ixGyro glass cockpit app for Droid phones

Discussion of all things technological and/or gadgety
Termite

ixGyro glass cockpit app for Droid phones

Post by Termite »

ixGyro is the first true-attitude indicating glass cockpit app for Android smartphones. The reliable and robust artificial horizon is created by processing the current data of the smartphone sensors (accelerometer sensor, GPS signal and the gyroscope). Even trajectorial accelerations do not influence the true-attitude indicator. In addition to the existing aircraft instruments ixGyro is a useful tool for pilots of small aircrafts.

ixGyro provides the following aviation instruments on your smartphone:

Attitude Indicator (Artificial Horizon/Gyro)
Magnetic compass
True Course
Slip Indicator
Groundspeed
Vertical Speed Indicator
MSL Altitude

Supported smartphones:

Acer Iconia Tab A500
ASUS Eee Pad Transformer
Google/LG Nexus 4
Google/Samsung Nexus S
Google/Samsung Galaxy Nexus
Google/Samsung Nexus 10
HTC EVO 3D
HTC One X+
LG Optimus Pad
Samsung Galaxy Note
Samsung Galaxy S2
Samsung Galaxy S3
Samsung Galaxy Tab
LINK
OK, I just may have to get myself either a Droid phone, or better yet, a 7" tablet now. The idea of having all this in hand in an ultralight, microlight, or LSA is way cool...... 8-)
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."
PawPaw

Re: ixGyro glass cockpit app for Droid phones

Post by PawPaw »

Don't get yer shorts in a knot.

I recently got my first smartphone, and downloaded a compass app. All I want it to do is point North, but about half the time, it wants to point West. I can't trust if for simple compass readings, so I'm not sure that I'd trust an app that gives me horizon, heading, and altitude.
Dennis Dezendorf
PawPaw's House
JustinR

Post by JustinR »

Definately not IFR approved. But cool. There are only a smattering of iPhone apps, either they get poor reviews or are designed to connect via ad hoc wifi to the EFIS hardware in your aircraft to use your iPhone as an emergency standby display. *geek out moment!*
"The armory was even better. Above the door was a sign: You dream, we build." -Mark Owen, No Easy Day

"My assault weapon won't be 'illegal,' it will be 'undocumented.'" -KL
PawPaw

Post by PawPaw »

I've thought about this and you'd actually do better with a $100.00 Tom-Tom GPS. In a light aircraft under VFR, I'd think that you could always see the horizon, and the GPS will give you a better speed and heading than the Droid App. Many of them also give you altitude over sea level, and that would be good to know. I can see lots of utility in having a Wal-Mart GPS in the cockpit of a light sport plane.
Dennis Dezendorf
PawPaw's House
Termite

Post by Termite »

JustinR wrote:Definately not IFR approved.
Only in the most dire of circumstances would I use one in actual IMC. Hell, I'm not real happy with single-engine IFR for actual IMC anyway, unless it's a turbine.

For serious IMC, dual pilot is safer & easier(load sharing), even if the other pilot isn't IFR rated.

But you know all this....... 8-)
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."
Aesop

Post by Aesop »

All you front-seaters are overlooking a far more robust application:
Should I decide to undergo the TSA's full-body massage anytime soon, I, like millions of other backseat drivers, would love to while away the miles with a backseat cockpit display in flight, esp. on a smartphone or small tablet.

{However, pulling out a Saitek or CH Flightwheel and clamping it to your fold-down tray to mess with the rubes' heads would probably only be funny once, gang tackles are painful, and the No-Fly List is forever. So I'd skip that part. ;) }
"There are four types of homicide: felonious, accidental, justifiable, and praiseworthy." -Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"
PawPaw

Post by PawPaw »

Aesop wrote:All you front-seaters are overlooking a far more robust application:
Should I decide to undergo the TSA's full-body massage anytime soon, I, like millions of other backseat drivers, would love to while away the miles with a backseat cockpit display in flight, esp. on a smartphone or small tablet.

{However, pulling out a Saitek or CH Flightwheel and clamping it to your fold-down tray to mess with the rubes' heads would probably only be funny once, gang tackles are painful, and the No-Fly List is forever. So I'd skip that part. ;) }
Yeah, the app might be fun in that situation, but I go to extreme lengths to avoid availing myself of TSAs gentle ministrations.
Dennis Dezendorf
PawPaw's House
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

PawPaw wrote:Don't get yer shorts in a knot.

I recently got my first smartphone, and downloaded a compass app. All I want it to do is point North, but about half the time, it wants to point West. I can't trust if for simple compass readings, so I'm not sure that I'd trust an app that gives me horizon, heading, and altitude.
I had that one, too. Not too impressive.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D