Raspberry Pi?

Discussion of all things technological and/or gadgety
HTRN

Re: Raspberry Pi?

Post by HTRN »

BDK wrote:Weet, unless you're going to start automating machinery to move products in and out of different temperature baths - which would be fascinating, sous vide is little more than a crock pot hooked to a thermostat
Its actualy a pump with aheater connected to a PID and a thermocouple. :ugeek:

Regarding the origianl problem, wouldnt a cheap plc from somebody like automation direct be a simpler and cheaper solution?
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
BDK

Post by BDK »

OK so the little propeller to stir the water, a crockpot and a thermostat.

Smart ass.

It’s a handy cooking method, and I like it
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

Am loving the sous vide unit I got earlier this year. Clips on the side of a stock pot. I just use ziplock bags and express all the air under water as I zip it closed -- don't have a vacuum sealer and don't see the need at this point.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

blackeagle603 wrote:Am loving the sous vide unit I got earlier this year. Clips on the side of a stock pot. I just use ziplock bags and express all the air under water as I zip it closed -- don't have a vacuum sealer and don't see the need at this point.
What are you cooking? Meat? Veggies? Souffles?
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

Thus far various meats. Can make an average cut of beef great and a great cut even better.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

blackeagle603 wrote:Thus far various meats. Can make an average cut of beef great and a great cut even better.
Any schmuck can cook a halfway decent sirloin, with some practice. But chicken or more importantly fish? So easy to screw up, that restaurants do it all the time. The there's the so-called "chefs cuts" of beef that are damn near impossible to cook right using conventional methods..

I've even seen the big industrial circulators used to cook whole fish in a tub filled with oil! :shock:
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

Any schmuck can cook a halfway decent sirloin, with some practice.
And I dare say, that includes me. Better than the average bear by all accounts. However, IMHO sous vide takes it to whole 'nother level. At least judging by the silence around the table that usually greats me when guests get into their first bite.

Termite

Post by Termite »

Raspberry Pis are popular right now with the techno-geeks in the LSA and ultralight community. They're using them for ADS-B "in" . Paired with the correct dongles, they can get weather as well.

https://www.amazon.com/Aviation-Weather ... B01HFY75ZG
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."
Rich Jordan

Post by Rich Jordan »

I just picked up an Ubiquiti Unifi AP Pro for home; I'm tired of wireless issues but don't have the money for enterprise grade equipment. It takes a controller on the LAN to modify settings, do statistical monitoring, or provide cloud access and a Pi is a supported option. I'm going to set up my Pi 2 thats been sitting in its box for that.

The AP is already working so much better than the SonicPoint it replaced (which was better than the Netgear and the Linksys that preceded).