auto transmission 95 dodge ram 2500 diesel 4x4

Discussion of all things technological and/or gadgety
Precision

auto transmission 95 dodge ram 2500 diesel 4x4

Post by Precision »

I have my diesel truck. It HATES having a transmission.

I bought the truck with about 100k on it and the trans chewed itself to bits at about 120k. I had it rebuilt to the tune of about $3000. +/- 100k miles later it is a paperweight in the driveway again.

The Aamco that rebuilt it did not make me aware of upgrade options .... despite the fact she was being used to pull a trailer 75% of the time. NOT happy with that, but at this point the truck isn't worth doing a rebuilt much less the upgrade rebuild as the truck is worth $4-5k. So I have been looking for a couple of months for a used transmission.

I cannot seem to find one anywhere. I just did an internet search where people bid for my business and got 8 results. Last time I did this, non of them would work for an auto, diesel, 4x4. Subtract any one of those and I can get one. Have all three and it is as likely to find as an Obama tax cut.

Suggestions???
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/
rightisright

Re: auto transmission 95 dodge ram 2500 diesel 4x4

Post by rightisright »

Try a local boneyard. Many of them have online access to other junkyards' inventory across the country.
evan price

Post by evan price »

Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc

http://ohioccwforums.org/
Ohioans for Concealed Carry:THE source for Ohio CCW information and discussion!
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Part of the issue is these transmissions are too valuable as cores for the rebuilders.

You may have to bite the bullet and order a rebuilt A518/46RE.. I think Transdepot.net has rebuilds for 1500 bucks.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Precision

Post by Precision »

HTRN wrote:Part of the issue is these transmissions are too valuable as cores for the rebuilders.

You may have to bite the bullet and order a rebuilt A518/46RE.. I think Transdepot.net has rebuilds for 1500 bucks.

Makes sense. $1500 for a rebuild would be a deal considering $1400 for non rebuilt is what I have been seeing before it turns to vapor.

gonna check the links above.

ETA - according to their site, I need the 618 / 48re which is $2500. More or less where I have been. sigh.
Not really sure what the difference between the 618 and the 518 is.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/