2015 Ford Mustang EcoBoost Loses Big Power On 87 Octane

Discussion of all things technological and/or gadgety
MarkD

Re: 2015 Ford Mustang EcoBoost Loses Big Power On 87 Octane

Post by MarkD »

Greg wrote:
PawPaw wrote:The Mustang needs, at a minimum, a 5.0 liter engine, or it's just a pale imitation of a Mustang.

A Mustang needs a V8. I'm surprised that Ford even offers a smaller engine.
Ford knows what sells. Or at least, what *they* sell. You'd be surprised how many people buy V6 Mustangs.
When I bought my Mustang in 1989 the choice was the 5.0 or the 2.3L 4. The 2.3 would have been MUCH cheaper for a 26 year old to insure.

I could also point out that V6 Camaros were popular too, can you say Berlinetta?
Termite

Post by Termite »

Well, if you remove the cats and trick out the O2 sensor, you can reprogram the ECU for more boost and run 100LL, for more HP... 8-)
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."
NVGdude

Post by NVGdude »

Greg wrote: Ford knows what sells. Or at least, what *they* sell. You'd be surprised how many people buy V6 Mustangs.
The Mustang was always a "Secretary's Car". Ford has always sold more 6's (Straight or V) than V-8's and these days sadly most of them are slushboxes as well.

Took me quite a while to get used to the "arrest me" red color of my 08 GT drop top, but it was the only one I could find with a stick shift and cloth seats. I've suffered with leather before, never again.
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Many cars today are designed for higher octane gas, but through the wizardry of modern engine management(Variable valve timing, wastegates, engine controlled ignition timing, knock sensors, etc), you can run a higher compression motor on low octane gas, albiet the engine won't be happy about it - versus 20 years ago, when doing so would make it sound like somebody beating on the block with a sledgehammer. Hell, my moms Saturn does this - it really wants 89, but will run on regular, albiet down on power.

Octane is nothing more than resistance to ignition. High octane gas has no more energy than low, but what it does allow, is running in high compression motors, which make it possible to extract more energy of the fuel.

Normally, you can't run more than 10:1 on 93, and that is seriously pushing it. There are a coupla tricks where you can run upwards of 10.5:1 on Super, like Ceramic coating the piston tops, exhaust ports, and combustion chambers, running the heater port lines into the back of the head, partially filling the block(makes the block more rigid, keeps oil cooler, increases carrying capacity of coolant). It also means more horsepower, as you're putting more BTUs to doing work, vs. heating up the block and heads.

14:1 on 87? How in the blue fuck are they doing that??!! I hear those kind of numbers, I think Cam2 and Sunoco "Blue"(260gt), not pump gas, let alone 87.

And I just like to add, I miss Sunoco stations carrying 97 octane gas. Hell, I wish somebody nearby carried E85..
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Be glad you don't live in Alaska. There is no pump gas higher than 90 octane here. Some stock vehicles need to be detuned in order to be used here.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Darrell

Post by Darrell »

IIRC octane here runs 85/87/89. I'd been running the Mazda on 85 (regular), it does fine. I did take advantage of the low prices to try 87, I couldn't tell any difference.

I'm curious about Ford's Ecoboost scheme--I saw they're claiming over 600 hp out of a 3.6L engine in their new GT. Holy cow:

https://media.ford.com/content/fordmedi ... ercar.html

Interesting car! Not sure I care for the front end, I think the retro styling ran its course with the last one. The back end looks very slick--the aero at and behind the cabin, the channels, looks like somebody turned a B-70 upside down. Know what I mean?
fordgt1.jpg
fordgt2.jpg
fordgt3.jpg
fordgt4.jpg
fordgt5.jpg
fordgt6.jpg
Also, I gather Top Gear's Jeremy Clarkson picked the new Corvette as his car of the year. I believe the show's new season will cover it. AND, I saw that the new Dodge Charger Hellcat will do an honest 204 mph. That's a four door sedan.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Eppur si muove--Galileo