Discussion of all things technological and/or gadgety
Darrell

Don Garlits Sets Electric Dragster Record

Post by Darrell »

Wow! 82 and still rockin'!
Drag racing icon Garlits sets electric-vehicle record

Friday, May 02, 2014

by Phil Burgess, National DRAGSTER Editor

Apparently, even at age 82, “Big Daddy” Don Garlits never gets tired of breaking records. The drag racing icon added another record to a long list of achievements April 30 when his newest machine, Swamp Rat 37, set the new quarter-mile record for an electric vehicle with a pass of 7.258 seconds at 184.01 mph, eclipsing the old records 7.95 and 156.00 mph.

Unlike the nitro-burning engines that powered so many of Garlits’ earlier Swamp Rats, Swamp Rat 37 gets its juice from a 1500-amp array of lithium polymer batteries built by High Tech Systems LLC. The batteries reportedly are capable of developing the equivalent of 2,000 horsepower, which should be more than enough to push Garlits and the car to his intended goal of more than 200 mph, the same speed barrier that Garlits first broke in a front-engine Top Fueler in 1964.
- See more at: http://www.nhra.com/story/story.aspx?F_ ... CBial.dpuf
Youtube vid of the run here:

http://youtu.be/Ea4igN8Thtg
Eppur si muove--Galileo
First Shirt

Re: Don Garlits Sets Electric Dragster Record

Post by First Shirt »

That's amazing! Can't keep an old hotrodder down, can they?
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
Captain Wheelgun

Post by Captain Wheelgun »

Now that's an electric car worthy of the Swamp Rat name. I hope he does get to 200 mph.
"What is this, the Congress Avenue Independence Day Parade?" - Capt. Karl von Stahlberg, RTN
Republic of Texas Navy Archives
Darrell

Post by Darrell »

I've heard that electric vehicles can get incredible torque off the line. I wonder if they could program an optimum acceleration profile for such a car (if they're not already)?
Eppur si muove--Galileo
Steamforger

Post by Steamforger »

The technology is improving...
Darrell

Post by Darrell »

I read somewhere that The Next Big Thing may be a revolution in battery tech--you'll be able to fully charge in 4 or 5 minutes.
Eppur si muove--Galileo
Greg

Post by Greg »

Something like a 300s50p pack built from batteries like the Sony US18650VTC5 (rated for 30a drain) could approximate 1500a and 2000hp. For a couple of minutes, at best. The number of batteries required for that would weigh less than a ton.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
Aglifter

Post by Aglifter »

Darrell wrote:I read somewhere that The Next Big Thing may be a revolution in battery tech--you'll be able to fully charge in 4 or 5 minutes.
Not saying that can't happen, but the physics would be easier to use a fuel cell to reset at that speed, than a straight electric charge - might be able to come up w. a more complex polymer which can do it, though...

I don't know - the "hunch" side of me would worry about heat and degradation on that.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm Reliance on the Protection of Divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our lives, our Fortunes, & our sacred Honor

A gentleman unarmed is undressed.

Collects of 1903/08 Colt Pocket Auto
Aesop

Post by Aesop »

I see this guy in his 90s hotwiring his electric wheelchair or Hoverround and leaving skid marks down the halls at the old folks' home and knocking people off the sidewalk. :lol:
"There are four types of homicide: felonious, accidental, justifiable, and praiseworthy." -Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"
MiddleAgedKen

Post by MiddleAgedKen »

"Why does that guy have a roll cage and wheelie bars on his Hoverround?"

"Oh, him? That's Don Garlits."

Never got to see much Top Fuel action back in the day, but I got to see plenty of guys like Sox & Martin and Dyno Don Nicholson. Good times.
Shop at Traitor Joe's: Just 10% to the Big Guy gets you the whole store and everything in it!