be activated on my cell plan later if I choose.
4. Avare is free, verses a yearly subscription for Foreflight.
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."
PawPaw

Re: New Flying accessory

Post by PawPaw »

That's great, and I didn't realize that the SIII could be used without cell service.

But, I thought you were flying a Hi-Max.
Dennis Dezendorf
PawPaw's House
JustinR

Post by JustinR »

You can probably replace the battery in the Samsung device when it gets to it's life expectancy as well.

I'm getting ready to replace the battery in my Iphone 5. Luckily the battery in my Ipad used as an EFB seems to be holding up well after a year of use.
"The armory was even better. Above the door was a sign: You dream, we build." -Mark Owen, No Easy Day

"My assault weapon won't be 'illegal,' it will be 'undocumented.'" -KL
Termite

Post by Termite »

PawPaw wrote:That's great, and I didn't realize that the SIII could be used without cell service.
But, I thought you were flying a Hi-Max.
Was. Right until the engine seized, at 800 ft over Dr. Benjamin's land. Hard landing; put it on the ground OK, but hit a stumphole on roll-out, breaking the landing gear.
Engine diagnose was aftermarket pistons with insufficient skirt clearance.

Engine has been overhauled, and rebuilt to factory specs this time.
Meanwhile, I bought a QC Challenger I from a WWII vet that had skin cancer; got it cheap.....REALLY cheap.
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."
AlaskaTRX

Post by AlaskaTRX »

I use an iPad mini with the little Garmin bluetooth GPS and their pilot software. Fees aren't horrid and it backs up my 496 quite well...
JustinR

Post by JustinR »

Well shoot Termite, you ok after that incident?
"The armory was even better. Above the door was a sign: You dream, we build." -Mark Owen, No Easy Day

"My assault weapon won't be 'illegal,' it will be 'undocumented.'" -KL
Termite

Post by Termite »

JustinR wrote:Well shoot Termite, you ok after that incident?
I'm fine. I did twist my ankle walking out, but that doesn't count.

Mostly I was pissed about the engine because of it having been improperly rebuilt; and no way to tell without a complete tear-down/inspection. It was sold to the previous owner as "inspected, low hours, ready to run", and he had test run it also(but not flown it); I don't blame him, I blame the engine seller). I had run and flown it just fine for several hours previously in the traffic pattern and nearby the airport, but apparently not long enough at 95-100% throttle to fully expand the pistons. First time I got more than 5 miles from the airport, it seized.
All this happened back in early May.
Termite

Post by Termite »

AlaskaTRX wrote:I use an iPad mini with the little Garmin bluetooth GPS and their pilot software. Fees aren't horrid and it backs up my 496 quite well...
I have a Garmin GPS V, and a 196. The 196 is really nice, but a bit large. The GPS V is perfect size for the CH-I, but doesn't have the Jeppesen data base; I loaded in a bunch of airports/private strips by hand.

I put Avare on the S3, and it works well, with a few minor quirks. I play with it in the S76 while riding to and from offshore. I also loaded the Map Quest GPS car app on it, so it can go from helicopter/plane to car easily.