SafeSaw

Discussion of all things technological and/or gadgety
John_in_Longview

SafeSaw

Post by John_in_Longview »

I want a table saw, but I am a computer programmer and need my fingers. The SafeSaw looks like the perfect fit. Has anyone heard anything bad (or good) about them?

Thanks,
John
PawPaw

Re: SafeSaw

Post by PawPaw »

If it works for you, then it works. Though, I've been using table saws for years, and I have my all my fingers. Actually, with most table saws today, accidents are pretty rare, and if you're counting on the safety features of a saw to keep your fingers out of the blade, you probably won't be counting with all your fingers for long.

Table saws are dangerous, so you've got to keep your head in the game so that your fingers don't fall on the floor.
Dennis Dezendorf
PawPaw's House
Precision

Post by Precision »

I agree with Paw Paw.

My tablesaw, a mid range one from Sears came with a blade guard that lifts up as you edge the wood in. A good safety feature, except that it was designed wrong and had way too much lateral slop. After it engaged the blade for the 3rd or so time, off it came. The blade had only engaged the plastic edge, but under different circumstances it could engage the metal and... we'll just say that would potentially have the ability to overwhelm my normal eye protection among other things.

That guard has long been off. Call it seven plus years. I can't think of ONE time it has been missed, but I pay attention when I have the machine running and when off, the blade is kept under the height of the fence and the fence is stored about 3/4" away from the blade and the saw is unplugged.

Safety, familiarity with capacity and capability, use push sticks and stand off tools and a sharp blade are all very important. Then being alert, aware, safe are also important. Then when you are deciding to freeform something, or work a little at the edge of the capacity, be Very Cautious, be very safe and use push sticks and the like and be sure someone is around in case.

Kickback and temporary binds that let loose are the big "I didn't see that coming" items that get you if you work while tired or are distracted. Other then that, cutting through a board with a nail in it and other random stuff are a small issue to be aware of. After that it is mainly knowing your and the machine's capacities and staying within them and within the safety margins.

Much less dangerous then an electric chainsaw.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/
MarkD

Post by MarkD »

I've read about those Safesaws. Bear in mind, that when triggered they destroy themselves AND your blade. Also, IIRC they need to be disengaged if you cut metal or they'll trigger, an expensive mistake.
JAG2955

Post by JAG2955 »

The Camp Lejeune woodshop had one. It had 4 paper hands next to it for the four times saved a finger or more when it was triggered. The owner/inventor or whatever was the guy who sold it to them. I was told that when they demo'd it, he would fire it up and ask people which finger he should use to stop it. Each time, the cut was just the tiniest nick, akin to a shaving cut.

If I live out in the boonies, I will likely invest in one.
Steamforger

Post by Steamforger »

The inventor is a bit of a dick as well. His opinion is you should only be able to buy his saw. By all accounts, the safe saw works very well. I also seem to remember reading that woods with a high moisture content can also trigger the mechanism. Triggers are very expensive, though, how much is a finger worth to you?

I'd say get one if you feel you need to. Otherwise, knowing how a conventional saw works and operating within those boundaries safely will likely work out just fine.
John_in_Longview

Post by John_in_Longview »

Thanks for all the comments. A finger is worth a lot to me, so the cost of the saw, and of replacing the brake and the blades isn't an issue. I plan to do all the things you do with a non-SafeSaw when cutting: blade only as high as it needs to be, use push sticks, watch what you are doing. I have no plans to cut metal, just wood. My main concerns about the SafeSaw are 1) it didn't work as advertised or 2) couldn't actually cut wood as it is supposed to.
BDK

Post by BDK »

But then who would we get to call Stumpy?

If you think you might need one, you probably do - but never rely on it.

Remember, with machines, horses and cattle - they are all looking actively looking to kill you, they're just waiting for your back to be turned.
Yogimus

Post by Yogimus »

...as he severs his finger with a pocket knife opening the box...
Aesop

Post by Aesop »

A "Safe Saw" is about like "Jumbo Shrimp" and "Military Music".
Presumably when (not if) the device fails, you will write the company with your left hand to demand a settlement and refund?

High speed moving machinery eats the body parts of the careless and clueless.
Don't be that guy.
I have been the or a construction medic on any number of productions with guys who do this stuff for a living.
As most "safety" features were designed by someone who never uses the equipment twice in one lifetime, and never under actual production conditions, most either fall off or are actively deliberately removed, because they're Rube Goldberg-designed PITAs, and future accidents waiting to happen.
There is no commensurate rain of severed body parts, because people who like their body parts make a conscious effort not to feed them to the machinery.

Using tools the way they're designed, within their working functional limits, in a proper work space, and with properly clean, maintained, and sharp cutting surfaces, solves about 90% of most potential accidents. Most of the rest are induced by people working beyond their own attentiveness/intelligence, which nothing will fix.

OTOH, a properly utilized push stick never spurts blood or screams when kissed by a saw blade, and no one bright enough to work with power tools has ever said "Gee, I wish I hadn't worn my safety equipment."
"There are four types of homicide: felonious, accidental, justifiable, and praiseworthy." -Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"