2 stroke oil question for the mechs/engineers.

Discussion of all things technological and/or gadgety
Termite

2 stroke oil question for the mechs/engineers.

Post by Termite »

Rotax calls for 50:1 premix ratio in their 2-stroke watercraft and airplane engines.

Rec Power Engineering claims their Blue Max 100:1 oil should be used at 80:1 ratios(according to the company rep on the phone) in Rotax engines. They claim it is a "highly concentrated oil". LINK
However, I'm leery. Seizing an engine while miles down the Red River(or worse yet, while flying) is A BAD THING.

What say you?
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."
Rich Jordan

Re: 2 stroke oil question for the mechs/engineers.

Post by Rich Jordan »

I always believe the engine maker over the (potential) snake oil salesman. But I only have experience with cheapie 2-strokes, not a Rotax.
Catbird

Post by Catbird »

I wouldn't do it without a specific call out in the engnie's maintenance specifications, or written confirmation from a Rotax engineer on Rotax letterhead. Even then I probably wouldn't do it.

"Highly concentrated oil" sets off all kinds of bulshit alarms.
"If at first you don't succeed, that's one data point." XKCD
Greg

Post by Greg »

Catbird wrote:"Highly concentrated oil" sets off all kinds of bulshit alarms.
What does that even MEAN?
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
PawPaw

Post by PawPaw »

What's the worst that could happen if you mixed that "highly concentrated oil" at 50:1? The engine would smoke a little bit? All two strokes smoke a little bit.

I used to run a Jett 0.35 on a mix of denatured wood alcohol and castor oil, but the Rotax is a little bit bigger than that.
Last edited by PawPaw on Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dennis Dezendorf
PawPaw's House
Aglifter

Post by Aglifter »

What, you didn't know they cut those "low-rent" oils w. water? :mrgreen:
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm Reliance on the Protection of Divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our lives, our Fortunes, & our sacred Honor

A gentleman unarmed is undressed.

Collects of 1903/08 Colt Pocket Auto
martini

Post by martini »

Just out of college I sold lubricants. I wouldn't trust the lube guy, I'd trust the engine manf.
Justice Sotomayor, States may have grown accustomed to violating the rights of American citizens, but that does not bootstrap those violations into something that is constitutional. — Alan Gura
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

What they said about the claims. Further, I would choose a lubricant that makes recommendations that are more in line with the engine manufacturer's instructions.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Termite

Post by Termite »

CByrneIV wrote:Actually, if there was too much oil in the premix, the valves and ignition could both end up unhappy.

That said, I trust Rotax to know their engines... They have some really solid engineers. I do NOT trust the claims of lubricant manufacturers.
This is an oil that Rotax recommends.

As for too much oil in the mix, fouled plugs and carboned pistons with stuck rings can be a result.

The only reason I was considering the other stuff is because at 80:1, it saves some money. And Aircraft Spruce is a little high on their shipping costs.
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Termite wrote:The only reason I was considering the other stuff is because at 80:1, it saves some money. And Aircraft Spruce is a little high on their shipping costs.
I think that is pursuing a false economy.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop