Mobile Ham Rig

Discussion of all things technological and/or gadgety
Rumpshot

Mobile Ham Rig

Post by Rumpshot »

Looking to upgrade my vehicle. Would like to get a ham rig back in my ride.

Considerations:
-Must be 2 meter capable
-Interested in hf mobile capabilities
-Standard auto power consumption
-Reasonable antenna configurations
- Previous 2 meter rigs have used glass mount antennas
- HF antenna, for a vehicle, is virgin territory for me

Previous 2 meter mobile rigs have mostly been Icom units. I am comfortable with them.

Randy, hit me with your best shot here. :D
NRA Life Member
VFW Life Member
NMLRA Field Rep
North Central Arizona
randy

Re: Mobile Ham Rig

Post by randy »

Used: IC-706MKIIG (And I mean MKIIG, not the basic or MKII), Tarheel antenna of some flavor for HF, whatever floats your boat for VHF/UHF antenna (I use Diamond or Comet), throw in a Turbo Tuner and Bob's your Uncle! It's what I run.

If going new, the IC-7000 is the replacement for the 706.

Yaesu: FT-857D or FT-897D No direct experience but I don't like the display size and size of the controls when playing in the candy store compared to the 706.

Kenwood: None at this time that I'm aware of.

More later if you're interested, have to run a local ARES net.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Rumpshot

Post by Rumpshot »

Thanks Randy. That was specifically what I was looking for. Will do some homework on all the above and look for more info from you.
NRA Life Member
VFW Life Member
NMLRA Field Rep
North Central Arizona
Rumpshot

Post by Rumpshot »

Arrived on my Birthday yesterday: IC-7000 HF/VHF/UHF all mode transceiver, Little Tarheel II HF antenna, Larsen KG-2/70CXPL. Antenna tuner came too, but is incorrect, will be on Amazon later today or tomorrow.

Digging around for parts and pieces to get on-the-air soon. Too many appointments today, maybe later today...

Plan on a RigRunner 4004U for power distribution. Any thoughts on that? I like the USB powerports especially with this one. Plan a direct run from battery to the input side at 30 amps and 30 amp out to the radio.

Have not gotten the location for the HF antenna yet planned out. I am thinking a shell on the pickup and that could complicate things slightly. Right now thinking a flat strap across the front of the bed sticking out far enough on the passenger side to mount the Tarheel.
NRA Life Member
VFW Life Member
NMLRA Field Rep
North Central Arizona
Steamforger

Post by Steamforger »

For the benefit of us knuckle draggers, who can you talk to with one of these?
randy

Post by randy »

I'm a fan of RigRunners in general, and I like the 4004U. It's what I put in CINCHOUSE's new vehicle (with a direct run to the battery) and ran 2 USB extension cables out to where she can easily plug in her cell phone, tablet, etc.

That said, she's only running a VHF/UHF dual band, and my dual band is what's running from the RigRunner in my truck. My HF has it's own direct power run. By the 7000's specs (22A at high power) you should be OK as long as you track what else you plug into the RigRunner.

Check the Tarheel Antenna website for mounting ideas. Lot's of pictures from various installations. I was told by Tarheel to get the antenna as high a possible, but to at least have the top of the coil clear the roof of the vehicle. I didn't quite accomplish this on mine, but I've been happy with the results.

If you haven't already, get the LT-56 long (56") whip and the whip quick disconnect kit (KD-T).

The owner of Tarheel antennas told me himself that he sells the Little Tarheel with a short whip in order to allow it to tune up on 6 Meters, but the long whip is easier to tune up on lower frequencies and more effective.

The quick disconnect it great for pulling the whip off for parking garages etc.

Choke the hell out of everything. I have RF chokes on the control cable at the base of the Tar Heel and where it connects to the tuner. I've also choked the control head cable at the radio body and at the control head. I've avoided problems friends had (radio turning off when transmitting on 10 meters for instance) by learning from their experience.

I bought a bunch of ground strap, but have been lucky in not having to need it to date. YMMV but be prepared to have to electrically ground various parts of the truck together if you experience an excess of interference or inability to tune up.

If I think of anything else I'll post it here.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
randy

Post by randy »

Steamforger wrote:For the benefit of us knuckle draggers, who can you talk to with one of these?
Anybody with an amateur radio license. As I stated when I got mine, this is like an RF version of a Swiss Army Knife.

It has VHF/UHF for local communications (i.e. line of sight or out to 50/75 miles using repeaters) and HF for long distance (world wide under the right conditions).

For instance, on my version of his radio I've spoken to a Cuban station while traveling down the interstate in South Dakota, and a British station while in Indiana. Almost picked up Hawaii from Indiana last fall, but he signed off before I could get my turn to call him.
Rumpshot

Post by Rumpshot »

I tied a wire to its tail today and threw the BIG SWITCH. Made a fairly quick and easy QSO on a local repeater. Then tried to get back to a special event station on 40 meters, but he just could not hear me. Did listen to a guy up in Idaho coming in loud and clear, but was deep in a conversation with another guy so I did not try to talk to him.

I took possession of the ground plane for my mobile operations yesterday afternoon late. A 2013 Nissan Frontier, four door with a "long" bed. Apparently rarer than hen's teeth. A trip to Los Angeles is scheduled for next weekend. Hope to get partially wired up to check things out before we hit the road.

Lots of things to get sorted out. Where and how to mount the HF antenna, where to remote mount the control head, where to mount the rest of the radio, where to mount the VHF/UHF antenna, where do I route the power cables and antenna cables. Can I get a shell for the truck before I have to head out to Friendship, Indiana again.
NRA Life Member
VFW Life Member
NMLRA Field Rep
North Central Arizona
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Rumpshot wrote:I took possession of the ground plane for my mobile operations yesterday afternoon late. A 2013 Nissan Frontier, four door with a "long" bed.
That's funny, right there! :lol:
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
Rumpshot

Post by Rumpshot »

Well the calendar is looking to get in the way of getting this one to completion before making my road trip. The topper is coming and it will impact mounting the HF antenna. Maybe the VHF/UHF antenna too. My window for topper installation is about 1/2 day long, before hitting the road. Kinda closes the window for other installation options...

Other required parts and pieces are not yet on hand too...

May juryrig the whole thing to try it out, but probably not.

2-meter rig and a mag mount will probably be the best I can come up with at this point until sometime late Sep or Oct.

Need to be on the road eastbound about Tuesday 10 Sep.
NRA Life Member
VFW Life Member
NMLRA Field Rep
North Central Arizona