Tales of Honor: The Secret Fleet

Discussion of all things technological and/or gadgety
Greg

Tales of Honor: The Secret Fleet

Post by Greg »

Anyone playing the Honorverse tablet/smartphone ship combat game? I picked it up a few days ago, and I'm rather enjoying it so far.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
JohnOC

Re: Tales of Honor: The Secret Fleet

Post by JohnOC »

I played it a bit, and liked it.. but I backed myself into a corner with consumables and stopped being able to progress. They hadn't yet implemented the ability to reset your player (I think its been put in since) but I haven't been back.
The government that is big enough to give you everything you want, is powerful enough to take everything you have. – Thomas Jefferson
Greg

Post by Greg »

So far I haven't seen any dead ends you can't get around with a little caution and a fair amount of grinding.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
Greg

Post by Greg »

Well, I finally hit a brick wall there's no working around.

I got far enough into the game that any battle that isn't an easy 'gimme' fight has so much happening, so many missiles flying around, etc, that it overwhelms my phone and the game turns into a slideshow. And you can't actually fight and *win* when that's happening.

My phone is a Nexus 4, BTW.

JohnOC

Post by JohnOC »

So I downloaded it and have been playing again since being reminded.

I'm having a of more fun with a better idea of what I'm doing this time around. Not wasting my specialty missiles, and making sure to slot in the upgrades that raise the levels of the systems.

I'm in around mission 20, and HMS Courageous is almost fully upgraded in every area.. though I still have some trading out of level boosters to the tier 2 ones to free up room for other upgrades.
Screenshot_2014-12-13-15-30-48.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The government that is big enough to give you everything you want, is powerful enough to take everything you have. – Thomas Jefferson
Greg

Post by Greg »

JohnOC wrote:So I downloaded it and have been playing again since being reminded.

I'm having a of more fun with a better idea of what I'm doing this time around. Not wasting my specialty missiles, and making sure to slot in the upgrades that raise the levels of the systems.

I'm in around mission 20, and HMS Courageous is almost fully upgraded in every area.. though I still have some trading out of level boosters to the tier 2 ones to free up room for other upgrades.
Screenshot_2014-12-13-15-30-48.png
The Courageous is sweet. When you get the Q ship it's even sweeter.

Don't be afraid to grind- play battles over and over to get better equipment. I fought an early 'orange' battle and got a legendary level missile loader. With a little care I tended to win all my battles with only the gray 'freebie' missiles (hull penetrators) and proper timing. I just buried people under flights of missiles. Lots of flights of missiles.

You want the best power sources you can get to get your systems to max levels while using the fewest slots, speed of reload/recharge/cooling items (so everything cycles faster, it's enormously powerful), and disruption (missiles do extra damage to various enemy ship systems) items. Everything else is gravy. There are strategy guides online, of course.

DON'T just ahead sectors just because. Do everything, grind, explore everything at your current level, because the difficulty does ramp up from sector to sector. The sector jump where you get the 'pirate ship' is around where difficulty got so out of hand I went from routinely winning orange battles to consistently losing green ones.

JohnOC

Post by JohnOC »

Yeah, grinding a bunch more to max out the ship was what I did different this time. Last time, I got stuck because I jumped into a sector and couldn't complete the first mission that unlocked the resupply base there.