this one goes out to the watch guys out there....

Discussion of all things technological and/or gadgety
doc Russia

this one goes out to the watch guys out there....

Post by doc Russia »

For our 11th anniversary, my wife and I are exchanging watches. She has just received her Cartier Roadster.
The watch I would like does not seem to exist. It's a black titanium analog, automatic with tritium. It also has a recessed flat sapphire chrystal face, black dial, and slide bezel. Also has to look cool.
So, the closest thing I have found is the Luminox F-22
http://www.luminox.com/watches/air/+/watch/A.9278/
If anyone has any suggestions for another watch which would fit the bill, please offer up your suggestions.
"That which does not transmit light creates its own darkness"
-Marcus Aurelius
"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one."
-Captain Mal Reynolds, Firefly
doc Russia

Re: this one goes out to the watch guys out there....

Post by doc Russia »

I'm open to them. Like I said, nobody has everything I want, so I will have to make compromises.
"That which does not transmit light creates its own darkness"
-Marcus Aurelius
"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one."
-Captain Mal Reynolds, Firefly
Aglifter

Post by Aglifter »

Not sure if its what you are looking for, but Sinn makes some neat looking models in Ti. As does Hublot
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm Reliance on the Protection of Divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our lives, our Fortunes, & our sacred Honor

A gentleman unarmed is undressed.

Collects of 1903/08 Colt Pocket Auto
308Mike

Post by 308Mike »

I'm going to send your info to my brother who has a jewelry store and sells LOTS of watches. Perhaps he might have an idea to fill your requirements.
POLITICIANS & DIAPERS NEED TO BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON

A person properly schooled in right and wrong is safe with any weapon. A person with no idea of good and evil is unsafe with a knitting needle, or the cap from a ballpoint pen.

I remain pessimistic given the way BATF and the anti gun crowd have become tape worms in the guts of the Republic. - toad
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

Just as an observation, I have a Wenger titanium (band and case) that has been flogged around in a steel mill for about 8 years, has been through multiple batteries, and at least two crystals, and still keeps great time. I'm also the on-shift EMT, so I need a watch that ALWAYS works, and this one has (knock on wood). Also got The Boss the lady's version, since she has a base-metal allergy that prohibits stainless. Hers also has been a trooper.

Just my free opinion, and probably worth about what you paid for it.
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
SeekHer

Post by SeekHer »

Check out The Gevril Group who represent some seventy watchmakers ranging in price from a few hundred to a few hundred thousand dollars.

World Tempus has some great reviews and a superb makers/brands links section from all over while Swiss Time deals with breaking news in horology from you guessed it, Suisse.

Also check out the digital magazine WATCH Journal

I love watches and if I could I'd have a hundred and change then a few times daily for the setting I'll be in or the mood I'm in!

I'm very partial to Patek Phillipe, TAG Heuer, Ulysse Nardin and am drooling over a Cvstos Challenge Chrono (Black) and a lovely little company called BALL although I'm not buying any at present.
There is a certain type of mentality that thinks if you make certain inanimate objects illegal their criminal misuse will disappear!

Damn the TSA and Down with the BATF(u)E!
Support the J P F O to "Give them the Boot"!!
MiddleAgedKen

Post by MiddleAgedKen »

TAG Heuer is one of the more interesting business cases in the inventory; I use it every semester to illustrate targeting and positioning. Short version: In the mid-1980s they streamlined the product portfolio, added some women's models, raised the average price of their watches about 400%...

...and sales increased about 700%. Price elasticity says this usually doesn't happen, so what did happen is that the company found a different customer segment that considered themselves ill-served by the available offerings (more detail to it, but those are the broad strokes). Volkswagen is another fascinating repositioning story, but that's a tale for another time.

Those watches are out of my league, but sitting next to my laptop is an old Timex Indiglo that is still going strong after 16 years. Only battery-powered wristwatch I've ever had that lasted more than three.
Shop at Traitor Joe's: Just 10% to the Big Guy gets you the whole store and everything in it!
Highspeed

Post by Highspeed »

My Dad had a mechanical digital watch, I doubt it was very expensive, but what a cool piece of early 70's technology. Sadly my bitch of a mother threw it away with all the rest of his stuff shortly after he died.
All my life I been in the dog house
I guess that just where I belong
That just the way the dice roll
Do my dog house song
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Sorry for the necro, but...

I'm ready to upgrade from the $25 watch. Here's what I'd like:

- Analog hands
- Good crystal
- Leather band
- Alarm
- Date
- Countdown timer
- Not overly large or heavy
- (ETA) legible - some of them have so much gingerbread you can't read them.

I have a Casio with analog hands and a small digital sub panel like this. It does the job, but I'm tired of it.

So. Brand? Models? Being rather utilitarian, I'd rather not go too much over $200.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
Kommander

Post by Kommander »

What will this watch be used for, or rather what activities will you be doing with it?