Ford's new Direct Ingection V-6 vs the old SOHC

Discussion of all things technological and/or gadgety
NVGdude

Ford's new Direct Ingection V-6 vs the old SOHC

Post by NVGdude »

So the old Mustang is starting to get a touch long in the tooth.

No real reason to get something immediately, but a 2001 with 136,000 miles isn't something I want to drive on any major road trips either.

Thinking to get at least a 2005 or newer, as that gets me the new chassis, which is a lot stiffer than the old Fox body.

Came really close to driving home in a 2008 GT yesterday, but I realized that I'd have to get gas more than once a week, which would drive me nuts. Why oh why couldn't Ford have put a decent size gas tank in those things. I figure the GT will get about 280 miles/tank while I can easily get 330 with the old push-rod V-6 in the 2001.

The real question is whether or not it is worth it to get a 2011 or 2012. The new engine is supposed to generate 306 HP, but that's at 6500 rpm. The torque band is a lot lower than that, so I'm wondering if it is of any use in the real world.

The rated 31 mpg of the new engine is of course BS in the real world, but I'm guessing it will be close to 27 in mixed real world driving as opposed to the 22-23 I get now, and would probably get with the SOHC in the 2005-2010 models.

Thoughts? I'm definitely buying used regardless. I'm not flogging a new car to death with 60 miles to work and back every day, and I'm happy to let some other take that giant "drive off the lot depreciation hit".

I'll have to take my time anyway. 90% of these are completely unsuitable as they only have two pedals. (I refuse to drive an automatic in a car, in a Truck towing a trailer it's acceptable)
Netpackrat

Re: Ford's new Direct Ingection V-6 vs the old SOHC

Post by Netpackrat »

NVGdude wrote:Thoughts? I'm definitely buying used regardless. I'm not flogging a new car to death with 60 miles to work and back every day, and I'm happy to let some other take that giant "drive off the lot depreciation hit".

I'll have to take my time anyway. 90% of these are completely unsuitable as they only have two pedals. (I refuse to drive an automatic in a car, in a Truck towing a trailer it's acceptable)
If you're buying a car with a manual, there's something to be said for one with a clutch and transmission that nobody else has had the opportunity to abuse.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
evan price

Post by evan price »

130,000 miles is no big deal with good maintenance.

For that kind of driving you describe, beat the heck out of that old car a few more years. Then those 2011 and 2012's will be cheaper.

Try this one:
http://bringatrailer.com/2013/09/13/25- ... lvo-242dl/
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc

http://ohioccwforums.org/
Ohioans for Concealed Carry:THE source for Ohio CCW information and discussion!
g-man

Post by g-man »

Drove a 2011 V6 with an automatic when they were brand new (rental car in 2010). It was a good bit faster than my Ex's '98 GT 5-speed, though I can't speak for the fuel mileage since I flogged the ever-loving hell out of in ATL. The new direct-injection motors are loads better than the old SOHC. However, as has been said, it sounds like your car has some reasonable life left, so you've got time for the '11s and '12s to come down in price some more. And I'd wager it's higher than even the 90% you guessed as only having 2 pedals.
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum