Looking for some electronics nerds...

Discussion of all things technological and/or gadgety
BDK

Looking for some electronics nerds...

Post by BDK »

OK, so for some reason, although it seems like a good system, it's difficult to find the ibutton stuff I want.

However, I think this is an ibutton/cell phone based gate controller?

Am I right?

Does anyone, who'd like some extra money for tinkering, think they could get it to work?
JohnOC

Re: Looking for some electronics nerds...

Post by JohnOC »

From reading the manual, it looks like a much more fully featured product than just a gate controller. Its more like a home security/automation system.

It does look like you can use it for gate controls, if you set up an authorized ibutton touch event to switch or pulse an output that unlocks or opens a gate.
The government that is big enough to give you everything you want, is powerful enough to take everything you have. – Thomas Jefferson
arctictom

Post by arctictom »

Umm this is beyond a gate controller , recognition of 400 unique ids and concurent control of 4 seperate systems .

What are you trying to do, specifically .
You live and learn.
Or you don't live long.
BDK

Post by BDK »

Between our various locations, , the farm, etc I have a number of doors to deal with.

I've been trying to find a convenient way to use one key/RFID card etc to open them all.

I'm going to talk to Medeco - I think they have a system which may work, somewhat reasonably/simply.

I did want to be able to track entry and exit times of various personel, but I can do that through security systems, I think - it's really only the plant that we are concerned about after hour access - and that security system will track and record who enters and when.
BobbyK

Post by BobbyK »

What kind of read distance are you requiring for the card? HID has a number of systems that would fit this use case
BDK

Post by BDK »

Contact, essentially
arctictom

Post by arctictom »

Have you looked at Sentinal Systems ? http://www.sentinelsystems.com/
You live and learn.
Or you don't live long.
BDK

Post by BDK »

We've been looking at similar systems. But, those are quite expensive, once the cost of adding the door strikes, etc is factored in.

After discussing it with the vendor, we will, most likely, be going with Cyber Lock. It makes it fairly easy, and cost effective*, means of controlling access, and maintaining an audit trail.

(We were quoted, roughly, $200-250 per door, and $100/key).

We may go with a mix of controlled physical keys as well.
arctictom

Post by arctictom »

I use Sentinal Systems exclusively because they do nice work , and have great support .
You live and learn.
Or you don't live long.
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

BDK wrote:We've been looking at similar systems. But, those are quite expensive, once the cost of adding the door strikes, etc is factored in.

After discussing it with the vendor, we will, most likely, be going with Cyber Lock. It makes it fairly easy, and cost effective*, means of controlling access, and maintaining an audit trail.

(We were quoted, roughly, $200-250 per door, and $100/key).

We may go with a mix of controlled physical keys as well.
We use them at work in "product". They're over a hundred bucks a key. The big advantage they have is you can control which key opens which door.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt