The "Cop'sEye" Has Arrived...

Discussion of all things technological and/or gadgety
Old Grafton

The "Cop'sEye" Has Arrived...

Post by Old Grafton »

....in early-stage form. In Larry Niven's future science-fiction universe something along the lines of these things is common in urban areas; now, for better or for worse, we have a prototype.

http://mashable.com/2014/03/09/flying-t ... feedburner
I'm not old--It's too early to be this late.
Precision

Re: The "Cop'sEye" Has Arrived...

Post by Precision »

wonder how easy it is to hit with my ccw piece?
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/
Malthorn

Post by Malthorn »

Precision wrote:wonder how easy it is to hit with my ccw piece?
Screw that. How easy is it to hack with my smart phone?
Aesop

Post by Aesop »

I suspect that it will transpire that it's spendy to acquire, requires a good bit of operator skill, easily downed with something as hard to acquire as fishing line, doesn't do very well when people move indoors, is thwarted by something as simple as an opened umbrella, and as precise in a fluid crowd as a shotgun blast, thus about as likely to see actual deployment as the Metro Jetpack Patrol.

Criminals helpfully standing motionless in a large open space and staring at it mesmerized isn't very probable.

Also to be noted is the likelihood of someone either blanket-jamming the freqs, and of the certainty, should it ever be deployed IRL, of better-prepared criminals who send a counter-drone over it with something as hard to find as a 6' square of fishing net.
"There are four types of homicide: felonious, accidental, justifiable, and praiseworthy." -Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"
PawPaw

Post by PawPaw »

If it's anything like the robot that our SWAT team has, it will stay broke-down about half the time.
Dennis Dezendorf
PawPaw's House
Denis

Post by Denis »

So it begins...

http://www.businessinsider.com/raging-h ... one-2014-6

(This thread, it lives!)
Highspeed

Post by Highspeed »

Drones beware the radio ham...

Back when video downlinks were added to our beloved police helicopters a mate of mine who was a radio ham and incredibly talented with electronics ( not exactly unusual in that community :D ) identified the frequency they were using, how the data was encoded and modified an obsolete first generation satellite TV receiver to intercept it and display it on the TV in his shack...
What a guy like him could do to a drone doesn't bear thinking about...
All my life I been in the dog house
I guess that just where I belong
That just the way the dice roll
Do my dog house song