Phones and privacy...

Discussion of all things technological and/or gadgety
Aglifter

Phones and privacy...

Post by Aglifter »

A) I think I'd like to be able to send, and receive PGP encrypted emails on a phone - I've been playing w. them on my computer, and they seem fairly simple.

B) From what I can gather - although I'm not a fan of google - Android is open-sourced, and based on Linux, so the odds are better that no snooping software is hidden in its OS than in the iPhone's.

C) Combining a fingerprint scanner, and a voice recognition app, post-PRISM, seems unwise.

D) I'm tempted to attempt to root it, etc right off the bat, as I am switching over to mykolab from other products. (What happened to "I pay a company $, it gives me a product, as a model?)

E) I might be getting paranoid enough to become a Linux user.

F) It would be nice to be able to switch phones - say to something very nice, and compact which could display one line of text, while closed, and open to permit basic phone/text, contacts and calendars, and sync w. your computer program - preferably w. either replaceable internals, thus permitting a more expensive case - or a nice carbon fiber/kevlar/silver, etc case - something intended to be carried in a suit or tux.

And, most importantly, NOT have a GPS chip, or a camera.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm Reliance on the Protection of Divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our lives, our Fortunes, & our sacred Honor

A gentleman unarmed is undressed.

Collects of 1903/08 Colt Pocket Auto
BobbyK

Re: Phones and privacy...

Post by BobbyK »

The no GPS requirement won't really do you any good. They can generally triangulate your location to within about 100ft just off of relative signal strength to the nearby cell towers.
Termite

Post by Termite »

You used "cell phone" and "privacy" in the same sentence.......unless you're talking about a Trac phone. :lol:
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."
Aglifter

Post by Aglifter »

I know... The wealthiest man I've ever dealt with, didn't carry one - in his case it was because his security team was concerned that it could be used to track him - along with the team of matched Friesans and a carriage as my commuting vehicle I'm going to add private secretary in lieu of cell phone - but unless I start putting crack in the ice cream I don't think that's going to happen.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm Reliance on the Protection of Divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our lives, our Fortunes, & our sacred Honor

Denis

Post by Denis »

Aglifter wrote:I know... team of matched Friesans and a carriage as my commuting vehicle ...
The ice-cream baron in a carriage pulled by milch cows. That is too cool. You'll have a heck of a job getting matching ones, though - those blotches are pretty random.
Yogimus

Post by Yogimus »

8 dollar trac phone. tell the guy at walmart to set it up for you.
Aglifter

Post by Aglifter »

Denis wrote:
Aglifter wrote:I know... team of matched Friesans and a carriage as my commuting vehicle ...
The ice-cream baron in a carriage pulled by milch cows. That is too cool. You'll have a heck of a job getting matching ones, though - those blotches are pretty random.

They're epigenetic so even cloned don't have matching ones... I was thinking of horses - Chianinas if I used oxen - although I suppose cows could be used.